1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What if Ben doesn't recover fully.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Kreighoff, Dec 22, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Mortensen has been known to be wrong before, so I will wait and see if this is true.

2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Mortensen also said people have said that Ben would of been better off with Tommy John surgery than what he did have. No one knows for sure until he starts throwing again.

3. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Trio of running backs? You might get 3 games out of Connor. Snell is suspect and slow. Samuels is no more than a receiver.

4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Conner needs to move on to another profession before he breaks something he really needs.

The trio I spoke of is Snell/Sam/Whyte. You are overly critical of those backs since they haven't been running behind a competent line this season.

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    That’s stupid during those times ravens were rebuilding we were super bowl contending.

lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If Ben can't go next season, then we have to get a stop gap QB until the 2021 draft. Case Keenum, Chase Daniel, even Dalton or Ryan Fitzpatrick for a one year deal.
    With our defense all we need is a QB that can muster 17 or 20 points a game to be competitive.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    well, all I can go on is what I’ve seen this season. The oline does have its issues and finally fell off the cliff that old quarterbacks do.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Beat me to it. So many people are writing Ben off as done based on nothing but their own personal non-informed medical opinions. Are those folks all orthopedic surgeons? Are they all BEN’s orthopedic surgeons? I’m guessing no. On the weight issue - in my mid 40’s I lost 50 lbs. and got into amazing physical condition. Better condition than I was in when I ran 60 miles per week in my early 20’s. And I’m no pro athlete. There’s no barrier preventing Ben from getting into better shape by next season. In fact, I think the fact that he’ll need to throw to rehab may actually help him. He’ll actually have to throw the football in the offseason, which is something he normally doesn’t do.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Was Reported Ben has most likely played his last snap in the NFL.

I am officially depressed

10. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    It certainly seems like it...I mean look at him on the sidelines...he's the poster child for being a washed up old-timer

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Interesting. There’s a brand new report on NBC/PFT that the Steelers are optimistic about his return. Per Mortensen, he is not cleared to throw yet, but is “tracking better” whatever that means.

Edit - there’s a new article on Steelers Depot where Mortensen backtracks on his earlier report about Ben having doubts. It says that Ben plans to play in 2020 and beyond.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben is going to be 38, coming off an injury and doesn't take care of himself. Is it really hard to believe he may not make it back and if he does, won't play at a high level?

Hope that's not the case but they better have been scouting QB's heavily this year. They need to draft one if it's there.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if they fix the line knox and that in turn helps the run game which will help the passing game along with a cleaner pocket I still think we have a kid in mason that can win games. Paxton and Duck are also capable after another camp. That kid is a rookie we have to remember. They are all young with talent so putting them in a scenario to succeed with some good blocking would go a long way. Same as I feel about these receivers. We are very young at skill positions and old on both lines. This is not near the team Ben had when he started and a lot of the numbers are comparable. Ben will get killed behind this line next year.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben will be fine. Football is in him. It look like he swallowed about 20 of them... and is constipated

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This goes to show you believe nothing in the media. They throw crap out there to cause an effect and then recant later after everyone gets riled up for nothing. Click bait artists.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s the product of a media mentality of needing to get the big scoop first. It’s amazing how much is reported inaccurately because one or another media outlet wants to be the one that broke the story. From what I can see, they’re all guilty of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    “Hey Ben, are you expecting twins or triplets?”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Man, we have some pessimistic, sky is falling
    What kind of shape are you in? Probably round, but round is a shape.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    IMO Ben is done but I have no idea for sure. One thing we all can agree on is that big old lump we see on the sidelines will not be half as mobile as he once was.

upload_2019-12-24_15-55-5.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    They didn't even really completely rebuild. They retooled more so and got lucky that lamar fell into their hands at the end of the 1st rd.

21. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Listen, we have all watch BB play through injuries of varying degree, and give it his all when other Qbs around the league would have sat out. BB is extremely competitive and strong as well. I, personally, think Ben will be back solely based upon those two traits. Now, will he be the Ben of old? I don't know but one thing is for certain, he isn't going out like this.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed. I’m just putting the over under on how many games he plays at 1 1/2 before he is permanently disabled.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So here is a dilemma:

Ben historically has played little in the preseason and plays horribly in the first two games. He’s usually lousy after a bye week alone. If he sits out a whole year he will be way worse.

Sooo....

1) Do you play him a lot in preseason to get him up to speed, if he can, or at least find out if he can’t? But you take a chance on injury and wear.

2) You save him in preseason, and take a chance on what we had this year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    You mean like the Bears did with Jay Cutler, a few years back?
    Even FA isn't a sure thing, and is more expensive against the salary cap than a rookie QB.

That's just it: you don't know that. Or at least, it isn't a certainty.
    I realize Brady (6th round) is a once-in-a-generation sort of thing, but you can still hope to find a Russell Wilson (3rd round) or even a Tony Romo (decent enough, especially for an undrafted player). Or maybe a Kurt Warner (undrafted, took 7 years to find success).

25. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I wrote it up in the tanking thread, but only two SB starting QBs weren't drafted by their team in the last ten SBs. Peyton with Denver and Brees with New Orleans. That's it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1