1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Couple bright spots moving forward

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Diontae Johnson looking like a possible potential #1. Looking good on returns as well.

Washington as well looks he'll be a future factor.

White is looks like he's getting better and has some tools to work with. We need someone to emerge at RB.

Bush looked good today. Bright spot for the future.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014

Juju looked good last year - forgive me if I don't see Johnson and/or Washington doing what he did. Gotta have some one throw it to them. And someone to block so the QB can throw it.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We should be excited for our receivers next year, I’m curious once Ben comes back how it will all shake out...

Ben doesn’t always jive with certain guys, case in point he could never get on page with Manny Sanders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hopefully Ben can still throw the ball and short memories on this board forget that our O-line was a huge joke the year we won a Super Bowl. Ben even mentioned in the SB post game something like whose laughing at my O-line now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Good post...with all the negativity and Debbie downers that post on here.
    Realistically when Ben went down the season was a loss.
    My expectations went way down,and playoff hopes were gone.
    Who knows what happens next week.i guess we'll see

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    100 percent agree with the original post. It speaks to how monumentally terrible the QB situation is without Ben.

The offensive tools are there. The defense looks outstanding. In my opinion their biggest offseason need, besides an o-line upgrade, is to go after an NFL-tested QB who could step in and perform with at least a replacement level of competence if Ben goes down again. Sort of like Charlie Batch did bear the start of his time in Pittsburgh.

Brady might be available!

7. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    D Johnson is really good. If him and Ben can get on the same page he's easily a 1000 yard guy. Washington could be a good redzone target for Ben too. I'm ready for this season to be over. On to the next

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree on Devin Bush. He definitely had himself a good game despite the lack of splash plays from him. A good semi final finish to the season.

Here is hoping he closes out the season with a bang come next week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers have some tools to work with on offense. I think they need to address the back up QB situation with a vet and RB position in the off season. I am sure they will take a long look at the Oline.

10. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Baltimore destroys the duck...poor guy...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have said for weeks that I like or wr group. Add in Cain to the mix and we have some talent. I also think we have a good group of rb’s. DB55 played good today and I am over the whole mad that we drafted him. Hard to be positive right now after this loss so this is the best i can do.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Forgot to add Minkah Fitzpatrick. As I said after the trade, he was the final piece to this defense. Teams are no longer passing like crazy on us as they would have in the past. For the third straight week, Pittsburgh has held opposing teams to under 200 yards through the air. That is nothing short of impressive. Some of that definitely has to do with T.J. Watt as he is part of an ELITE pass rush.

The other half is Minkah commanding that secondary. Yes, he will still have his issues but more often than not, Minkah has been very steady. Now, a while back, I thought this trade was simply to replace Sean Davis for good.

However, I am now starting to believe there is more to this Minkah trade that Kevin Colbert and/or Mike Tomlin have been letting on. Barring some EXTREME change in 2020, Terrell's time in Pittsburgh approaches midnight quicker and quicker.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Why yanking him on some 3rd downs tho? I don't get it. Played good today and actually Barron didn't do bad either but there were some 3rds that bush exited and bell squirts through for another 1st.

15. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    There isn’t enough picks in 5 years to fix this offense

We have no QB I think Ben is done

Connor can barely make it through a quarter he’s done.

O Line is done except for DeCastro and maybe Feiler at RT need 3 more

JuJu sucks. Johnson and Washington at least show promise

McDonald sucks or is injured

I mean it will take 10 years to fix this offense

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I still think the D further improves should they bring in another DC that's a bit more creative! Many tool boxes on that side (who knows tho if bud, gravedigger and Hilton exit) time to unlock what more potential they could have.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I have not the foggiest. Tomlin stated that, earlier in the season, Bush Jr.s snap count was very limited so that he could thrive later on in the season. If that is the case, why remove him on third downs?!

Again, not sure. Perhaps Butler has a better comfort level with Barron?!?! If not that, Butler is likely then adding another defensive back but I did not see too many formations with 7 DBs. Have to look at the All-22 Tape but it looked like it happened 10 times or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I’m thinking Andy Dalton to back up Ben if he can’t play he’d be better than what we got now if we would’ve had laundry Jones we would have been better off this year

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That was 10 years ago, Ben still had mobility.

20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Good point.

21. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Definitely a difference maker, but our D is far from complete. Not even top 10.

Our pass rush has masked a woeful secondary all year. Teams don't have to air it out because you only need to score twice to beat us.

I've said this all season that if our front doesn't disrupt the qb, our secondary will be exposed. We have been beaten all year through the air. Not enough splash plays by the secondary to make up for their faults.

An INT is exciting, but I would take solid cb play over picks any day. Passes defended win more games than picks. You can win without turnovers. You can't win without contesting catches.

22. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    There are definitely some interesting QB's next year that will probably be available. Dalton,.Mariota..among others. How about Andrew Luck? You never know

23. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    QB is the least of our worries. Ben wouldn't have made it through the season behind our line.

Everything starts with the line, offensively and defensively.

Defense has a good line and can be built on.

Offense needs OL attention before anything else. We have 3 backs (not including Glass Conner) that could run well behind a decent line. And with that, Ben could make hay for the remainder of his contract (if he can come back healthy).

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Randy Fuktner isn't capable of calling plays that leverage player's strengths.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    A veteran back-up would be nice in light of what happened this year but I think it's a luxury they won't be able to afford. Needs on the o-line and another safety and probably a RB would trump that. They don't have a first rounder available, so probably more than any other year they will have to lean on free agency.

Someone mentioned Andrew Luck and that thought intrigues me. My personal feeling is that he is done. I think he's a pretty smart guy and he wants to stay that way and not suffer the affects of CTE, but how would that work if he wanted to play since he retired? Does Indy still control him, or is he free to work out and then sign with any team, like a true FA?