1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Dobbs cost us our season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Dec 23, 2019.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Boo Bye!!!! As my daughter says....Lol.

2. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Its such a crap shoot even with the Bluechip College QBs that are drafted. Dobbs is a Nuclear Engineer so you would think his processing time is quick.

Then you have a Marino that did not have a skyhigh Wonderlic being one of the greatest all time.

The millions of dollars and hours invested in studying these draft prospects and what is the % chance he becomes a diamond or top 5 QB by year 3 or 4?

I do think systems can stunt or even destroy a QB ...like the Browns Couch I think it was ...even out of Hal Mummes Air Raid Gimmicky offense...to me was a cant miss prospect...Ryan Leaf.. another I thought cant miss.

3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Nobody can really argue with us. Rudolph/Duck failed. We never saw Dobbs so we don't know. He couldn't have been any worse. We will never know because of a 5th round pick... Fail!

4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Dobbs still in the NFL?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    But at least Rudolph was decent in college, Dobbs was bad in college and pros. But I also agree he could of won a game solely by running, but that's about it.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Dobbs is highly inconsistent with his accuracy. Poor man’s Geno Smith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I guess the sample size is too few games on these recent Big 12 QBs but there doesnt seem to be many from that Conference that do well at the next level...Mahomes...crap...I saw Landry and Colt McCoy throw it all over the place and it seemed to never transform to the next level.

8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The 5-10 Jags see him in practice every day and hasn't put him in a game for one snap. If he was a team's saviour he wouldn't be buried on the bench for a lousy team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'm pretty sure this thread is just a PSA to remind everyone of the importance of moderation when celebrating this holiday season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    In other words, it could have been Wildcat formation 24/7. Those were after all, some of Slash's better moments.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Are you seriously comparing Dobbs to Lamar Jackson. You have posted some doozies over the years...but this thread makes me wonder if you are under concussion protocol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    But he has the mind of a scientist...at least he can claim brilliance after making bonehead plays...MR and Duck IDK????

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    In hindsight it seems that way but no way the Steelers knew Ben would go down or that our defense could have led the way with just a middle of the road QB.

Stupid injuries play to big a part in pro football. Look at Seahawks, all of a sudden they need a RB for the playoffs. It's a damn shame but the human body was not meant for running into each other at high speed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Not even close. I can’t believe anybody is still foolish enough to think Dobbs is comparable to Jackson.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeah I agree with OP that we would have been better off with him but the Steelers had to base their decision on us having a healthy team all year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Saw the title of the thread and had to check it out thinking there would be a punch line.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s the OC.
    Dobbs wouldn’t have been used correctly.
    Plus the O Line has major issues.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Uhm...Dobbs sucks?

Who does he play for again? How many completions this season? Oh yeah, he sucks. Have you watched him suck in preseason? He can't read vanilla coverages against scrubs.

News Flash: Dobbs is not Lamar Jackson.

Go back to complaining about Deebo. At least I could see why you were spouting off nonsense. Dobbs, not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They are also paying 50 million for a QB and Minshew looks legit. I'm not saying Dobbs is the best QB in the world. I'm saying he would have been better than dumb and dumber which I know isn't saying much.

I've been comparing them since drafted with Ravens fans. Dobbs looked a lot better early on. Better pocket awareness and arm. Dobbs has legs but not to the ability of LJ. Difference is LJ had a coach who believe in him and we had one who fell in love with Rudolph scouting Washington.

Thing is they knew Ben was injured the week they traded Dobbs. They got fined for not listing Ben injured. My theory is they moved Dobbs because they didn't want Rudolph to deal with controversy. Any time he has a bad game, people calling for Dobbs. Think about it, it worked. Rudolph was average for a long time but nobody was calling for an UDFA. Tomlin laughed at the idea of putting Duck in one game when Rudolph stunk it up. Then Rudolph was so bad they had to play Duck.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    So Dobb's looked better, threw one pass that was great in a reg season game, then came in relief and stunk up the joint. This preseason he stunk up the joint even more. They did not fall in love with MR as much as Dobbs was outplayed in preseason and was deemed tradable. It's laughable to say, "he was not given a chance", as laughable as claiming our season was ruined by trading him. You can claim what if's all day long, but based on real game experience, and his play in preseason..and the way this line played, with all the injuries it is likely the team would still be 8-7 or worse with Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm not saying trading him put the dagger in us. I waited to see how it played it out and we can say for a fact, Rudolph and Duck suck. That's fact. Sadly, we don't know how this season goes with Dobbs. We spent 3 year developing him and lost the chance to see what he had for a 5th round pick. It's pure incompetence.

Getting thrown to the fire in Oakland where the Steelers historically struggle including Ben isn't a fair shake. He answered against the Ravens when his number was called. I've already said he slightly regressed this pre-season and Rudolph improved. Probably has something to do with his coach falling in love with another QB. Ravens stuck by LJ, he wasn't good last year. It was never as clear cut to me Rudolph is the guy, just get rid of Dobbs. Yeah, Rudolph earned back-up duties this year but barely. Sure as hell wasn't worth a 5th round pick.

23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Spent 3 years and he looked worse year 3 than in year 2. Kid is a great kid but he doesn't have it. Saw flashes from both the QBs this year but saw the same regression in season play for both.

Dobbs was a wasted pick day 1 and most knew the same due to his college reel. Can't say the same about Rudolph or hell even Landry for that matter... Both looked like good QBs for their schools atleast.

I believe that they don't have a QB coach that can put any of these kids on the right path much less an OC too work with what he has or don't have in a n effective manner. Ben was going to be a damn good QB no matter where he went because that is what he in fact is. Rudolph has the tools but he needs proper tutelage to max him out. Duck has the Moxie and appears limited but again he's placed in a failing situation ultimately.

If Dobbs had the reins the team would've been worse off if the same scenario of injuries, shoddy line play and terrible OC influence on the playbook played out... He's an athlete but he's not a QB period.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Give me Dobbs legs, masons pre snap reads, Hodges attitude and we would have a qb that still can’t throw lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We can also say Rudolph and Hodges beat Dobbs out. The only reason Dobbs made the team over Hodges is the former had trade value and they Steelers knew they could pick Hodges back up later.

You claim we can't know that Dobbs would suck, yet insist that you know he would be better than two guys who outplayed him in the preseason. That is :bscow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1