1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin Says Randy Fichtner Has Been ‘Fantastic’ This Year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Mike Tomlin Says Randy Fichtner Has Been ‘Fantastic’ This Year

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on December 29, 2019

If you’re just feeling plain sad after the Pittsburgh Steelers were eliminated from the playoffs today, this may make you feel angry.

During the second half of the game, CBS play-by-play announcer said Mike Tomlin offered a glowing endorsement of OC Randy Fichtner and the job he’s done this season.

Here’s what Eagle said at the 3:30 mark of the third quarter in the Steelers’ 28-10 loss Sunday.

“We asked Mike Tomlin about the job Randy Fichtner’s done. He said he’s been fantastic. He’s dealt with a lot. His positive attitude filters down to the other coaches and players. He never complains. He just has a can-do approach to the job.”

Though he didn’t specify, this conversation presumably occurred in a pre-production meeting.

Perspective is important. Fichtner has had a near impossible task of trying to lead this MASH unit that’s featured a revolving door at nearly every position. But clearly, Fichtner has done this offense no favors, failed to elevate the play of any individual, and the offense finished last in too many categories.

In the loss to Baltimore, Pittsburgh mustered only one offensive touchdown – again – ten first downs, and 168 total yards of offense. Devlin Hodges went 9/25 for 95 yards and no touchdowns.

Though most fans want Fichtner fired, based on Tomlin’s endorsement and the close relationship that exists between Fichtner and Ben Roethlisberger, expect him to return as offensive coordinator in 2020. The Steelers aren’t likely to swap OCs in Ben’s final years, that was the reason for promoting Fichtner in the first place, and there aren’t any other in-house options to turn to.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/mike-tomlin-says-randy-fichtner-has-been-fantastic-this-year/

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    thats like me being terrible at my job but im an all around good positive guy lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Perfect example of Dumb and Dumber.....

• Like Like x 2
  4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
  5. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Tomlin would say something like this. The guy will place a mask on all his and the teams failures. If Tomlin actually believes his spew, more reason to get rid of Tomlin. The truth is, no changes will ever come to be as long as Ben is the QB. Randy is Bens buddy, Pouncey is Bens buddy. Seems to me the offense is better with coaches Ben doesn't get along with such as Haley, Wisenhunt .
    I get it that we had no Ben, young quarterbacks, receivers that are sketchy and an O-line that misses Munchek. Other teams have rallied around a running game or hid their poor qb's with play calling. The only thing that has gotten us to an 8-8 season was an almost number one pick at every position defense. With the pedigree of our defense, Marv Lewis, Freddy Kitchens could have gotten us to 8-8.
    All this talk about never having a losing season is just an obscure stat.
    Browns and Bengals were almost always four victories each season. Many times we've split with Baltimore so there are always four or five wins. Add to the mix we have a hall of fame quarterback that usually gets us 2 wins a season on his own within the remaining 10 or 11 games. Being a 500 team is just a stat that means nothing.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    And here’s the biggest issue that I see with Tomlin: lack of accountability. Fichtner was very ineffective, and he frequently put players in situations that were tailor made for failure (a good example being Samuel throwing his first NFL pass from deep in our territory vs. the Ravens, another being ignoring TEs in the pass offense). He was certainly saddled with injuries, but it often looked like he was throwing gasoline on a dumpster fire with his game plans and play calling. Yeah, he was good statistically last year, but all he really did was let Ben do whatever he wanted to do.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Look no further than Keith Butlers defensive turnaround to see why Randy Fitchner will not be fired. Add in all the injuries and there is the built in excuse for keeping him around along with the fact that Ben supports the continuity. Honestly though, Todd Haley's offensive play calling was 10X better than Fitchner's will ever be but he was run out of town just the same as Bruce Arians demise. Arians was bombs away on 3rd and 1. Fitcher is a Wildcat frenzy no matter down and distance nor the opponent. That did fade out after the Bills game though in which it never should have been incorporated in the first place. Haley had some great plays but couldn't get along with anyone, especially Roethlisberger.

At the end of the day, MT is not calling the shots on position coaches hiring and firings. He's just merely along for the ride and using whatever pieces the Front Office puts in place. The only way this will ever change is if or when MT is shown the door which isn't happening anytime soon.

Look for no changes to this coaching staff at all this offseason. Get used to Danny Smith and Randy Fitchner. All indication are both will be back for at least the next season if not beyond. One of the biggest impacts of the coaching staff in 2019 was letting Mike Muchak walk.

8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    This has been evident from the moment he got hired. As I mentioned in another thread he needs to pull power play like Cowher did after the 6-10 '99 season and demand more control or else walk. If you're going to get the blame regardless you might as well get the control.

As for Fichtner, I'm not going to support the guy nor defend him. I'm just not knowledgeable enough. It cracks me up how fans are never happy with the OC. We couldn't get rid of Arians, Haley, or now, Fichtner fast enough. Offensive co-ordinator and HC are the only positions in the world where a man can work his entire career moving up to the highest echelons of his chosen profession and then suddenly become an idiot in the eyes of people who couldn't name more than four formations. It's absolutely crazy. Imagine someone being the Head of Surgery at Mass General and suddenly everyone knows how to transplant a kidney better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    What do you expect him to say when he knows it will likely be talked about on TV by the guy calling your game?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This. If Tomlin said: “he’s a complete **** and I want to fire him”, it’s not exactly the most accountable thing for an HC to do.

I think Fichtner goes when Ben goes. I also suspect that Tomlin has had a big hand in the D this year, and Butler is getting managed down. Just a suspicion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Some fans don't have good sense. They prefer that Tomlin trash the guy in a public forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So you are unemployed but you have some good friends...lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t really expect Tomlin to say anything different. Now if he actually believes that he should be committed to Bellevue Hospital for evaluation. There was a article over at SD that brought up our protection issues over the last 3 games. Don’t remember the stats exactly but the sack % per drop back saw a big increase over the last 3 games. It mentions that Buffalo had managed to find and exploit a weakness in our OL by bringing pressure up the middle. The Jets and Ravens then followed suit. The point being is the OL coach, the OC and the HC didn’t make the necessary adjustments to counteract it and we’re wondering why we once again collapsed down the stretch. One of the biggest issues with this staff is the lack of forward thinking. We are reactionary and usually too late in our planning.

We do what we do is dead and buried especially in a copycat league where everyone is trying to exploit the next advantage they can find.....we’re still running the wildcat. What’s next the wave in the stands....

14. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    That is how good friends talk about each other. Hard to throw a long time good friend under the bus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I had a middle level manager at the company I work for ask for an opinion about a coworker. He said so in so is a good worker. I looked at him skeptically and he amended it by saying well at least he shows up everyday. I said yes, yes e does. He doesn't do anything but f@#&-off but at least he shows up everyday. Reminds me of Tomlins positive attitude statement.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Tomlin Says Blitz Pickup Woes Were Team Issue But Admits Offense Struggled Schematically

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on December 30, 2019

Of all the surprises this season, maybe none rise above the meltdown that was the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offensive line of the final three weeks of the season. Against Buffalo, the Jets, and Ravens, the offense had no answer for overload LB/DB blitzes. And they paid the price, causing their QB play to tank, their offense to reach new lows, and ultimately end their playoff hopes.

In his post-game press conference after Sunday’s loss to Baltimore, Mike Tomlin predictably said the issue wasn’t limited to just one unit but noted schematically, the team wasn’t put in position to win.

“It’s all of us,” he told reporters. “We gotta protect better. We gotta get open. We gotta make quick decisions. We gotta put them in better schematic opportunities.”

Devlin Hodges was only sacked twice against the Ravens but pressured numerous times, leading to a pair of intentional grounding penalties, one resulting in a safety.

Over the final three games of the season, Mason Rudolph and Hodges were sacked a total of ten times. It’s all the odder given pass protection was strong for long stretches of the season. From Week 1 to Week 9, Steelers’ QBs were sacked eight total times. Over the second half of the year, that number spiked to 24.

Don’t chalk it up to throwing more either. Numbers don’t tell that story.

Pass Attempts Week 1-9: 269 (3.0% sack rate)
    Pass Attempts Week 10-17: 249 (9.6% sack rate)

The only explanation is that Buffalo exploited a weakness, being able to send overload blitzes the Steelers weren’t ready for and young QBs like Hodges and Rudolph didn’t have the experience and ability to alter protections to pick them up. The Jets and Ravens copied and pasted that gameplan and the Steelers never properly adjusted. That falls on first year offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett, who was doing reasonably well prior to the Bills game. Then things fell apart. It’s now fair to at least question his role going forward, even if it’s unknown if the team would actually make a change after just one season.

There figures to at least be some new faces in the room come 2020. Ramon Foster’s future with the team is in serious doubt. BJ Finney is slated to become a free agent. And depth has been chipped away after Fred Johnson and Patrick Morris were claimed by other organizations. At the least, the team will draft at least one linemen in the upcoming draft, perhaps on Day Two, to bolster a group who needs reinforcements for the first time in awhile.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/t...e-but-admits-offense-struggled-schematically/

17. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    I usually don't say much about coaching staff but it's definitely time to clean house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks forgot to supply the link...

19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He admits the offense struggled? :lolol: if there werent any stats to prove that it sucked , he would've lied about how great it was.

20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    “Well, he’s a real hard-tryer.”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As long as #7 is the QB there will be no changes for (Coach Randy,)
    Even though he is incompetent.

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So you think no changes will be made, I tend to agree with. But do you think changes SHOULD be made?

23. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    $ Post

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Steelers had a top 10 offense with a relatively healthy squad and steeler fans rejoiced. The next year the team is absolutely decimated by injuries and steeler fans want the oc’s head.

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Correct-No changes will be made IMO but there absolutely should be. Both Fitchner and Danny Smith should be shown the door at the very least.

• Agree Agree x 2