1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Restart the Mason Rudolph era

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Time to see if Mason is ready to get out there with a chip and see what he can do

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    They can play anyone they want at this point. Playing one extra game in the playoffs is really pointless. It's time to find a quality back up QB if it's in the draft or a trade. Pray that Ben can come back and last long enough for us to get our next starting QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I have been saying all along that Mason would be back in the Buffalo game; I guess I should have been says that Mason would be back because of the Buffalo game

• Like Like x 3
  4. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    They should have started Mason game 1 and given him the full 16 game ride, take him on the circuit, give him a full year with the first team. He needed the full year. They made a mistake this year.
    Ben is done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Tanker65

Tanker65 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I know I will probably catch flak for it but maybe try Lynch?

<DUCKS>

Seriously though not much to lose, may as well see what you have with him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    With Rudolph it's all mental. The concussion. The helmet swing. The racist accusations.

If he is mentally right, he is a far better QB that Hodges. Has this "break" done him well?

Atrocious putting by Duck but he was out in a terrible position. In a game we never trailed by more than 7, why we asked Duck to throw so many passes is beyond me. Conner crushed all game but only got 8 attempts. What's that?

Still, the door for Rudolph has to be cracked open a little wider after tonight.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    no

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Can’t be worse than Hodges. There’s a reason Hodges was undrafted. He’s not good.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Oklahoma State QB can't play QB in the NFL

10. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Duck is a rookie, playing with subpar talent going against a good defense.Duck is a lot more mobile than Mason. The o-line didn’t give him time. That wishbone call was all on the coaches. Duck made a couple of bad throws, but plenty of blame to go around. They have chance to correct next two games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    They would have lost to Cincinnati, Cleveland and Arizona with Mason.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    What's funny is that this Undrafted Rookie outplayed the 3rd round (First round grade) 2nd year supposed next man up and everyone is dogging him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Back up qb for a horrendous oline effort. Maybe if we don't need to beat the Ravens in the final game.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    4 weeks ago you were calling him the worst QB in the league?

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Not last night. He was intimidated.

Oh now the O Line didn't give him time? And they gave all the time in the world for Rudolph.

I like Hodges scrappiness but face it he CANT throw the ball consistent. That last interception last night was one of the ugliest throws I have ever witnessed.

It's time to make a change for better or worse. Rudolph should be right in the head after a major concussion which I feel he should have had more time to recover and then getting belted with his own helmet rung his bell again.

Look the real issue is this O Line. Even the bloated one would have issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    Those throwaways would have been sacks with Mason in there. Duck threw a long interception at 3rd and 14. This was just as good as a punt. The interception he threw for the run back and first one in end zone were poor throws. He moved the ball otherwise. I don’t think Mason moves the ball. The pressure was there because of blitz. There were nearly not enough slants or quick throws to counter that blitz. Where was the preparation? That’s on Fitchner.

This is Duck’s first bad game and he wasn’t helped by OC. Let’s see if he bounces back before Mason get’s back in.

‘Experts’ have been more wrong on QB’s then right.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    We had to go to Hodges because Rudolph lost all of his confidence and didn't have his mind right.

If that is still the case, then you stick with Hodges .

If Rudolph is ready to guide this team again, then you go back to him. He is the better QB. Outside of mobility, Rudolph is better in every other way.

Think of all the duck merch that has been sold the last 2 weeks. Think how many bright red noses we could sell for Sunday.:lolol:

Hodges is not the future. I still think Rudolph could be.

I think one thing we can agree on is how much hard work Ben is going to have to get himself back on the field. Yikes. Get that man a Peloton for Christmas

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    Rudolph is not better in every other way. He has bad footwork and is inaccurate on midrange throws.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    This was hodges first real test, honestly thought the play calling was too liberal for him against the best defense we have faced. Conner was running good and and the short passing game was doing ok.No clue why he threw it that many times and no clue why he was trying to throw bombs to the endzone and refused to clock it at the end. Honestly he looked way out of his element

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm guessing Steeler fans will be having QB discussions for the next few years.

I can't see Ben being the kind of person who will do all that it takes to get in great shape for next season.

21. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    42-15 , that was the play calling ..Horrible,horrendous,outrageous etc.ect.
    I’ve been a huge MR supporter but with the play calling it would not matter who was back there ..

I wouldn’t mind seeing MR back out there though, this is an off year , no real expectations so really no reason to feel all the disappointment..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    We yanked Rudolph (deservedly) after a 8/16 85 yard 1st half against Cincy.

What was Hodges at halftime last night? The number 43 yards comes to mind.

Hodges and Duck Mania was born out of our defense winning us games. Not our QB.

In the end, whether it's Rudolph or Hodges, we do not have much of a chance unless our Defense puts us on their back.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

;+)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Duck had more than a bad game, the throws were awful under pressure, but I still think he gives us a chance. We're talking back ups here so keep that in mind.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Honestly, Hodges wasn't that bad in the first half last night. It all fell apart with the second interception, for which Fichtner needs to take a huge part of the blame.

• Agree Agree x 2