1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offer Munch the moon to come back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There was a thread prior to the start of the season asking what was the biggest loss to the team and several of us said Munch and it absolutely turned out true.

I just read an article on how Sarrett failed to adjust to overload blitzes in the last three games. Munch never would have allowed that. Buffalo exploited it and Jets and Ravens copied it. That is unacceptable.

The line was a big part of the problem this year, mostly in the run blocking, at least until those last three weeks when pass protection fell apart.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    No way he comes back just to be the OL coach.

I believe he has a daughter who lives in Denver which was a major factor in him going there in the first place.

Remember, he interviewed to be the HC and didn't get it and he still went there for a lesser role.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Amen. Go get him back. Fire OC and strength and conditioning coach. I know that, I will get alot of disagrees with this next statement. But, I would offer Deebo ... the position of S&C coach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Some of it is on Shaun Sarrett for certain. However, I would not place all the blame on him. Doesn't this Offensive Line have three Pro Bowl Caliber players on it?!

Keep in mind that, during Training Camp, that question about Munchak leaving was posed to the team. I do not recall who answered it specifically but the consenus was that the Offensive Line would be fine due to the continuity. Even earlier this season, we saw major issues.

Overall, while I do believe Shaun Sarrett took some lumps, let us not placate all the blame on him. This Offensive Line underperformed big time. Nevermind their performance, they are getting up there in age the same.

We really cannot evaluate Shaun fully after one season. Keep in mind that Munchak had those very same Offensive Lineman in their prime. Cannot say the same for Sarrett sans DeCastro.

Sarrett NEEDS young talent to actually gauge his performance. Given the circumstances, I am impressed the Offensive Line did as well as it did heading down the stretch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wonder how Munch would be as an OC. I would expect an offense coordinated by him to have a focus on tailoring plays to the ability of the O line to actually block them. It doesn’t necessarily take an X’s and O’s Wiz kid to run an offense.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember the daughter motive but it was a lateral move so maybe he would do it again if the money was enough. Do I think it would happen, no but I would offer him gobs of money to try and convince him.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont think munch wants any part of this cluster F***...

• Agree Agree x 9
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I also remember reading or hearing during the regular season that Munch was very involved with designing the ground game. Does anyone else recall that? Could also have a lot to do with why running attack suffered.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Its funny you mention this because I was chicken little about this as soon as it went down and I hate to be one of those forum types to say I told you so and second guess things in my favor and wait until the OL sh!ts the bed to comment on the forum...versus if the change was transparent...I would not be chirpn.

i think he had a good eye for PS and UFA OL personnel also and was like the OL whisperer. That is the type of intangible impact that doesn't show up on the box scores.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah it was talked about during the season that Munch crafted the game plan for the run game. I think that more than anything showed how far below Sarrett and Fichtner were.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    More money won't bring him back. I heard rumors that he was so valued at the Steelers that his salary negotiations amounted to the Steelers sliding a cocktail napkin across the table, Munchak would write a number on the napkin, slide it back, and the Steelers would pay it. I'll bet we did all we could do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My feeling was that it wasn't so much money as it was money and opportunity. If he was as involved with the blocking scheme and run game as was reported he had to have some aspirations for that assistant coach title like Mitchell has.

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    giphy-1.gif

Imagine coming off the field and seeing this? Not the guy.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I was gonna say this. OL coach... nope. Why not OC?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    they would need to offer him offensive coordinator at the minimum, however , the Steelers aren’t ditching randy with Ben around. That’s bens hand picked guy if they fire randy maybe Ben decides his elbow is a bit sore and doesn’t play. munch being close to family in Denver as well... I don’t see him even wanting to really come back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Its not like we would get a stranger to come in and run the show. Munch knows Ben and vise versa and Ben may really like the idea or at least not resist it Not sure why we are even discussing this as Tomlin has already said RF did a great job this year. Read this on one of the Steeler sites and nearly fell out of my chair. That's why the swamp needs to be drained. JMO

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Speaking of Wiz. Bring him back as well

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah because Denver is so much better than Pittsburgh :shrug:.

19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Very unlikely munch is coming back but I’d be fully supportive of giving him the OC job if RF is moving on.

20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    :facepalm: The guy didn't even want the Steelers to give him an offer because he wasn't going to take it anyway. He's not coming back!

And I don't want an offensive line coach to be an offensive coordinator. Show me some examples of where that has worked out.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sadly this is probably true. I remember that it was strange he still left after he lost out on the HC job. I'm sure he does want to be closer to his daughter but I always felt that there was more to it. Place was definitely a circus.

What are you disagreeing with? Wanting to bring him back or that he's coming back? Because I never said the later and to disagree with the former is crazy.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am sure all of you have heard of a run game coordinator,
    well we need one bad or an OC that understands the importance
    of a well executed run game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Then seeing this next to him lol

BBC442B5-C78D-483E-84F9-517C126CB289.jpeg
    F0652435-3E17-4668-83B8-2DA7F43DE1B0.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol I think I just disagreed with it because of the post title. I don't disagree with what you said. If Munch wants to come back as OL coach, sure. But we know that's not happening. As OC? No thanks.
    But I wasn't wild about Sarrett getting the job, I'd be fine giving him the boot.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotcha. Yeah, there is this reasoning out there that because they are a veteran group that has been coached up by Munch that they would be able to continue on their merry way but what happened in Buffalo, Jets and Ravens is exactly why you need him, that never would have happened on his watch.

Players always need coaching, no matter how good they get. Otherwise Belichick could spend his seasons with Kraft at sex parlors while the team rolls on without him.

• Agree Agree x 1