1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Restart the Mason Rudolph era

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Dec 15, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s the same play calling that got MR jammed up. MR actually had worse OL play and a less effective running game to lean on. It seemed early on we could of leaned on the run game but from some strange reason decided not too. MR also lost all his weapons in the Cleveland game yet they still decided to throw the ball 40 times. The biggest difference to me between the 2 QBs is Hodges will give his WRs a chance. MR was too cautious. WRs are actually making plays on a lot of 50/50 balls. The supporting cast had stepped up for Hodges they didn’t do the same for MR. Last night they didn’t step up as much for Hodges...and it showed. There seems to be a lot more criticism of the OC now then there was defending MR. Its the same guy.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If the Steelers think Rudolph has a chance to become the QB after Ben retires, then they shouldn't put him back in this season.

His technique was getting worse the more he was playing.
    At this point, they need to give him time to break bad habits, and develop better technique. Break down the player, then build them back up. But he won't be able to do that if they toss him into games now, while his instincts are to go back to what he was used to doing.
    (That was why our previous DL coach didn't start Heyward until his 3rd year. Make sure the good techniques have become 2nd nature.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I kinda agree with this. It would be hard to assume MR issues have been fixed in a couple weeks time. That being said I wouldn’t be opposed to giving Hodges the same leash that MR got and that would be the first half against the Jets. I don’t see much harm being done to his psyche by hoping he can provide a spark for the second half in a game we need to win.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with alot being said here. We have to ride the hot hand. See where Duck is at after the 1st half vs NYJ.

We MUST win that game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Hodges and Rudolph are both well below average NFL qb’s. To argue which one is better/worse is pointless. The Steelers defense has won 8 game this year and possibly could have won last night had the offense not lost the games with interceptions, fumbles, and a terrible punt.
    This season is what it is. I consider 8-8 a successful season and hopefully we can build on it in the future with better qb play and health on offense.

6. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Rookie QB mistakes cost us the game.

That being said, I’m still way more confident in Duck throwing the ball then I am in MR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It would help if the offensive coordinator remembered that he has a rookie out there. He clearly forgot much of the game last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Just keep going with Hodges and finish the year. You cant pull him after one bad game for two reasons. 1) IF there's any chance that he can be in your future plans as a starter or back up, you don't want to rattle his confidence by benching after that game because 2) It doesn't matter anyway. This is just a season long try out for both QBs. Even if they finish 8-8, with all that they've gone through this year, this season is a success. Not saying that they shouldn't try or play like it, but this team isn't going anywhere. The realistic goal at this point is to prep for the future and hope to play spoiler somewhere along the line.

9. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

Agreed. In their worst games, MR and Duck's stat lines are similar:

MR @ Cleveland 23/44 221 1 TD 4 INT 4 sacks 1 fumble
    Duck vs. Buffalo 23/38 202 1TD 4 INT 4 sacks 1 fumble

Granted, Buffalo's Defense is better than Cleveland's, however the Steelers Defense played much better last night than in Cleveland several weeks back.

I think they split reps this week and start Duck. If there's negative carryover from last night yank him at halftime like you did with MR in Cincinnati.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    What's truly disgusting are the pass attempts by both QBs in these games. Both were close games. That's in Fichtner and Tomlin. Shouldn't have to throw more than 30 times.

Run the damn ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, exactly this. That game last night was lost as much by Fichtner as anybody. The Bills have a great pass defense, but you can run on them. Last night was a perfect example of the Steelers doing what they do rather than adapting for the opponent. The same is true of the defense. Teams have had great success with all-out blitzes on Allen, but the Steelers just refused to do it and he often had too much time.

Once they saw how Conner was running early, he should have gotten the ball a lot more.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You glossed over the difference in the opposing defenses way too quickly. The Bills are much better defensively than the Browns, though the pass protection was weak in both games.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It was also a road game which almost always makes it more difficult on any offense. Cleveland was out to make a statement that game and clearly out for blood. Factor in the loss of Conner,JUJU and DJ and Rudolph was certainly up against it. Yes statistically Buffalo has the better D but when you factor in everything else it’s not that big of a disparity. Maybe none....

14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yep, start Woodley, no start Malone, no start Blackledge! I believe all were 1st round picks...(not by us)...that is probably what we have to look forward to for the next few years.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The Int's were bad, but the constant head scratching, ineffective play calling are to blame as well. You are first and goal from the 10 and call the wildcat, with a RB who has been out for weeks. You have Whyte and Snell who have been pretty effective in the run game, yet you barely use them. The plays themselves are not pro quality, perhaps this is because of all the young guys we have..or that the OC is simply a moron.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    This team needs to win the SB and it won't happen with Duck. It won't happen with Ben looking like he is either! This team needs to groom Mason, this year! Every snap counts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    HAHAHAHAHA

MR is not gona win no damn SB Not this year, not nxtyear, not 13 years from now, its not gonna happen

18. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Put Mason Back in there... He does a better job of stepping up in the pocket and everyone was b!itching about the dink & dunk game knows that was what they needed to do last night... James Washington has made duck look good, Rudolph has talent...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    What we see with the Duck is what we will always see with the Duck. Weak arm, not very accurate. Mason probably will get better but never amount to anything more than a backup.

20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    My lord, have some of you forgotten how God awful MR was. His arm may actually be weaker than Duck's. His accuracy was demonstrably worse. He was always a split second late on his delivery. The only thing he has over Duck from what I saw is height.

Neither of these two are starting NFL QB material imo. "Developing " either of them for the future at the expense of the here and now just doesn't make much sense given the position the team is in. Gotta go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win which I think is Duck.

/watch them name MR starter tomorrow making me look like a jackass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If Hodges is ineffective in the first half against the Jets then I think Rudolph comes out for the second half. I would assume that what the coaching staff has seen in Paxton Lynch isn't much because he would be in the mix if he was showing anything at all in practice.

22. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Crazy to think that Lynch was a 1st round pick two years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    He's 6'7" and has a big arm but I guess his work ethic was questionable when he played for the Broncos.

24. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I agree 100%

Also, having a dedicated QB coach seems like a logical idea given the age of our QBs.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Your finally figuring this out he can't coach? He needs to be gone.

So what is the bloated bearded homeless man doing on the sidelines? Making plenty of coin...