1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Really Think.......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Junebug, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    See you are wise and all knowing! Ha

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m married. I have the privilege of knowing “he don’t know nothing”.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ve seen nothing but retracted news reports and fan fiction that suggest that he can’t return from this. I even heard something back when he had the surgery in which an orthopedic doc said that his arm could be better than it’s been the last few years. I can’t remember where I read the article, but it was an interesting take to be sure.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Me?!

Interesting. Care to elaborate?!

5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The elbow sure, but will the 15 pounds of flab surrounding the elbow affect anything?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I don't have much knowledge of what his injury truly was nor what surgery was required to correct it. It seems to me that it was kept pretty much out of the media. Closest I heard was similar to Tommy Johns Surgery which for many baseball players is almost elective from the success rate and how well they perform afterwards. My biggest concern is Bens' work out ethic or rather lack there of to be more specific. If he works hard when given the green light I see no reason he can't come back and perform well in 2020. There is a night and day difference between our back ups and what Ben brings to the game. Rudolph and Hodges are system QB's who can't make second or third reads worth their weight in gold. We have some very good receivers who can make plays given the opportunity. Time and again there were open play makers who the back ups simply couldn't locate. Ben can still extend plays where as Rudolph or Hodges couldn't while still finding an open receiver. Get the ball in those hands and points will be scored. This is why I said a 60% Ben is better than either of those two. I'll admit that may be too much but still 75-80% is more closer but my point remains the same. This team is much better though with him behind center than without him. Either way we better draft his replacement this year cause Dobbs, Paxton, Duck or Rudolph simply isn't the answer long term. I haven't seen anything from Paxton but if he hasn't cut it yet in the NFL then I doubt he is any long term solution.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Medical Science and nevermind Sports Medical Science in addition to rehabilitation has come a long way since Bradshaw's Era. For example, ACL's are no longer the career killer they once were; broken bones of many kinds doubly so. My issue is not Ben coming back from the elbow. For that matter, the issue is not all on Ben for me.

My issue is Randy Fichtner not commiting to running the football more. Ben returning is just the bigger issue due to his impact he has on the field. That said, both Ben and Randy MUST understand that, if you want to get back to the promised land, you need the running game to balance out the air attack.

Run the DAMN BALL!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Ah, Probably not.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually, Dr. ElAttrache was not permitted by the Steelers to comment about Roethlisberger’s procedure.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My issue is mainly with Randy Fichtner than it is Ben. Ben is not the main issue but he can also be a part of the solution. Like I said, both Ben and Randy need to swallow their pride and understand that a balanced offensive attack will yield to greater succes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Ben couldn't find a flak jacket that fit so he grew his own.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    He always admired the Big Snack Casey Hampton, wants to end his career as a visual tribute to him.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I didn't catch the name of the former player on ESPN who was ripping Ben for his appearance last week. He said that training camp will be starting before you know it and Ben has an awful lot of weight to lose not to mention the elbow surgery.
    His theory was that maybe Ben knows he isn't coming back and has just let himself go. Josina Anderson was the host of whatever show it was and gave the opposite opinion. She said Ben has plenty of time to get in shape and expects him to be ready for the start of the season.

14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I think he can get on some shape, really do not think he quits before camp, but depending on how next year goes it certainly could be his last. If he quits it outs the Steelers in a bind as all the guaranteed money would be due (I believe)..they could conceivably go after it, but like Luck in Indy I doubt the Rooney's would do that.

15. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Last year Ben led the league in passing yards and commended an explosive offense. This year he played two games with a bad elbow. There is no reason to expect him to be bad until he actually comes back and is bad. That has not happened yet.

Regardless, it's not like he lost his brain. He is still a smart QB who can command the offense infinitely better than our backups did this year. It's not like we need him out there slinging 75 yard passes all game long. Brady still plays and his team is 12-4. His skills are actually declining yet he still knows how to command their offense and may very well be in the Super Bowl again with much less talent than they had in the past.

I don't understand fans who don't understand the mental aspects of playing QB. Super athletic QBs that are dumb typically don't last long in the league and almost never are successful.

16. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I'll be surprised he recovers to the form he/we want.
    If our o-line tanks next season as it had this season, Ben will be on IR the first quarter his first game.
    The offense also misses Munchek, Todd Haley and a true running back and number one receiver. Ben needs to be 25 years old again to overcome the mess our offense is so, it's a moot point about Ben. No supporting cast or coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben playing left handed is probably better than Mason/Duck :lolol:

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Ben can afford a personal trainer to help him get into shape.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So this made me go back and check the injury. All this time I thought it was tommy john but I guess it wasn't and reading this article changes how I feel about his recovery:

The Steelers are confident that Ben Roethlisberger will make a full return from elbow surgery in 2020, as he avoided any ligament or tendon damage when injured in Week 2, and his recovery plan includes beginning throwing this spring, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Had Roethlisberger required a different procedure to repair or replace ligaments in the elbow, the timeframe would have been significantly longer. However, this procedure is to repair a muscle tear, and the timetable puts him easily on pace for the start of camp, let alone Week 1, the source said.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...m-elbow-surgery-and-begin-throwing-in-spring/

EDIT:
    Tommy John surgery, most common with baseball pitchers, involves total ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction and can sideline athletes for up to 18 months.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There may actually be a silver lining because Ben normally throws very little in the offseason, and he’ll need to throw this offseason as part of his rehab. Could we see a sharper Ben as a result?

• Like Like x 2
  21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    You had me until..." Draft his replacement this year "...Don't see it...No 1st ( % wise a much better chance of getting a good one ) DuPree, Hargrave, RB, OL,OL, OL, TE concerns...I just don't see it...I see a Fitzmagic, Mariota, Rosen " type " QB being added and If Ben doesn't come back, or comes back a shell...Or we have to go to those weak backups...The following year " Whatever it takes " Get the next Ben * One can dream!

• Like Like x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Very interesting way to look at it.......I like the way you are thinking hmm!

one other thing to all those who want to point out the weight issue(which I agree with), lets not forget Bell looked like an olineman in the pic on the jet ski and he looked pretty fit this year.......

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I may be nuts but I have been saying all season to my sons I feel like Mariota could be a good pick up for us.......of course seeing out QB play anything could be, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think there’s a bit of overstatement of his weight this season. The unkempt beard makes his face look fuller, and when he was on the sideline in a sweatshirt a couple of weeks ago he was clearly wearing layers under it. Yeah, he doesn’t look like he’s at peak physical condition right now, but to me he doesn’t look any bigger than we have seen him in the past (like your jet ski photo example).

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Well, It looks like he's out as Tannehill has played SO well this year..A top FIVE QB... Mariota us not terrible, which is an upgrade for us at this time

• Agree Agree x 1