1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Paxton Lynch dress this week???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Dec 16, 2019.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey defva.

I agree with you about both Mason and Duck. They had their chances at QB.... for now. I posted trying Lynch for the Jets game. I got mostly "disagrees" with that idea. Hey that is okay. As much as I do not like playing musical QBs we have to establish who it is going to be as of right now. We are still "Significant" as far as a possible playoff spot. We have to figure this QB thing out Now!

My rationale for Lynch was simple: Let him get a full game under his belt before the last regular season game. At least this way we have film on all three of our QBs. Those that disagreed, unfortunately did not offer any explanation for their opinions which I wish they did. Maybe I am missing something here to my stance.

In fairness to the posters, and Mason and Duck, both Mason and Duck did have some success in their first few outings. However, their crash performances and timelines almost parallel each other. We are in a tough situation at QB any way you slice it. See what Lynch can do in a full game. This way, we at least have a sample size (as small as it is) of work for all of our QBs as Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

How successful was Mike Glennon overall?! Would you constitute him as a star QB?!

3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelers5859.

Yes, I definitely see your point and in part agree about: "experimental". However, the season only has so many games. We have seen both Mason and Duck in action. I, would like to see at least some sample size of Lynch. If it is going to be done, as much as I do not like "Musical QBs" , it has to be the Jets game. Maybe the time off for Mason helped him to "Regroup" himself. I know you want to start Duck, I would probably go back to Mason as the starter, not Lynch, for the reason being that maybe the time off has let Mason regroup himself.

Duck has not had enough time IMO to regroup from a poor performance. I only suggest this because of the inexperience for both Mason and Duck. If it was Ben or any other Veteran QB it is a no-brainer that, that QB starts again the next game. However, we are talking about two very young and inexperienced QBs here and I would only do the "Musical QB" thing (ugh!) under these circumstances. We are basically out of time to see who is going to lead us into the final regular season game and hopefully into the playoffs.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No, but he beat the Steelers twice... with Bucs in 2014 and with Raiders in 2018. :facepalm:

Ben, Bell and AB were playing vs. Bucs.... Ben and AB vs. Raiders. :rolleyes:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Another QB I wanted the Steelers to get to back-up. He would have been better than Rudolph or Duck.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't experiment with 2 games left in the season, Lynch isn't any better than Duck or Rudolph :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    How did Glennon beat the Steelers in 2018? Derek Carr started that Raiders game in 2018.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Glennon beat us as QB of Tampa Bay and the Chicago Bears.

With Tampa Bay he beat us at home.

The Chicago game was the whole team stayed in the locker room for the National Ath. except for Al V, game.

Mike Glennon Stiller killer.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Mason on odd downs & Duck on even downs

10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    OK, my mistake... you got me. It was the Bears, not the Raiders.

The Bears were sh!tty... so my point is valid and still stands. :smiley1:

Glennon has a better winning percentage against the Steelers than Goat Brady. In other words.... that's a very impressive winning percentage.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I've also seen the Steelers lose to such wonderous QB's of the Raiders.
    Bruce Gradkowski and Terrelle Pryor.

Let's face it your Grandma could QB the Raiders in Oakland and they would beat the Steelers.

Hopefully the move to Las Vegas changes that trend.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What can we lose. The other two ... are damaged mentally and have no confidence. But it look like Tomlin is sticking with Duck. I wonder what do the coaching staff see at practice? Because, they all seem surprised when these qb's have bad games

13. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Only thing he should dress is a salad.

14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'd say Tomlin will go with Duck until he stinks it up vs Jets... same situation as Rudolph vs. Bengals. Question is.... will it be Lynch or Rudolph who emerges from the bench. Rudolph will probably be #2, since he is more familiar with the playbook and has been on the team for 2 years.

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The playoff loss to Tim Tebow is the one I can't shake; probably because it was a playoff game.

16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I don't think that Hodges is shook or rattled, he just isn't very talented. I still think that he can manage the game by giving him a very non-risky game plan. We don't need him to win the game all he has to do is not lose the game. That falls on the coaching staff, don't put him a position to lose the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelersrule6.

I agree and disagree here with you on your quote:

Agree: "You don't experiment with 2 games left in the season".
    Disagree: "Lynch isn't any better than Duck or Rudolph".

I did point to the "experiment" factor in my post. And like you, I do not like the concept of "experiment" (Musical QBs) as well. However, Mason and Duck both had their chances.... for now. Neither has me feeling comfortable finishing up the season. When given the helm, both kind of paralleled their performances up to this point. A few good games and then "crash".

This is why I said we kind of know what we have with the two of them. We are in a playoff hunt. If you think Duck is the better choice, I fully respect your opinion. Hey, If it makes you feel any better so does your guy Tomlin as I saw he announced that Duck will start against the Jets. Fair enough (smile). In fairness to Duck, Mason did get a chance to start the next week against the Bengals after his disastrous performance against the Bills. So, again fair enough there.

I just do not think that any of our three QBs (two for sure) are the answer right now. Definitely not Mason or Duck, as we know what they bring to the table, although it is a small work sample for both of them. However, we have nothing on Lynch as a Steeler. Maybe he lights it up against the Jets and the Rats and then crashes like Mason and Duck. Maybe not.

If we are going to find out anything at all about Lynch, for this season, it has to start with this game which is back to my "Disagree" portion to your quote: "Lynch isn't any better than Duck or Rudolph". None of us know that because, I believe, he has never taken a snap as a Steeler.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My original point still stands.

Quarterbacks over 6'6 do not have much success in the NFL; whom they have beaten being nugatory. Only aspect that matters is consecutive winning seasons and playoff appearances for a QB. That constitutes as a successful QB; star ones at that.

Beating a team twice does not make that QB great.

19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    No.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    When was the last time Lynch won a NFL game? Where do fans come up with this nonsense, you don't play Lynch or even dress him for the game :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Lynch isn't the answer either

22. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I see your point but this is not the time to see a sample size of Lynch. If we are out of the playoffs I would start him the following game. Duck has shown he can do this better than any quarterback on the roster. We either sink or swim with him.

23. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Imagine what a bust PAXTON is when you can’t even beat out Duck Hodges. Damn

24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Paxton Lynch has had 4 NFL starts, the last one in 2017. He threw 4 TD's and threw 4 picks and was sacked 18 times in 4 games which is a lot. He completed 61.7 of his passes and had a 76 QB rating. So he wasn't horrible but not very good either, kind of what we have in Duck and Rudolph. The difference is that he hasn't taken an NFL snap in over 2 years.

25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelers5859.

Yeah, I have been going back and forth with this about Lynch. I was all in on the Mason camp until the Browns' game and was still alright starting him the next week against the Bengals. I had no problem when he got taken out of that game and replaced by Duck. It just seemed that Duck is following the same path as Mason unless of course Duck rebounds very nicely against the Jets. Then we can at least say that was the fork in the road where Duck was able to bounce back after his bad game where Mason did not. That would give me more confidence in Duck. I am on the fence about all of it.

Neither Mason or Duck has emerged as the answer but in fairness to both of them they each have only started a few games. This is why I suggested the Lynch idea. Hopefully, we make the playoffs. If we do, someone has to be the QB obviously. Given that, I personally just want to see what Lynch has. I get the cons to starting him and once again I do not like the Musical QBs concept. I also do not want Duck to have his confidence questioned after one bad game. In fairness to Duck, Mason did get a second chance with the Bengals game so from that perspective Duck should at least get his second chance against the Jets. If he really stinks the joint up I guess they could go to Lynch at some point in that game, time permitting. Take care.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1