1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Nelson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Dec 13, 2019.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Everyone

Now here is a guy that up to this point, has not been talked about much here. I am not sure why. At least I have not seen any posts. I do apologize if there is one and I am missing it.

However, I wanted to throw some love his way. He has been Great for us. He and Haden are kind of the equivalent of Bud and TJ. The article (see the link below) points out that he has no interceptions this year. Hey, that is okay as long as he is “Locking Down” his side of the field; which once again, up to this point, he seems to be doing a great job at.

So Mr. Nelson, if you are reading this Board, and for all other participants here, writers and on-lookers, here is to Mr. Steve Nelson and what he has been doing for us. Keep up the great work! You really are making a difference for the Black and Gold.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Steve Nelson Article Link

https://triblive.com/sports/in-1st-year-with-steelers-steven-nelson-emerging-as-shutdown-cornerback/

upload_2019-12-13_7-34-32.png

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Most underrated player on D, IMO. Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Bush, Watt and improved Dupree has transformed this defense from a bungling liability to one of the best in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Nelson has been a freaking anchor. He's one of the best DBs in football right now... flat-out lockdown. He's not getting the turnovers but he doesn't have to with the flexibility he gives Haden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He has surpassed expectations, the Steelers now have two dependable corners which is very encouraging after years of ineptitude at the position.

His initial contract with the Steelers looks to have been a ‘try before you buy’ deal and I expect they will extend him this off season to give him more security and to get his cap number down if possible.

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree about not hearing much about him, but that's a good thing from his position. Seems like teams shy away from his side. Big help to this defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey HeinzMustard.

I could not agree more as far as the "Most underrated" comment you made. Like I stated, I do not see Nelson mentioned here on the Board. Maybe I missed it if he was. Either way, I just wanted to give him is own "Deserving Thread". It is just amazing how this "D" has "transformed" as you stated and seemingly overnight. I just hope management gets it that we cannot continue to do everything through the draft. In addition, when we look for a trade, or a free agent, go for the Top Tier Proven Players not these mid-range players that we are known for acquiring in the past. Take care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he has no picks and you never see him because he is blanketing his receiver. Haden gives up plays because he is going against the best for the most part, but the pass rush is hitting home so fast that Mink is just waiting for that mistake in the backfield

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey unclueblue012.

Yes, him and Haden seem to compliment each other very well. Now, throw in Minkah and there is 3/4 of our secondary pretty set. I am however, trying to be patient with Edmunds. I know it takes time as Bud Dupree is a perfect example of that. Nonetheless, if Edmunds' light would finally go on, and play at the level of the three that I just mentioned, then....WOW!

Come on Terrell kid. Lets bump it up a notch or too. We are all behind you. You wear the Black and Gold. That in itself is a true Honor & Privilege. I just felt I needed to give a little pep talk there unclueblue012. You know, just in case he, or other players, may be reading the board (smile).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelersFanIrl.

Yes, if he continues playing as well as he is, then yes an extension is imperative. As I stated in another post here in this thread, Nelson and Haden compliment each other very, very well. Management knows and acknowledges his value to this team. If not, they better read this thread then (smile).

You know the Steelers, they will not break the bank, however, they will offer him a "fair and reasonable" contract. Plus the intangible. You are playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Man, what an honor and privilege it must be to play for such a great organization. The freakin' Pittsburgh Steelers. Just Wow!

10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey bigbenhotness.

Perfectly analyzed my friend. Yes, do not get me wrong. I too am not worried about the picks if they come then great if not as long as he keeps just doing what he is doing. He recognizes his role and is executing it exceptionally well. There is no place for me, me, me, me. We have seen how that story unfolds without having to mention names. That in part is why I wanted to put this thread together. Hopefully, he and everyone else (Steeler employees and fans) are reading it and see just how much he is appreciated. Take care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I haven't been able to watch too many Steelers games this year but is he w/o turnovers because the opposition just doesn't throw his way due to his coverage?

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep. Sources say the receivers are collapsing due to lack of oxygen

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

I, like you, have not watched a lot of the games or rather whole games. However, something is going on, and good it seems, on Nelson's side of the field. You know how it goes the with passing game. The opposing QB is going to have to pick his poison. I guess we have to ask some of the following questions:
    • Is Nelson more effective than Haden?
    • Statistically, is Haden the better option for the opposing QB to try to attack?
    • Does Nelson strike more fear into the opposing QBs than Haden?
    • What role do our safeties play in this, if any?

Better yet, lets not even question this good thing and just be grateful for it (smile). Take care.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Burns & Sensaubaugh use to get picked on quite a bit for success by the opposition. That & the middle of the field before Minkah shut it down.

15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Still dont like him because he help contribute to the debacle kc secondary that giftwrapped brady another sb.

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Andy Reid doesn't have time for defense.

17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey FootballAnalyst98.

Well he is a Steeler now and helping us win games. No need to dwell on the past. Sometimes easier said than done. I am not sure what else I can say to help you out with your frustration. Just old clichés I guess. Trust me, I still hold some grudges from certain players/coaches of all my sports teams from years past.

I am still P-O about last season. If we win just one more game we win the division and go to the playoffs. I blame a lot of that on Tomlin and still do not forgive him for that "meltdown". We had a 2.5 game lead going into the second half of the year and I remember Ed Bouchette saying "Oh, they are still going to win the division." We see how that turned out.

The division was there for the taking with just one more win. Shoot, you could go back to the first game of the season last year where we tied with the Browns as one of those games that was a difference maker. I am getting P-O as I am writing this now just thinking about it again. So, trust me 98 I get it.

Hey venting is good and if you need to do it here I get it. Take care.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Steven Nelson has been the most underrated player of this defense. Sure, Mike Hilton could potentially make this claim based on one's evaluation. However, Nelson's contributions are equal or surpass that of Hilton's but his efforts are almost either never mentioned or entirely forgotten all together.

Best example as of recently?! Odell Beckham Jr. had his most explosive play against Steven Nelson in addition to one of his biggest plays of the season in Week 12. In the rematch, Nelson did not allow Odell Beckham Jr to register a single catch when going up against him.

Not good enough?! How about not allowing a catch to the likes of Larry Fitzgerald on the outside. Why else would Kliff Kingsbury move Fitz inside?!

Plenty of more examples I can detail but the end result is the same. Steven Nelson has been "Steady Eddie" for this team. If anything happens to him, while I do believe Cameron Sutton can get the job done, I dare shutter to think what would happen. :worried:

• Like Like x 1
  19. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I think Haden takes more chances to be in position to make a play for the ball such as jumping routes and undercutting WR. Per PFF, Haden has given up 36 receptions on 69 targets, with Nelson @ 26 receptions on 49 targets with Nelson missing one game.

20. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Good stats right there. Sometimes the numbers can be misleading because they don't tell the whole picture. The same could be said for reception vs. target stats because both corners need to be evaluated along with the style of D and opponent tendency/skillset.

But in this case, both corners are eliminating roughly half of their targeted receptions. That's a substantial number in terms of field position and sustaining drives. That number needs to stay there, if not drop a little, however, for the Steelers to make noise in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Agree with most posts here. Completely underrated and largely unnoticed. He is locking down his man week in and week out.

A great pickup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I just hate the patriots man lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would have to take your word for it, but read an article about a month ago that the CB's switch often, and Nelson is on the One very often and doing a terrific job. This has allowed Haden to be more proactive. Either way, I will take dependable and quietly successful over the trash we have had in recent years. If is is comfortable doing a great job quietly, while others get the splash plays, then more power to him. The guys in the locker room know how important his job is, sometimes that is enough kudos for players.

• Like Like x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Well that’s awesome lol

25. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Former Oregon State Beaver! :)