1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What if Ben doesn't recover fully.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Kreighoff, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    What can we do if Ben has no zip on the ball and is done. Is there a chance he was injured and didn't tell anyone when the season started. Its not like he lit it up in the short time he played. If we are stuck with his salary and he can't perform like he used to ,we are handcuffed for two more years.

2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Until we fix our offensive line problems, it doesn't matter how he comes back, or even if he does.

If we shore up the line, however, and he can't go, we need to get a FA qb to manage the offense and run the tires of the trio of backs we've got. We won't have to score a lot of points as long as we keep our D intact and possibly get some help in the secondary.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    we're doomed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You're forgetting something...................[​IMG] (It's a copyright thing I believe).

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    There is a very real possibility that he is done. It’ll probably take him several games to get back in to it either way. I don’t expect the first couple of games in 2020 to be pretty.

If he stinks the place up the whole of next season then I think he might retire. Most of his final year is not guaranteed so they will have to go get a free agent in that case, unless they draft somebody or Mason improves enough to take over.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Now I know it isn't going to happen but we need a QB's coach
    and A new OC that can work with these young QB's. And by the way there is no guarantee
    that Ben will come back with the same arm strength. We are like most NFL teams,
    we need players and coaches to step up each and every week. Limited game changers
    on Steeler team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    No more QBs until Ben is gone imo. Mason has a few more years too bad he is not built like Baldshaw.
    I want a top ten RB that's not brittle for when Ben puts on 100 pounds after he is out next year. o_O

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Fix the line and we have enough at qb past ben. The oft injured and elderly need to go. Ben is brazen enough to think he can step in and fix it all and the heads will let him. Start fixing what's wrong with the players around the an until Ben retires. Or hasten that retirement by getting rid of pouncey and foster, Ben will soon follow. It is time to start. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Injury or not, this day has been coming for a few years. Ben is on the downside of his career and even without the injury was year by year. The FO hasnt been serious about getting a replacement for Ben on the roster. Dobbs, Rudolph, Landry Jones, Hodges, Lynch, Dixon, Houston. None of the QBs they drafted or signed in the past 5-6 years are/were going to be the future for this team. And to say otherwise is being myopic and overly hopeful.

Further, Colbert and Tomlin haven't invested a 1st round pick in the offense since what, Pouncey? Sure, even drafting a QB in the 1st round isn't a guarantee they will be great in the NFL, but the odds are certainly better than the stretches they've made on drafting QBs in the last 5 years. As far as I'm concerned, the QBs they have drafted have been wasted draft picks. You know they wont be a franchise QB so why draft a backup when you can easily find a backup on waivers. Find your QB of the future and make an investment. That means first round pick or FA.

This day has been coming and the FO has had their heads in the damn sand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Mac I agree that there are other problems on O that need fixed. But I disagree that they have suitable talent at QB behind Ben. The guys they have are training camp arms and haven't shown much else.

11. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Cancel the 2020 football season. Will save everyone a few years on their lives from their blood pressure going sky high for 16 weeks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Start rebuilding the O and hope we have one last shot with Ben in 2022. He will be 500 lbs at least

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  13. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Ben hurt his elbow on his throwing arm, not by getting hit, not by falling on it, but by throwing the football. Like everything, you only get so much use out of something and then it's done. I can't see his arm being the same. But it will take a few games before he would admit to being done. Until that happens we are stuck with the same head coach, the same OC, anything Ben wants until he's gone. Once he hangs it up, they will have a chance to start over. The Steelers won't have the guts to pull the trigger before then.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ok boomer

Sorry been wanting to say that lol

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Unfortunately, we'll need to do what the Ravens did; have a couple of lousy seasons and re-build.

• Like Like x 2
  16. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    There's no telling how good Ben will be next year even if the arm comes back 100%.

a) natural aging, injury or not
    b) he doesn't look like he's missing many meals

Now Ben at even 70% of what he was last year is better than what we have now, but to think the Ben of 2020 is going to be like the Ben of 2018 probably isn't realistic.

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No one knows what Ben will be like when he returns so all these baseless opinions are just that. We'll find out what reality is soon enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Plus they aquire some reliable free agents so that helps alot!! Their playing for now and not building long term!! Jackson is not going to be able to keep running the ball like he is for long!!

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Catch nets will need to be placed under every bridge in Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Common, we need to celebrate another 8-8 first :drinks:

21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I will be fine, the Steelers on the other hand

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    QB coach is a must To salvage Rudolph. He needs to work on his feet and moving in the pocket quicker. This can only happen in the off season. A new OC that could help the new QB is a must. If Ben comes back and could play he almost doesn't need an OC, but the Young QB's need both. Tomlin won't and can't help the new QB's.

I don't know how you help Duck who doesn't have NFL arm strength, but Rudolph is fixable if he has quicker feet to avoid and side step pass rushers, and not try to throw over a rush up the middle. Rudolph could of avoided his injury because he couldn't move fast enough and got step on by Finney.

It's been said many times before, all will see how bad Tomlin coaches when Ben is gone. For his sake he better have a good QB coach and good OC.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I agree if they don't bring a QB coach in next year they are nuts. Should of had one this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben will be fine, he didn't have Tommy John surgery.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If Ben is not back to 100 percent come 2020, then Mason Rudolph BETTER be ready this time around. Hopefully another off season of training will help. Mason is going to likely be looked at as Ben's successor anyway after the conclusion of this 2020.

Now, assuming he is not the answer, look for the Steelers to go to Pro Days were the Top QBs are available. Some names include the following;

Steven Montez: University of Colorado

Or

Jordan Love: Utah State University

Keep in mind I did say should Mason not be the answer to the team.