1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We're going to be on hard knocks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Dec 30, 2019.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I've never watched Hard Knocks and wouldn't even if our Steelers were on it. Is there any other business that's forced to cooperate with an entertainment entity, or else? Why is this okay?

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Heres some clarification:

As a reminder, teams can be forced to appear on Hard Knocks if all three of the following criteria are met. They don't have a head coach heading into their first year. They haven't appeared on Hard Knocks in the last ten years. They haven't made the playoffs in the last two seasons.3 days ago

If a team has a new head coach, they are not eligible to be on the show. So unless the Steelers choose to move on from head coach Mike Tomlin, they can be chosen by the league to be featured in 2020. If an NFL team meets the criteria to be chosen for the show, they cannot refuse being featured.3 days ago

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Did the guys want to be on hard knocks the last 3 games? They played like they did.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd watch if the Steelers were on it but I've never had any desire to watch other teams on it. I'm surprised it has enough viewership to continue.

Then again, I'm in the minority, I hate reality TV.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The money saved on the Game Ticket, would probably pay for the Airline ticket.

I still do not believe most fans would want to lose a home game over this.

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Then give the fans a vote..I give a rat's a$$ about that stupid show. lol

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    That's insane. Why is HBO allowed to dictate to the NFL? Or is it the other way around?

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's less reality TV and more documentary with some storyline to drive viewership. It's like a NFL films or the year end yearbooks. If you ever catch ESPN''s 30 in 30 series . Less survivor and Real World more sport related.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Monet makes the world go round. HBO gets exclusive content, the league gets a premium paying audience and it sells the product. Win Win big Win.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Claude Monet was a great artist, but I think you’re giving him too much credit here.

Joking aside, you’re right - it’s the money. NFL owners all benefit from the contract with HBO, and they collectively signed off on the rules. Take the money, live with the consequences.

• Like Like x 2
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Every pro sports team/player is forced to cooperate with entertainment entities all the time. ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC, etc. HBO is no different

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    FORCED to cooperate? Is there a baseball version of Hard Knocks? A hockey version? If you're talking about MNF, SNF, TNF, that seems more like a favor to the network than, "you WILL play on Monday night or else!" MNF used to be an honor!

13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Players and coaches are forced to talk to the media. If they don't, they get fined. The NHL has had a program similar to hard knocks. Don't follow MLB or NBA close enough to know, but there are always documentaries on players, teams, leagues, sports, etc. I'm sure there's expectations of teams/players to cooperate with all this stuff. It's part of being a pro player.

I really don't get why people are so against hard knocks. Have any of you ever watched it? It's not some evil program that creates drama inside the locker room. It's more of a documentary than reality TV. Not much different than a current version of the NFL network program A Football Life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I've never seen it. It just seems wrong to tell a team that they have to cooperate with an outside entity. Giving interviews is one thing (Marshawn) letting HBO in to your practices and locker room is another.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The owners all signed off on the deal, so all they are being forced to do is live up to their word.

16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    There's 50 reporters in locker rooms every single day. They're at every game and every practice. The only difference is instead of for a highlight show, this is for a documentary type show. Either way, there's tons of outside entities at training camp anyway, the only difference is HBO is making a show out of it that isn't only about highlights.

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Highlight shows aren't shown before the games are played like practices are. You, and others, obviously don't see a problem with HBO filming the teams practices. It just bothers me that the league has decided it HAS to be done. It should be an honor, not an obligation. A team coming off a bad season doesn't really need more distractions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The NFL signed a 4 year contract extension with HBO in 2017 for hard knocks, money in their pocket thats why teams dont have any say so about it.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yup, the Rooneys and the other owners agreed to the terms of the agreement and cashed HBOs check. So now they have to let their cameras in at Latrobe.

20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

This one is easy. For years, Stiller fans could chuckle and look down their noses at those stupid, pathetic loser franchises that end up on Hard Knocks. They could brag arrogantly that this couldn't happen to their wondefully beloved team. Now, they're in the same boat as the Browns and Raiders, at least in this one regard.

But I agree with you, I don't see what the big deal is either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Here's a little break down on the teams eligible. Also, if I am understanding this right, a team could volunteer for it which would let these other teams off the hook although I don't know if any team has ever done that.

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/hbo-hard-knocks-2020/

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Maybe this will convince the Rooneys to get a new HC.

23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I for one would like to see who is doing what, why, and how then see how it manifests into our 2020 record. Maybe some dots can be connected then.

24. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

Nice to be ranked # 1 somewhere, I suppose.

But where are they getting this "Roethlisberger will most likely be entering his final NFL season..." crap from? I know he had a season-killing injury (both personal and team), but I don't recall anyone associated with him saying that "this is it". In fact, he says he wants to continue playing 2020 and beyond. "Journalists"... SMH.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I tried to watch hard knocks this past year but didn't make it to the final episode. It was meh. Seemed scripted to much to me, like all the glory hounding the NFL strives for to produce a "positive image."