1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Dobbs cost us our season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    My bad. There was a joke awhile back about how North Korea could use him to help with their Rocket launches so I assumed it was the ability to design the warhead and not jet propulsion.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    QBs, safeties, olinemen, lbs, rbs, wrs does it make a difference for the whiners? Let's waste draft picks on a position that will ride the bench the next few years. Not a problem, Fitchner will know what to do. When you can see past the the bug on the windshield, notice that it takes more than a QB to field a team with great expectations. The next A. Rogers coming out next year? yeah go get him I agree but screw any qb that needs development until we have an offensive head coach that knows how to make lemonade.

Edit: if Mason is made of glass I would prefer a trade for a decent vet like Fitzmagic. If the draft, find out who A. Reid likes.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The problem for the FO in terms of signing a free agent QB is that most will want a chance to start and that possibility with the Steelers won't be known until training camp at least and if Ben's healthy there's no chance. That means the FO will be picking from FA QBs that others have already passed on for the most part. The good news is that it does look like there's going to be a lot of FA QBs around.

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I've noted before one of the immutable Laws of Yinzr Fandom is: The Steelers win every game that they never play. Example: The Steelers would have 10 Lombardi's, if they hadn't lost of Tebow, Bortles or Brady in the playoffs, and This is the team nobody wants to face in the playoffs.

A corollary to this Law is: Players who haven't or don't play for the Steelers, would have great season and won lots of games if only they had.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    That's why I would prefer a "trade" for a decent vet. & only if Ben or Mason can't go next year, determined after the fa period frenzy. We need all our top 3-4 draft picks to contribute next year if Ben or Mason makes a run imo.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You couldn't be a pimple on my dad's butt...........but anyways Merry Christmas....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They should've kept Landry Jones over Dobbs going back to 2018.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. oksteelers#20

oksteelers#20 Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Are you seriously comparing Dobbs to Jackson?????????? LOL, Dobbs doesn't even have a quarter of the talent that Jackson does. Look at what both of them accomplished in college, Jackson still in another classs as Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yes, good point, Ben probably won't know how his elbow will respond until OTAs or beyond. FAs will have been picked through and signed. They will have to roll with Mason and Duck as back ups imo. If they do sign a vet, I hope its not Dobbs or Landry since those names are being mentioned a lot around here.

10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    At the time I hated the move. But I tried to remain optimistic. It wasn't like Dobbs is gone, season is over. But now with the season wrapping up. Looking back, it cost us our season. No doubt in my mind he helps us beat the Bills or Jets. Look, even if you disagree with me on Dobbs and you think he's the worst QB ever. This 5th round pick wasn't worth losing a QB we spent 3 years developing in the year we needed him the most. That's my point.

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Now there's a whole thread dedicated to this? Ugh SDot, Dobbs wasn't that good let it go. He'll be out of the league in the next couple years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Dobbs sucks /endthread

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Maybe your right about Dobbs but doesn't make you right about the situation. I still would have liked to see what he had this season. Losing that opportunity for a 5th rounder/camp body wasn't worth 3 years of development. The end. Anybody with a brain agrees.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    We need to stop acting like a 5th rounder is total garbage players can be found there, prime example AB in the 6th and Harrison undrafted(sorry had to throw that in for you know who). Heck Samuels is on our team now as a 5th rounder and Jesse James was good for us as a 5th rounder.

The truth of the matter is this nobody knew Ben was going down and we had a chance to get a pick back after moving up for DB55. Do people really think that the Steelers coaching staff and front office thought Mason stunk so they traded Dobbs??????? No and judging from the pre season there was no proof and they also liked what they saw from Duck. Did things work out nope but it wasn't because the front office and coaches were trying to stink.....omg get over it already.

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I seem to remember that the Jags inquired about Rudolph who the Steelers said was off limits. So they settled for Dobbs, what does that tell you? At the time the Steelers thought they had a log jam of backup QBs with huge potential so they cut ties with the one they thought most expandable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's not worth it if it could have saved this season.

Of course Rudolph wasn't available. He was the back-up after pre-season. Which is fine, I didn't totally agree. But Mason did outperform Dobbs in this last preseason. With all that said that doesn't mean you trade Dobbs away for a 5th. Especially when you know Ben is injured. He's probably been injured since camp. He didn't look right since Week 1. But they got in trouble for not putting him down as injured the week leading up to when we last saw him. That's the same week they traded Dobbs. Incompetence.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You don't really believe a 3rd string QB can save a team do ya? If so did you leave milk and cookies out the other night????

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Rookie UDFA that played for a FCS almost did. Yeah; I think a 3rd round, 3rd year, rocket scientist might have been able to make a play or two that put us over the Bills or Jets. But hey call me crazy. Too bad we will never know because of this magically 5th round pick we got instead. Never know because of a camp body. Maybe we can draft another Sutton Smith and juggle him on the roster all next year. Yay!

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not sure what being a rocket scientist has to do with anything. I mean Matt Patricia is one and look great with the Cheats but not so good with the Lions.........anyways.

If you want to pin the hopes of our season on a 3rd sting QB then yup I will call ya crazy. The fact still remains the Steelers felt good enough about Mason to not worry about a 3rd stinger......which they should worry about. Look at all the teams ahead of us in the playoffs how many of them were saved by a 3rd stinger? None, some had to use a 2nd stringer like KC and the Saints but once you get past that season over.

Also you fail to recognize the fact that we also lost WR's, Oline, TE's, RB's and defensive players which also added to this failure. You can keep trying to blame the trade of Dobbs as why we stink but you needs to understand how much other stuff we lost as well........

20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not have the list handy, but the available QB's at the time..let alone one we could fit under the Cap were worse than horrible. With the way this line played it is hard to imagine any long toothed QB having much success, perhaps a guy like a Hoyer could give you a couple of starts..then again guys like Hoyer also tend to give you as many or more crappy starts...that's why they are where they are.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Or he may have played like crap like he did against the Raiders last year. BTW wasn't that 5th round pick spent on Vanette? You can argue the value, as he was not seen much, but please don't insult us with Dobbs being the Savior talk. The guy who stunk up in the Raiders game was worse in his preseason games..think about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Indeed. The backup QB job was Dobb's to lose in preseason and he did just that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    NO.

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    If the Steelers hadn't given up on Kent Graham so soon who knows how many Super Bowls we could have now?

• Like Like x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol I forgot the homeless man looking head coach of the Lions is a rocket scientist.

• Like Like x 1