1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do we improved

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by chuckie_os, Dec 30, 2019.

1. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    this might be kinda true but I think its hard to tell when there was no QB capable of getting them the ball and the def knew this. I'm not sold on mason being a bust. I actually think he is the QB capable to replace Ben.as for WR Diontae johnson is a star in the making a d that will only make juju better.as for the oline I dont know what happened to them it's hard to imagine they all hard down years at same time.Oline coach is a must

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The D looks good. Bud can go. Try to keep Javon and draft OLB in Rd. 2. Still don't like Butler but he isn't going anywhere. Better depth is always welcome. If Bud stays over Javon then NT might be our first pick.

-------------------

The OC is a moron. If there are any coaching changes at all, I would start there.

The OL is aging and not worth the $ it gets. I'd surely look to change that. Obligatory Munch reference here too.

The RBs we have, plus any draft/cheap-add RBs we get, can be a decent RBBC.

WRs are fine. Vance should go. Add a cheap TE somewhere with decent hands and actually throw to him.

I'm worried about QB going forward. Ben might be able to give us one more solid year. They did Rudolph no favors this season and Duck is not an NFL QB. I wonder if some Tannehill/Keenum type vet takes over once Ben is gone. Either than or we go QB in 2021 Rd. 1 and that's our guy. I haven't given up on Rudolph either but he was worse than I expected.

3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I am not so sure about that. I do not think one had to do with the other. Minkah was a guy they wanted badly in the 18 draft and the opportunity presented itself. One could argue that the trade would have made even more sense with Ben, one because they had a better chance to win and two because the 1st rd pick would be even lower.

4. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017

defs 2 that would have sealed the wild

5. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Sorry, I meant that Miami likely wouldn’t have accepted our first-round pick if it looked to be very late in round one.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    DL
    Heyward
    Hargrave
    Tuitt

OLB
    Watt
    Dupree

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Hargrave leaves, they can find a replacement later in the draft, the second round might be too early. They found Hargrave in the 4th round.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Dupree :lolol: you got sucked into it's contract time.

The sht list is 1000 times longer than yours . Tuitt can't even stay healthy i didnt even know Hargrave was still playing, i hardly hear his name.

9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I've always been skeptical of PFF's grading and what I heard on 93.7 the fan this morning cemented that. PFF's top 4 Steelers on offense this year are:
    1.Matt Feiler
    2. Big Al
    3. David DeCastro
    4. James Conner

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Okay negative Nancy :facepalm:

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Changes I would make?! Here are my top 10

1.) SEND RANDY FICHTNER TO THE CENTER OF THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE!!

2.) Get rid of Ramon Foster, Mark Barron, Anthony Chickillo and Vance McDonald. Save up some money.

3.) Re sign Bud Dupree.

Since Article 7 of the 2011 NFL CBA, every Steelers player under the rookie contract who has had their Fifth Year Option picked up is signed long term. I doubt Dupree will be the first to not get one.

4.) Figure out the impending T.J. Watt Contract Crisis.

Assuming he continues his level of production in 2020, it is possible that T.J Watt eclipses 50 sacks in 4 seasons. That said, we need to find a way to lock him up long term. The Fifth Year Option will not apply to this guy.

5.) Restructure Ben's Contract.

Ben can cry until the sun sets on the day. If he wants one final shot at the Super Bowl, he will comply. Saves the Steelers roughly 10 million via OverTheCap.

6.) Obtain a Veteran Backup QB

I do believe Mason is the guy. I however, also believe that this year may have been a bit too early for him. That said, acquire a veteran player from Free Agency. Force Mason to beat him out if he can. If not, oh well. Should Ben go down again, we have a spot starter who is ready and able.

7.) Switch the position of Terrell Edmunds to Inside Linebacker.

Terrell's best year's at Virgina Tech came at the Linebacker position. He has played the position once. He can do it again. Besides, with Mark Barron gone and an offseason to implement the conversion, Terrell will have plenty of time to adjust. Work with Terrell's stengths and not his weaknesses.

8.) Draft a Running Back in Round 2 at all costs.

Chuba Hubbard, D'Andre Swift, Travis Etienne, Johnathan Taylor or J.K. Dobbins. Those are the options. Would prefer either Chuba or J.K. but the other options are there for the taking. NO PROJECTS!!

9.) Draft a Tight End

This Tight End class stinks! Albert Okwuegbunam is one of the biggest boom or bust players in the entire draft. That said, Brycen Hopkins, the best one in the draft, is likely gone in Round 2 anyway. Picking Albert in the Third via the compensatory formula would be the safe play... assuming he is there.

10.) Montior Ben's health throughout Offseason Program.

Ben. Cannot. Get. HURT. Please oh please... do NOT let this happen. Don't care if he wants more reps. He complains, so be it. He will thank us later in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok homer Joe,,the negatives speak louder than the positives , thats why the team sucks. It's proof who is right.

We have the D to complete, now its the offense that is a mess.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He didn't know Hargrave was playing, tells you all you need to know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So many needs, I think MR will be fine as a backup. As for third string: can’t go with what we have so need to find cheap talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Fire Danny Smith

get a new punter

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

QB, OL, TE, and WR

I think our RB depth is fine. Give them a good O-line and we are solid. The reason I say O-line is because we will be losing 1-2 bodies and the guys we have are aging rapidly. I do also believe that good QB play would have helped our O-line tremendously. Defenses could stack the box and blitz with furry and they knew our QB couldn't keep them honest. Ben can read blitzes and would have made most teams pay for the way they went after our QB this year. A good QB would have also freed up some lanes for the running game by making the safeties play back. So I'm not as sour on our O-line and RB's as most here are. I just know that we have to replace some guys next season so it must be a priority. Opponents had ZERO respect for our passing game because of our QB's and WR's. SO IMO you cannot fairly judge the O-line and RB's.

We need another WR, that's obvious. Granted they were set up to fail this season with out a QB, so I think we are better than what we saw...but another playmaker is needed to replace Brown. Juju has me worried. He dropped too many balls and did nothing to help this team in 2019. He took a serious step backwards.

A good TE would do so much to free up our running game, neutralize the blitz, and reduce the double coverage on our WR's. Our TE play has been consistently inconsistent. IMO TE might be a good use of our 2nd rnd pick if there's not an O-lineman or WR worth grabbing.

Ben is old, he's much more fragile ...you absolutely have to have a competent QB backing him up. Someone to challenge Mason at least. Duck needs to be cut. He's not an NFL QB.

All in all we have too many needs for 2020 so we will have to dip into FA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with a lot of this....except

Dupree? If his contract has a yearly salary approaching what the tag is I’m tagging him this year. Sorry but you’re gonna have to prove it to me again. We can’t afford to be wrong with TJs deal coming up.

Ben? He should get all the reps he wants and we can’t afford to play it safe and have springs and washers fly out of his elbow in week 2 again. Restructure? Lol I doubt it unless it somehow makes him more money. He’s not going to go through rehab to take a pay cut.

Edmunds.? Position switch I don’t see why we wouldn’t entertain the idea. I said it going back to last year. The problem is that Safety now becomes a priority over RB in the 2nd round unless there’s some way we can pick up another one in FA but cap may be strapped.

Veteran QB? See cap strapped.

TEs? If we cut Vance it’s a must we re sign Vannett. Question is has Gentry shown enough to be relied upon as a number 2 or even a 1 if Vannett gets injured? If not we may have to look towards another veteran TE which would probably preclude us from drafting one any earlier than the 5th with limited draft capital. If at all.

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers could probably get Mariota for cheap or Jameis Winston to compete with Rudolph for #2. Andy Dalton would be too expensive, he should be able to start somewhere... likewise with Cam Newton.

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    you forgot to say... boom. lol

we have a good receiver core, QB play was really bad

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Yep it tells you that the steelers weren't televised that much in Toronto. ( thank god) When they were i didnt see him do very much.

• Like Like x 1
  21. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If Ben comes back healthy and on top of his game, then many things are fixed. However, I think he doesn’t come back or is not as good. I think we will need to do whatever possible to move up in 2021 draft and get an elite QB.

In the interim, Mariota could be the answer. He might even do well enough to hold off on an elite QB in the draft for a few years.

I would love to get a DK Metcalf type WR in the draft, but we have bigger needs. Same with a top RB, we can work with what we got. L. McCoy would be a nice stopgap, but we probably can’t afford him.

Round 2: get an edge rusher or OL. Dupree will be gone.
    Round 3: whichever we didn’t pick for #2
    Round 4+: TE, CB, NT

22. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    OL top priority.

Good OL play opens lanes for rushing, brings another into the box to defend it, and then gives the qb an extra couple seconds to throw from the pocket.

Good OL play elevates the entire offense. Bad OL play gives us this year.

Fix the OL and watch the offense start scoring again.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I can see this. Feiler, al and dd, should stay. Finney should replace pouncey. He should also lose about 10 lbs. of that gut and replace it with some muscle. We either move feiler to guard and use banner or chuks at RT. Find out where derwin grey may workout best.

The offensive line has to be fixed on the interior or Ben won't function for long.

Benny Snell has the making of a feature back if Conner goes down.

We keep Cain and look to draft a fast deep threat at wr to add to the fold.

Butler goes. We draft some d-line help. Barron goes nowhere. We don't need to create another void in the middle. We come back year two with bush, barron and UG3 as the rotation.

I'd keep lynch in the qb mix but add a vet qb coach.

We look for another safety to help out in sub packages. Draft or FA. Doesn't have to be an all pro.

TE. Sign vannett and add one in the draft. Gentry will be worked with.

get a friggin punter. Get rid of smith as co-o.

vet coaches good at what they do. Daniels retire. Get younger here and out of the mold of the old TE.
    Sherman gone. Add a good vet wr coach to work with our young group.
    Add DC and replace LB coaches.

cut
    Berry
    pouncey
    Foster
    mccullers
    McDonald
    chickillo
    nix
    Switzer
    Holton
    Duck
    VW I know not popular. Keep spillane.

extend watt as soon as possible. Work with ola and skipper and add an olb.

add a NT and work with buggs. Add a DE in the draft or work with mondeaux.

Go after clemsons DC. Promise dabo the moon and stars to relocate to pittsburgh. -- wishful thinking here.

:cool:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015

Agree with most of this. You know where I'd start but since that ain't gonna happen...

Fichtner out and he takes Sarrett with him. Cutting those four vets saves about $20M. Restructure Ben. RB in Rd.2. Find a TE somewhere. Add late round OL depth. Hodges out and add a vet QB. We'd have coasted into the playoffs with someone like Tannehill. Work with Mason all off season; there's still hope there.

Numbers 3 and 4 have the same solution, let Bud go and give that money to Watt in a long term contract. Dupree is replaceable. I would absolutely try Edmunds at one of the LB spots (maybe even Bud's) since he sucks something awful at S. What a horrid pick. So SS is a need. If Hargrave fits in all of that, great. If not, lock up some role players and/or find a useful FA or two. Draft NT/SS/LB in the mid rounds.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Another guy who doesn't even watch many games, but has all the answers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1