1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hmmmm.....

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by thesteeldeal, Dec 13, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    What do you do if you're satisfied with either Duck or Masons development though.

You draft him, then you're bringing 4 QB's into camp and you're definitely cutting one of them.

Quite frankly, they way Duck has played, he's not getting past waivers again.

Has Rudolph shown enough to stick over him?

3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Obviously if you’re happy with what you have you don’t draft a QB. That would be up to the coaching staffs evaluation. The thing that makes it interesting is the huge upside. Again up to the coaches and scouts evaluations but a potential franchise QB in the second round is intriguing and fathomable. Just a thought....

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You keep with the kid until you find out if he can, you make the pick when he cant. We will never know until Ben is gone so you build the offense for when. The oline and TE position needs added to. Dline as well. corner. OLB depth. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Concur with Mac. People are giving up on Mason a bit too early. He was doing fine up until getting whacked by Earl Thomas. Since then, he did not look the same.

The Mason project has been shelved for the 2019 Season as Pittsburgh is in the thick of the NFL Playoff Push. Such a time is not the time for experimentation. Finding out next year will be barring any major developments that happen in the offseason.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Nope. Don't like Jalen Hurts as a QB that much... TBH I think we have a better chance with Duck. I think Ben is playing his swan song with us next year trying to win one more ring before he walks into the sunset. no need to bring another guy in. We can let Duck and Mason develop another year and then make a decision on where we need to be at QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No to hurt. Duck is playing winning football. Ben didn't exactly light it up his first season but had a good team around him. Keep the defense together and strengthen the offense around the kid. Don't build around Ben even though it will help both. Duck will actually have a better feel for our offensive players then Ben will. Ben has not played all year with these guys. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven’t done any film study of Hurts, but from what I have seen watching games on Saturdays he lacks consistent accuracy and makes some questionable decisions. He really benefits statistically from playing a Big 12 schedule. There are a lot of QBs who light it up in college, but aren’t able to translate to the pro game. That’s my initial impression of Hurts.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m far from thinking Hurts is a can’t miss prospect. I just thought the idea was intriguing. Obviously the scouting needs to be done but you’re not exactly getting to pick from the cream of the crop mid to late second round. Evaluations will be thoroughly done to assess his potential. I haven’t given up on MR either. Duck came crashing back down into the pond last nite. It’s impossible to sit here right now and have confidence either guy is the future. They both need more time and more help from their supporting cast. I was just sharing a article....jeez! .....lol

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I am pretty sure you won't hear anymore comments about Duck being the future or not passing waivers with the way he has played....

I like the link you shared and was thinking this morning we need to draft a QB. It don't have to be round 2 I do get it we have other bigger needs as well. However there also is FA so some of them needs could get fixed. Depending what happens we could be down a starting OLB and a DT/NT.

I will be watching the bowl games with QB being a very big interest. After what I have seen the last 3-4 weeks we need another guy to throw in the mix with MR and Duck. I am very worried about Ben coming back next year and even if he does how much does he have left? I am not a draft guru but I do enjoy reading and watching players. Some names that I will start with for different reasons are but not limited to:

Jordon Love Utah St
    Jacob Eason Wash
    KJ Costello Stanford
    Kellen Mond Texas A & M
    Steven Montez Colorado

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Jordan Love is getting some hype. He was expected to transfer but decided to come out instead. From what little I saw he looks to have a big accurate arm but a lot of guys do. It’s such a crap shoot man. Sometimes you have to keep taking those shots...

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I just started reading and his name came right up, he is a guy that has a good bowl(s) and combine could be one that shoots up the boards. It is a crap shoot and that is why I have said in the past I would draft a QB every year. The reason is if the guy has hype and a good preseason he could have value and if you keep him maybe he turns out to be good.....who knows. Look at what the cheats do, Brissett and Jimmy G to name a couple.

Some stuff on Love:

INSIGHT ON LOVE: Is very accurate, especially with his deep throws, and has a strong arm... A good athlete... A natural leader and a great teammate... Has a high football IQ and executes the offense at a high rate.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I think if Hurts is sitting there in round 4 when the Steelers pick (they have 2 x 4's I believe) you have to give it strong consideration. Just my opinion. I like Duck but with Hurts running ability he gives you more options than Duck and Hurts is at least a good of a passer (probably better).

I haven't given up on Mason though, I truly believe that he hasn't fully recovered from the concussion. He was playing well before being KO'd.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Steven Montez would be a solid player if the Steelers actually looked into the PAC-12 for players; much less QBs. Pittsburgh drafting in that conference is like finding $50 to $100 on the ground when you walk to work; very seldom. That said, too early to give up on Mason.

Again, he has yet to play a full season; 500 snaps as a player doubly so. I don't remember Big Ben taking a whollup to the noggin by a rival Defensive End in his rookie season. Mason Rudolph though can be replaced if there is any major developments within Tomlin's end of year presser in addition to Art Rooney IIs comments leading up to the 2020 Draft.

Should bad comments come out before then, then and only then will Mason be in trouble.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    :lolol::lolol: Serious, no one is commenting on this part of the article??

"Having Mike Tomlin as his coach would be the best-case scenario for Hurts. Tomlin is one of the best at adapting game-planning to the players he has, and there is no doubt they could create the perfect offense that plays to his strengths."

They just let Dobbs go in favor of two pocket passers. I can't say they won't be interested, I'm sure they will take a look. I laugh at the creating the offense to fit the player part. In other words, I think Hurts would be better off elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I might have overlooked that mostly cause I just wasn't thinking we even had a chance at him. :facepalm:

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Gonna try and tune in. Couple interesting guys including Mack’s brother. Gotta love how JJs brother turned out....:smiley1:

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No problem pal. Get me a good scouting report. Won’t be able to tune in....

• Like Like x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I will try the Whiskey is going down pretty good right now.....lol!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Caught some of the Hawaii bowl game last night. Their QB Cole McDonald is intriguing. Junior 6'4" 220 4135yds, 33TDs, 14 INTs. 63.8 completion %. No idea if he is coming out, but he will probably draw some mid to late round consideration.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Watched most of the same game liked TE Bushman from BYU. He wasn't noting special but a guy I added to my TE list(if that is ok with sdot). He had on real nice one handed catch but not much after the catch. He was easy to bring down but all that can change. IMO worth a look.