1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where can we save cap space?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ... Because there are certain guys we need to resign ... Hargrave and Dupree definitely need to come back next year.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A lot of the runs yesterday were right at Hargrave.

Bud will be overpaid by someone.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Possible cuts:
    Vance $6m (approx. saving)
    Foster $4m
    Barron $5m
    Chickillo $5m
    Berry $2m
    Villanueva $5m
    Pouncey $5m

Not saying all or any of the above are likely cuts but if they are cutting any starters it’ll be from the list above imo

They can also save significant cash ($4m - $5 per player) by extending or restructuring:
    Heyward
    Nelson
    DeCastro

All in all I think they can clear about $30m for 2020 without decimating the roster, but one big extension and a couple of free agents and that $30m is gone. Tagging Bud alone would account for half of it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Get rid of Dupree, he only played hard for the money , think he was wearing horse blinkers yesterday, he ran passed the RB at least 4 times when the RB had the ball. He ran straight to RG3 not even paying attention to the ball.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    You want to franchise Smoke and Mirrors Dupree for 18 mill? Because they are not going break the bank on him. The guy on the other side yes. He will go elsewhere, overpaid.

And if Hargrave asks to much he can go find it. I would like them to resign him but the 2 on the edges already make a boat load.

The Offense needs the most attention.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Restructure Ben's contract to start out. Whether Ben likes it or not is irrelevant. That has to happen first.

Next step is cutting out deadwood. Mark Barron, Ramon Foster, Jordan Berry and Anthony Chickillo need to go. Depending on how the team feels about the Offensive Tackle situation; Chukwuma Okorafor more specifically, I would also consider saying so long to Big Al. He simply does not have it anymore.

Final step is either to work out a long term deal with Bud or tag him. Javon is likely gone anyways as I believe the team is suspecting big things from Isaiah Buggs. Quite the leap of faith but said conclusion would not surprise me in the least.

Bonus step!?!?

Convert Terrell Edmunds to ILB. One less issue to worry about come 2020. Find a quality vet in FA as there will be many of them.

7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would at retaining Hargraves and Dupree but I don’t think we keep both.

But I would dangle Tuitt out there for maybe trade or possible cut. Probably not a popular decision but we need money and get some talent for the offense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I just want to say regarding Ravens they built their team to be a heavy up front running team. Strong big run block lineman and Tight ends. Most teams built their finesse guys to stop the pass and that is why imo Ravens are seeing success. Our defense is a splashy fast get at your QB defense, not a 2005 steeler hampton run stuff defense lol

9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Cutting or trading Tuitt would actually have negative cap implications for 2020 because they’ve already given him so much money up front. Nobody is trading for him with his injury record and the earliest it would make any sense financially to cut him would be 2022. They’ve already paid him for the next couple of years effectively.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bud had 11.5 sacks this season. That’s pretty damn good.

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    @AskQuestionsLater What would you like to see happen with Bens contract? I and others have been saying for some time that it is the elephant in the room. His cap number is suffocating the roster and they are going to lose good players as a result

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As I said, restructure it. Whether or not he likes it is irrelevant. For that matter, if Ben wants a shot at one final chance to compete for a Super Bowl, this is it for him.

According to OverTheCap, Pittsburgh will save $9.97 Million should they do so. That is roughly $10 already available now in cap space; not including other potential cuts either. Assuming Mark Barron, Jordan Berry and Ramon Foster go to as well, tack on other $11 million.

That translates to $21 Million. Quite a bit we could do there. However, should this figure be the case, Bud will have to be signed to a long term deal. That being said, I think other major restructure is well on its way.

13. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

From the list above, I think we let everyone on here but Pouncey go.
    we will keep Vannet, and sign or draft a new TE.. Vance just can't stay healthy..
    Foster can be replaced..
    Barron isn't anything special to write home about.. mayb edmunds can take his spot..
    Chick.. not sure why we kept him..
    Berry.. should be the 1st one let go.
    Vill- played really bad this year..

14. MackDog21

MackDog21 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Dupree had a great year, but how much of that is due to the attention Watt receives and havoc he causes? Watt caused a lot of sacks he didn't get by being a terror on the QB's face side, causing them to attempt to scramble and Bud's athleticism shined in those situations. Bud didn't have near as many pressures or straight up beat your man sacks as Watt

15. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Ummmm...