1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Playoff Scenarios

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AFan, Dec 16, 2019.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Oh come on man. We can beat the Jets and a Ratbird team not playing their starters.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Duck Hodges and this offense vs a Greg Williams coached defense? Let's just say I'm not confident.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    The only way for the Steelers to get the WC at 8-8 is to have a 3 way tie with TN, Indy and PIT. Anything else and the Steelers are eliminated by either division record by Cleveland or SOV by Oakland (if Indy eliminates TN by division record).

The two games that killed the Steelers were their loss to Buffalo last night and Indy's loss to TB last week. Flip either of those games and the Steelers would likely be in with a win vs NYJ.

4. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    The other thing that may give the Texans a little incentive to play in week 17 even if they won in week 16 - the Texans could have an outside shot at the 2 seed (big incentive) or the 3 seed (a little incentive).

At 11-5, Houston would win tiebreaker with KC and/or NE.

Not likely that NE loses 2 or KC loses 1, but if NE loses to Buffalo in week 16 and all 3 games (Tenn at Hou, Mia at NE and LAC at KC) start at the same time - maybe Houston tries

Also, Houston/KC may want to play the Steelers instead of the Titans and may want to avoid Balt or NE in R2, so that may come into play.

Steelers need to just win and handle their own business, but I don't get the feeling this offense can win 2 road games.

5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why, do we even want to be in the playoffs? We have zero chance of going to the superbowl. We would just be in the way. It's not like ... if we would get to the playoffs and Ben (the stay puff marshmallow man) would be back. Or, if tomlin get to the playoffs and have a chance to win coach of the year. I'm a Steeler, through and through, but John Harbaugh should win coach of the year. This is not our year.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    WELP! Based on the way Saints Colts is going, only the doomsday 8-8 scenario is in play. And yes....based on the close losses to SF, Sea, Balt, Buff yeah I want to get in regardless of record. One more week of hoping against hope.... No chance of advancing in the playoffs if you don't make it....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Just beat the Jets. Worry about what needs be done after beating the Jets.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Or just win the final two games and get in regardless of what the Titans do. I'll be paying more attention to Ravens-Browns than Titans-Saints. If the Ravens win, they lock up the No. 1 seed before Week 17. Then we hope Harbaugh sits a bunch of starters, or at least Jackson. It still wouldn't be a lock, but the Steelers would certainly have a better shot in that case.

9. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I agree, if we can't beat the Jets we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

10. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Well you can scratch the Indy finishing at 9-7 scenario and cancelling out the Titans for us at 9-7. The only way that scenario is in play now is if everybody finishes 8-8 which is highly unlikely but still possible I guess. The Steelers would still need Oakland to lose one of their final 2 games at LA against the Chargers or at Denver to avoid losing a strength of victory tiebreaker to them if the Titans Colts, Steelers and Raiders all somehow finish 8-8. At this point the Steelers top 2 ways of getting into the playoffs are 1. Win out against both the Jets and Ravens and finish 10-6 and win the tiebreaker over Tenn no matter what. Or 2. Go 1-1 against the Jets and Ravens and have the Titans lose in Houston the final week.

Like JPP said above the Texans still are gonna have potential higher seeding to play for in that game even if they wrap up the division and can still be potentially playing for a bye week since they own head to head tiebreakers over both the Patriots and the Chiefs, or will want to be the 3 seed over 4 so that they can play the Steelers or Titans in the wildcard round over the Bills.

So we’ll see how it all plays out. But as I said earlier I would much rather be in the Steelers position the final 2 games where I control my own destiny to get into the playoffs then the Titans scenario where they need to win and get some help. Those scenarios more times then not usually don’t end up working out.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    AFan said:

"At 9-7, the Steelers will have 7 conf wins. If TN gets to 9-7 by beating NO and not Hou, they'll have 6 and pit wins the tie. If TN gets to 9-7 by beating Hou, they'll have 7 conf wins too. The next tb is common opps, both TN and Pit are 3-2 vs them. So the next tb is strength of victory, and TN has that one."

---Okay! Since it is unlikely that both TN and PIT lose all 4 remaining games the above is it. Of course both could also win out then the Steelers get it simply with their 8-4 conf. record.

But for the sake of argument, I have a question. I have always hated that common games crap since they stuck it ahead of SOV and even ahead of conf record in inter division scenarios. Furthermore, I have never seen it come into play. {just me}

Anyhow, I clearly understand how the SOV is the deciding factor and think it should be ahead of the common game one. I argued this for years.

Now my question is how could the Cleveland game be common since Pit played them twice and conversely the Indiana game which TN played twice. There is nothing common about playing a team once or twice.

Anyway, I considered the CG angle not applicable and got the same result. And since I have for years now followed Cowher's strategy---wait until the final game ends Sunday Dec.29---then look. See ya!

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I guess the logic is that it's common opponents, not common games. Tn played Indy twice, but Pit played Cle twice, so in theory that's fair. And in this case , they have similar records too. You can argue it's bad tiebreak design, but it's the rule.

The logic of using common games over conf record for division tbs, is because it considers a larger set of games. Division teams play 14 common opponents vs 12 conf opponents. So that makes this tb more 'fair'. Again you can argue, but that's the rule.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's actually not true. If we lose to the jets and beat the Ravens then Titans drop both their games we deserve to be in the playoffs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Only reason I want to make the playoffs is to add to our numbers. In the Super Bowl era I believe we have made playoffs 30 times so why not make it 31?

15. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Any given Sunday, if you make it to the dance maybe cause some havoc.

But, they need to improve a whole lot more on offense. Dropping back to throw 40 + times is on the coaches. Some of that was because of ineffective runs on 1st and 2nd downs making for 3rd and long. However, a draw play on 3rd down, get what you can get and punt is better than 5 turnovers. Not having a running back take the shotgun snap would be better.

Our playmakers are either injured or tweeting. Need playmakers for the wildcat to work.

16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I am all about getting into the playoffs. While I dont necessarily like our chances going up against the likes of KC, I want to see it. Even if we got blown out. I love watching Steeler playoff football.

I get what the other poster was saying. The Jets are not really a good team. If we lose to them, then what's the sense?

If Steelers, Titans and Colts all finish 8-8 and we squeak into the playoffs that way, it's a little greasy.

While we have exceeded expectations this year, given the injuries, a large reason we are 8-6 right now is largely due to a relative easily schedule.

Once again, I'll take playoff football any way I can get it, but I'd feel better about it if we went in at 10-6 rather than 8-8.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Remember the Arizona Cardinals, who came close to beating us in SB and the NY Giants in 2011 were both consider a joke when they got into playoffs with 9-7 records. Giants stopped a 18-0 Patriot team.

Although both of them had a much better QB then we can put out there.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah me too. I want to make the playoffs even if we're one and done. Just get there and anything can happen. The whole "deserve thing is silly to me. If you qualify for the playoffs you deserve to be there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    The Steelers are still in a better position then the Titans to get in at this point. The Steelers don’t need help to get in the playoffs the Titans at this point do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea I’m with you there as well. To sit there and say “ohh well there just gonna lose anyway so why does it matter” is very very annoying to hear and read. This team is capable with this defense of maybe winning one wildcard game if things go right for them. Nobody will pick them to win either whether it’s in KC, Houston or wherever. This team and Tomlin I feel can use that as motivation if they do get in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I am usually one of the biggest optimists here-being a fan in the 70s made me so for multiple reasons.

But- I don't see making the playoffs happening now. I do think the Steelers can win against the Jets, and I'll be at the game to see it.

However, I think Harbaugh plays Lamar and the first time O in the finale longest enough to get out to say, a 10-0 lead, and that will be enough to overcome the Steelers. Meanwhile, the Texans will have wrapped up division and seeding by then in all probability, and will blow off the Titans game.

What we need to root for is for Houston to lose this week and for Tennessee to win against the Saints. That sets up a duel for the AFC south that the Texans will be motivated to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it's pretty simple at this point. I think these are the scenarios for the Steelers to make the final playoff spot.
    Steelers win both they are in.
    Steelers lose the next two games, Titans also have to lose next two games. Cleveland and the Raiders also would have to lose 1 of their last 2 in this scenerio.
    Steelers go 1-1 in either games, and Titans go 1-1 (but their loss as to be to Houston in the final game)

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because the young players would get some playoff experience, also if the Steelers get to 10 wins it probably increases Watt's chances of being the DPOY :hehehe:.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    If we make playoffs it'll be sweet cuz I have no expectations after that lol