1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We will be in same situation next year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Dec 29, 2019.

1. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Dalton wants to start somewhere . And Steelers can`t afford a 8 mill per year back up .

We are stuck with Rudolf as QB2 and I`m ok with it.

He will get a few more starts next year . Maybe 2-3 cuz Ben is at that point .

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Just heard announcers talk about Titans being the first team to go 9-7 for 4 years in a row, wonder what the record is for 8-8 a year in a row, and when Tomlin will break it?

• Like Like x 2
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree, because, not even his own coaching staff was picked by him. But, on the flip side, even when we had a legit team .... he would get outcoach and his development skills are trash.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t worry once we have 7 or 8 1st rounders on O we’ll be ready to actually be a legitimate contender. The only thing this staff can make out of chicken **** ,is more chicken ****. I think too many people are being fooled that Ben coming back is the answer for everything. The D this year had a banner year in getting TOs that helped us win most of our games. Just like the year before when we couldn’t buy one. You don’t get that fortunate every year. Purely based on their performances this year it won’t be easy to replace Dupree, Hargrave and Hilton. Our D has also remained healthy all year besides Tuitt. Every year is different that’s why you have to take advantage of every opportunity and not waste them. I think we wasted quite a few in recent years....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We don't need 7 or 8 1st rounders on offense, we just need a freaking QB who can put up more than 10 points a game :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    First of all I think Mason will be a better QB next season given the experience.

Secondly the FO damn well better sign a veteran back up to battle Mason for the top backup spot.

Tomlin got what he deserved by going into the season with 2 QB’s this bad . Stupid gamble came back and bit us in the ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Sounds as if the Dolphins are going to try and re-sign Fitzpatrick. Same with Tannehill at Tennessee.

Guess guys like Bridgewater, Daniel, Brissett, Mariota, and maybe Rivers, Foles, or Carr will be available but they sound like guys who would like for a legit chance to start which won't be known here until training camp at the earliest, but who knows. There's only so many jobs available so maybe they'll take a chance that Ben won't be able to go or that they'll be willing to wait til he's done.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Steelers currently have 4 QBs under contract for 2020.
    No reason to make a move this offseason at that position. Ben's new contract has him as 35mil against the cap in 2020.

You can bet the house that Pittsburgh will have a new OC before the draft!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    You could be right but I'd be pretty surprised if the organization didn't address the need for a legit back-up QB. Ben is a question mark and they were a competent QB away from making the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Fixed

11. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I like the odds on a string of losing one more game each year under him. His standard is to continually do less.

12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey lewisha.

Funny, very funeeeee! To the point it is really sad about the possibility of it becoming reality. Tomlin stinks plain and simple. And no, for all of the Tomlin loyalists here, I do not have a suggestion on who to replace him with. Remember, as so many Tomlin lovers around here do not want the message board participants (AKA Arm-Chair Administrators) to have an opinion on managerial issues anyway. However, Tomlin has not been getting the job done since the Super Bowl vs. Green Bay. He had his ride. Did some good things I admit but now it is time for him to go. We all need a change of scenery from Tomlin which includes: himself, the team the fans, etc. Primary Example: Hey even the great Dick LeBeau had to go eventually.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Did you see MT before he was hired? I am sure he was on your short list right?

• Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey Steel winds,

If I remember correctly you’re from the CT area so I’ll use this example as a comparison because you are probably pretty familiar with it....Joe Girardi won a WS as the manager for the NYY in 2009. He took them to within 1 game of the WS in 2017 eventually losing to the Houston Asterisks. He was not brought back the following year. You want to talk about the gold standards of sports franchises, it’s the NYY. I’m not saying MT must be fired but the way some of these guys act it’s the most preposterous thought ever. Give me a break man. Nothing lasts forever and sometimes it’s time for a change .unless we are just gonna keep rolling out the same old weak and tired excuses. Who was Aaron Boone? Never managed before. Who was MT? The reasoning of not even considering him being fired as a possibility ibecause ...” who we gonna get” is a losing mentality. Unless of course mediocrity floats your boat? Like I said many times he isn’t going anywhere but if you totally absolve him and his coordinators of any blame you’re not paying attention the last 11 years....

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There's no reason to bring Duck back next season, he's not a NFL QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    A dumb comment, this is the first year the Steelers went 8-8 since 2013, the only reason it happened this season is because Ben got injured.

17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey thesteeldeal.

I hear your position. It sounds like you and I may be having a communication breakdown. If it is my fault I do apologize. I am a little confused to your quotes and positions. You quoted: "but if you totally absolve him and his coordinators of any blame you’re not paying attention the last 11 years". I am not "absolving" him and his coordinators of blame. Just the opposite. Like I stated, he had a decent ride especially his first five years or so and I gave him credit for that. However, I have not seen much progress or growth from him since. In fact just the opposite. Sure we have been competitive each year under him and again I will give him credit for that. However, we continue to come up short and shorter each year towards the ultimate goal. With the "Stacked "O" that we had the last five years or so we probably should have had another ring or two. What we have to show for it are three "mediocre" one and done playoff appearances. Not acceptable in my book.

Also your quote: "The reasoning of not even considering him being fired as a possibility ibecause ...” who we gonna get” is a losing mentality. Unless of course mediocrity floats your boat?" Again, it sounds like you and I are having a communication breakdown. Again, if it is my fault I do apologize. No, I am definitely not for mediocrity at all that is why I want him gone. Prime Example: Hey even the "Great" Dick LeBeau had to go, IMO.

My goal is the same as what everyone else's here should be, IMO, to win the Super Bowl each season. Unrealistic, perhaps. However, that is what it should be for the entire Steeler Organization and the Fanbase. That is, not accepting "mediocrity" at all. That is setting the bar as high as it can go. That is what one does in any competition whether it is Sports, Academics, or something as simple as raking the leaves in your yard. Going in 110% and doing the job to the ultimate performance. Even winning the Super Bowl is not good enough for me. I want it each year. Becoming complacent is when you do accept mediocrity and become stagnant. That in part, is what gets one or a team, second place or lower, the next year after winning it all the year before. I hope I cleared some things up if in fact they needed some clarity. Get back to me if you would like. Great chatting with you!

18. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The key is WANTS to start..
    Are there really any teams out there that will let him start? He is probably just as good as Joe Flacco.. I bet Rivers gets a starting job before Dalton will.
    And if the Bengals surprise us all and not draft Burrows, then maybe they bring the ginger back..

19. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The Steelers situation may have some appeal for veteran backups. No one knows what Ben’s health is going to be or whether he can come back. A veteran backup with the Steelers may not get the starting job right away but there’s a very good chance they’d have it before the season is over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey Steelwinds....

No man we’re entirely on the same page. My Girardi example was to show no one is above being fired. I wasn’t accusing you of those things I was talking to those who simply refuse to acknowledge that as a HC or Manager of a sports franchise and even in all positions of authority I should add. Your title and job description puts you in the crosshairs. My biggest issue and a conversation I just had with a fellow poster is that there are quite a few who like to pass the blame buck around to everyone but the HC. Denying or overlooking the fact he is ultimately responsible for everything around him including the results of games. I too am championship or bust like yourself. Sometimes I think it’s the NY/East Coast in me,that’s just how I roll...lol
    To each his own though. I just really despise when the insults, fan police and condescending kicks in. It is possible to have a debate without any of it and is one of those reasons I enjoy your posts. Even if they are too long and complex for others(jk) ....I kid I kid

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And here we go...

I can't think of anybody else so therefore there is no better coach out there than Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    different situation, different defence .

23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey thesteeldeal.

Thank you for taking the time to post back and giving clarity. It really is appreciated.

Side Note Bio.

On a side note as you mentioned your NY/East Coast ties. I spent some years living in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. In my very, very younger years. Not enough time for any major memories. Although it was one of my "Stomping Grounds" through my teen-age years but that was after we had later in life migrated to CT and I would frequent that "Hood" quite frequently. Yes, I did live in New, Haven CT for a good part of my life as well. You may have seen the photo that I posted several times here which I labeled "Steelwinds Sports Complex East". I will post the photo below again if you missed it. I lived in the Public Housing Units in the backdrop for many years.

It was tough place to grow up but was also filled with a lot of GREAT memories.We played every sport there you could think of. We had an informal "Sports League" that we established where Neighborhoods and rival Housing Projects played against one another for just about every sport you could think of at Steelwinds Sports Complex East.

It was really cool. For instance if we played wiffle ball we may play for a dollar per man. The winner would usually take his dollar and go to the local store and by a boat load of candy with that money. You could do that back in the 70's. Ah! Nostalgia. It is great. I hope you did not mind me taking you down part of my "My Memory Lane" for a moment and share that with you. As most of you know on this board I am somewhat long-winded at times (smile). I really do enjoy my time here and like to share in-depth at times regardless of the topic. As for now, lets just say I live in a very hated rival's town.

Anyway, I am glad we got that cleared up. In any position of leadership such as an NFL Coach, School Principal, CEO of a Fortune 500 Company or a Police Commissioner, there are "Universal Principals" that must apply. And as you, and I agree, "Accountability" for the entire organization will always most certainly come back, first and foremost, to those in charge like with the examples I just mentioned above. It just goes with the territory. For example, I have taught for 30+ years. Critical Statistics like: State Test Scores, Expulsions, Attendance rates etc. will always be accredited first and foremost to the Principal. Who will then go down the chain of command at the school building level for accountability: Assistant Principals > Department Heads > Teachers and so forth and so on. Is it fair and just? Sometimes.

Some here, want to give Tomlin a pass on everything. It is unfortunate that they are so "Myopic". I have given Tomlin credit on this board when it is justified. However, some who wear the Tomlin shades do not want to hear the truth when it is factual. His time should be up IMO. He had his run. Initially, it was good as I stated in the original post. However, the last 5-8 years it has tailed off to a point of mediocrity. That is the way I see it and why I support a change. Nothing personal against him. I think he initially did some good things here but it really is time once again, IMO, for the Front Office to move on from him. Probably the OC as well. Take care.

Steelwinds Sports Complex East

Steelwinds Sports Complex.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Didn’t think I’d have to explain, but I will. I don’t see any game changing coaches out there. There’s a couple coordinators that are a year or three away, but nothing now.

25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I didn't think I'd have to explain further either and most could figure it out. I don't believe you are on the Steelers payroll with the responsibility to doing coach searches. If you are, my apologies. My guess is that you like our current coach and cherish what he has done for the Steelers. Many do. I will also guess that when the search for MT was going on you probably didn't know who he was BUT HE WAS OUT THERE> So let me be just a little more concise: Just because you don't know of any doesn't mean there aren't several who can do this job. You see, that is what owners pay people to do. Now If this explanation does't clear this up for you, just ignore the post and pretend you never read it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1