1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WTF was our goal this season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Dec 30, 2019.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I don't know about you guys but it seemed the Steelers were in full panic/desperation mode at 1-4, then let off the brakes once Tomlin knew he had a winning season.

Not sure what we were trying to accomplish lol I guess being competitive and not giving up mentality.

this is not a bashing thread(although may seem like it) just curious as to what the coach and FO saw as the end result with no QB at the helm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I just don't think he and his staff know how to coach on a fundamental level. They couldn't coach the talent without the injuries and they couldn't coach the replacements.

I honestly think his plan was to let the team win as many games as they could and to jibber jabber and cheerlead all the way to keeping his job for another mediocre season.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The offense was putrid, not much more to say than that.

Can only count on so many splash plays from the defense to win you games. Sooner or later that well was going to dry up and when it did, the woeful offense wasn't capable of securing wins.

I'm sure the goal was to get to the playoffs but they were never going to make any noise once they got there against good teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    With as many injuries we had this year, I think the coaching staff saw this as an extended pre-season. See what you've got for next year. We, seriously, weren't going to make the playoffs anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It’s just a lost season, another year of football aging on The players career with nothing to show for it.
    I feel bad for the Defense ,they may have actually aged two seasons

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Seems like our overall goal was not to get embarrassed and tumble down to a Browns type season. Mission accomplished.

Desperation move to get Minkah paid off huge. Maybe our goal was also to fix half the team by getting the defense ready for next year.

Any team that loses it`s starting QB has no real goal, no real hope of normalcy, unless they are extremely lucky with their backup QB.

We are set up for next season if we find an offense that actually scores average amount of points and does not help the opposing team with turnovers.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The goal was to get rid of Tomlin and his useless OC. Hope it worked.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    They had to work with what they had. It’s not hard to see that losing the Starting QB changed the season completely. Step back and imagine if the pats or Seahawks or packers or Chiefs lost their guy. They would struggle to be .500 and be up and down. There are people on this forum that think they could have simply put the duck in and win the Super Bowl. It was going to be a patchwork season from week two. Ben was clearly injured prior to the first game and that was a wrap. They used the season to develop a sound defense and evaluate the back ups. If you actually look at the injuries this year you can understand the challenges. Imagine being the browns or Cowboys or Rams and lose out with everyone available.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    After the savior of many seasons went down I didn't expect much. Then out of the shadows the Defense turned things around. They overachieved all but to sub 500 teams. Then lost the last 3 being embarrassed by the crows yesterday. Pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Defense was exposed yesterday in many ways. Badly. TOP was over 18 mins in their favor. Rats I think got a first down on every drive and ran through us like a sieve. With a lot of backups. Definitely still a work in progress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Or the Eagles?

• Like Like x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The goal was to get Tomlin to 8 wins. Once that happened they stopped caring. How you keep trotting out this one winged Duck and don't give Paxton Lynch a shot is beyond me. That right there told me they didn't care. I get winning this game is pointless. I would have just liked to see what he had.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Yes, or the Eagles, I know I know, you think the Duck could have done what Foles did. He was not a camp arm, he is actually better than the starter was. The player has to play, the coach cannot do their job for them. If you have any sense at all you would except the fact that losing your starting QB will likely ruin a season. This isn’t your fantasy team or your son’s youth league so stop it. There will be times when a back up can step up, Brady, Ben, Prescott. But it is not the norm.

14. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Conner's fumble in Santa Clara was huge.
    JuJu fumble vs Seattle was another big one as well.
    These things happen, but it was when they happened trying to seal/close out wins. I expect more from our best players. Just those 2 games, we have 10 wins. It was hard to overcome those plays early in the season vs very good teams.

We sure gave a shot in the arm to the 49ers and Seattle for the rest of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    No way do I think Duck could do what Foles pulled off. Just saying its possible to have that happen and unfortunately not for us because management didn't think Ben would get hurt this year, apparently? Otherwise why would you have back up QBs that never played in a game before. Or am I missing something?

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hypothetical question....

Let’s say Ben doesn’t make it back. No changes are made at OC,DC and STs. We finish at or between 7-9 and 9-7, no playoffs. Does MT still get to use his no franchise QB as a excuse? Thoughts?

17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    which brings my next question. is our defense elite or just a stat princess?

1st in sacks
    1st in takeaways
    3rd in rushing average
    3rd in passing yards
    4th in qb rating
    5th in yards per game
    6th in redzone defense
    6th in ppg

Steelers 27th in time of possesion, baltimore 1st.

18. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I agree that they should have went out and found a back up right away. I think they thought they saw something in Mason in pre season and that’s why they let Dobbs go. They drafted him and he was in his second year, so they thought Mason deserved a chance just like Ben got. It didn’t happen, and they can’t change that. When I say I agree, I agree that management made those decisions. Most are calling for Tomlin’s head cause it’s all his fault. It’s not, it’s direction the team went and it did not work.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It’s two fold if you ask me.One hand stats don’t lie, the other hand could show they have those stats because of being on the field a lot , but, but , but,,they also could have had awful stats because of being on the field so damn much ! I think this team was 8-8 because of this Defense !

Imagine if this D had just one drive a game that the Offense controlled the clock ,gave them a20 minute rest between drives , just one time a game!

I think the D is awesome and hope to hell the offense can give them much deserved rests between drives next year .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Not franchise QB is not and excuse, it’s a fact. The team has to put the players on the team for the coach to succeed.

21. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I think a little of both. I actually enjoyed watching the D play this year and not fear every opponents possession. Helped cut down on beer consumption by a 50%. That being said, I believe losing Tuitt was a factor and some tweeking of other positions could make this D a lot of both.

• Like Like x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I think for what’s it worth it’s an elite d for today’s standards but not a full shutdown carry your whole team defense. To be fair no defenses these days are

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You’re discounting all of the other major injuries we suffered as well

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The front office knew Ben was injured and decided that was the time to trade away his backup from the prior season. That makes sense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So Tomlin and his staff get a pass until we find and develop a franchise QB? What exactly constitutes a franchise QB because there are quite a few teams in the playoffs without one. Some maybe even previously described as bums....

• Like Like x 1