1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Offense: First to Worst

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Glory Days, Dec 17, 2019.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Has any offense regressed so substantially as ours has from last year to this? Injuries didn't do this all by themselves. You have to work hard at getting this bad this fast.

It was a perfect storm. Munch leaving wrecked the OL. AB leaving took away the biggest threat opposing defenses faced. Ben's injury removed the stabilizing force and the cornerstone this offense was built around. And our coaches simply aren't good enough to overcome this type of adversity.

Tomlin has stated that he doesn't buy into, worry about, or waste his time with contingency plans. How's that philosophy working out for you, coach? That sums him up in a nutshell. He is only capable of working with what he has. He isn't good enough to prepare for the loss of his stars. Hell, he's in over his head just trying to win with the best team on paper.

The 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers: #1 Pretender in football

Thanks, Mike.

COTY (C#nt Of The Year)

• Like Like x 3
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Coach of the year bro. Bask in it
    B4D60A45-EB77-47D9-A7F8-D3D126D36447.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    That is...quite disturbing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought the 2014-2017 Steelers were the ultimate pretenders. At least the '19 team has won with 3rd and 4th string players on offense. We couldn't beat the Jags with Ben, Bell and Brown.... and never could compete with the Patriots in January, while barely beating a Chiefs team with Mahomes on the bench and Alex Smith at QB.

Add to that all of the losses to sub par teams like Raiders, Bucs, Jets, etc... in our so-called Super Bowl window. The '19 team has been a pleasant surprise.

Steelers lose to a team that could quite possibly represent the AFC in the Super Bowl... and everyone goes off the deep end. :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Terry Bradshaw pegged MT spot on. MT's an emotional leader, not an intellectual one. Sometimes that works but cheer leading the players who are not being better developed or prepared only goes so far. I feel your frustration and understand the venting but this topic is toast on here. Many agree, many don't and the sparing continues. Would be interesting to have a poll to see where the majority stands on MT. At the end of the season if the majority prefers to continue with MT, then I'd shut up and hope that the Tomlin debate subsides somewhat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Where you find this stuff I'll never know.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Stats may say were the worst offense, but that’s just stats. Save for a couple multi-turnover games our PS players have done what they needed to do to win versus healthy other teams. Wins are the only stat that matters.

8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin isn't going anywhere until Tomlin decides to leave. This is the truth.

I'm on the fence in regards to Tomlin. He has a lot to do with the vastly improved defense... and if the team wins the final 2 games and goes 10-6, this will be a major feather in the cap for Tomlin, no matter what happens in the wildcard round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I was seeing your perspective and ready to reply that you were right...right up until that last statement. The Bills aren't going anywhere. They aren't good. We are the only team above .500 that they've beaten. And we aren't that good. Don't call that stupid wildcat that resulted in a turnover and we likely win the game. But even of we had won, we still wouldn't be worthy of the playoffs any more than the Bills.

10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I disagree on the Bills. They are better than what you think... and our "improved" defense kept them from scoring 20+ points. It could have been a lot worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Wins are the only stats that matter, but how you win is telling. Until you look at how the W was gained, you'll never be ready to go out and get the next one. Tear the wins apart and learn from them just like the losses. You have just as much to fix after a win as you do a loss.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I could be wrong about the Bills, granted. But you just said our D, improved or not, held them to under 20. Without the gaffs on offense and special teams, our defense holds them to no more than 7. That doesn't sound so great to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    bills have a great defense and they are a mirror of us. our defense gets more turnovers and their offense is better

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The fact that there is little to no respect for what the Bills have done is very intriguing to me. People do realize that this is a Bills team that took both Baltimore and New England down to the wire correct?! They are legitimate Super Bowl Contenders in a colossally, laughably, incoherent AFC.

The fact that Pittsburgh traded blows with Buffalo up until that point is astonishing. Again though, the biggest X Factor remains. Until he gets out of his own way, Randy Fichtner will either help this team punch its ticket or sink the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Do the Bills have the Redzone weapons and QB to be genuine contenders? Their defence is very good but I don’t trust their QB or their offence as a whole to get it done vs better teams in january. Time will tell

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers offense was never first. :rolleyes: Even with a HOF QB and all pro WR and RB.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You’re only seeing the stuff that we allow him to post...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  18. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    No way we will win both these games. If we can't win at home against a team we are pretty equal with (Bills), then these untested QBs will have too much pressure to win at Jets and at Ravens(even without some of their starters)...

If we can't generate or stick to a more consistent run game, we will not do well in the passing game w/ Duck or Mason...

a chance at the jets. No chance in Baltimore.

19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm going to have nightmares for a week...and not about our next game.

20. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Maybe they're not GREAT but the defense is LEGIT and can win anywhere in the postseason.

21. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    First to worst with the same coaches. It's almost as though coaching isn't the predominant factor in team performance and there is some other factor that matters more. I wonder what in the world that could be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    If we lose the last 2, And lose them bad...Tomlin will still be back...Unless " hopefully " That Washington rumor comes to fruition after the season as to not cause any tampering...GIVE US A 1ST ROUNDER OR 2!

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

The Steelers also took the Rats, 49ers and Seachickens down to the wire and all honesty should have won them games......We are on our 4th string QB missing so many starters and the Bills are full strength. Let's hold up on putting these guys in the SB

• Like Like x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have been one of the toughest against MT however he has done a pretty darn good job. Like I said I am not on the Tomlin bandwagon I wanted him gone before the season, however with all this team has gone through on the injury side you have to give credit where credit is due. Let me ask you guys something if we are gonna talk about the bad job both Butler and Fitch are doing then who gets credit for the turn around in this defense? I mean you can't have it both ways either Tomlin is bad or Tomlin turned it around.

I want Tomlin gone but I feel you have to be fair he is doing a great job and how do you let him go after this season? He is on his 4th string QB, lost Tuitt, Pouncey, Vance, Juju more multiple games....that is a lot for any coach to over come. Like it or not he is doing a COTY job and I am not a Tomlin supporter but I call it the way I see it.

25. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    When a team loses it's starting QB and WR, suffers injuries, has a rookie udfa QB starting, and is young at WR it's easy to understand why they regressed offensively. They are also handicapped from a salary cap perspective.

As such, the organization has adapted a plan to place this team in contention. I'm not sure what people expect?

• Agree Agree x 1