1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Modern Steel Curtain?!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Yes. Despite Different Era's, They Are Generating As Much Havoc.

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. No. This Defense Is Great but The Steel Curtain Was Legendary.

35 vote(s)
    92.1%
  1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    As always impossible to compare two different era's. The rules have changed a lot over the years to favor the O.

Still, it's an amazing job what we have accomplished this season and it's mainly because of the D.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The current group has what 2 players who went to the Pro Bowl?

If memory serves me, the 76 defense had 11 players who made at least 1 Pro Bowl in their career.

There is no comparison.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Wasn't it Pastorini that through the ball away when Lambert was 10 yards from him coming at full speed. That defense got into a lot of players heads. Good times.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a good point. It was a hell of a lot easier to play defense in the NFL in 1974 than it is now, so a direct comparison of statistics is not fair to the current team.

That said, this defense isn't on a level with those teams and it still has a lot to prove. I don't think it even stacks up with the 2009 group yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    This D isn't feared (not yet anyway),they don't intimidate anyone .To be honest they really haven't faced anyone know for ,well, offense .. I don't even put them next to the '95 D with Lloyd,Greene,Kirkland,Brown and Lake.So the 09 D alone was better and not even close to the great 70's D's ..

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I might include TJ if he continues to play like he has and doesn't get his brothers injury bug.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    '74 Steelers had 3 different starting QBs (Bradshaw/Gilliam/Hanratty)
    '74 Steelers drafted an impact MLB/ILB (Lambert)
    '74 Steelers added an impact safety (Shell)

since the 1970 merger, only one team has led the league both in sacks and in takeaways. The '74 Steelers.

and currently, the Steelers are leading the league both in sacks and in takeaways.

as a result, this season should end with a 16-6 Steelers victory over the Vikings in the Super Bowl. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel Hog.

Awww, let the person have their fun. Let's live for the moment and be happy at the level that the current "D" is performing at. It is in big part because of them that we are as I say "Significant" right now.

You and I both know, and this is no knock on anyone, that those Steeler "D's from the 70's have no competition from any of our other Steeler generation "Ds" or from any other team for that matter. The "D" of the 70s Steelers are in an elite class all by themselves. You know it, I know It, and so do many others. Even the Steeler haters of the world acknowledge this as much as it pains them (smile).

And then there are "D" players from the 70's that I feel, as do others, are intentionally being left out of the HOF because it would be that many more Steelers to be "Enshrined" into Canton. Once again, the voters cannot put their personal biases to the side and do the right thing to induct these guys. Such as L.C. Greenwood and Donnie "Torpedo" Shell.

Remember that hit the Torpedo put on Earl Campbell that broke his ribs? Oh my goodness. If that play happened today it would be raining penalty flags. I put links to that hit as well as some of L.C. Greenwood's biggest hits as well. Maximize your screen when you get there to fully enjoy the videos. Oh yeah, don't forget the popcorn (smile).

Take care my friend.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Torpedo Video

https://twitter.com/Ol_TimeFootball/status/1140169954135642112

L.C. Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqRRbpKFYXg

Hey blackandgoldpatrol.

Yes my friend, it was a thing of beauty. I have yet to see any form of dominance like that 40+ years later. That "D" was a "Wrecking Machine". Once again, you can find highlights out there on that 1976 performance. I remember that they started out 1-4. Mostly everyone wrote them off. Then, they just went "Berserk". I could go on all day about them. It was a thing of beauty!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If this Steelers edition gets to the playoffs and wins two games because of the defense, I will say they are comparable to the other great defenses that were not from the 1970s.

10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Tu parles français. no? Oui. Oui. Vous parlez français. C'est merveilleux! Malheureusement, aucun d'entre nous ne parle français. L'anglais serait mieux. Je vous remercie.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They faced the Ravens, the top scoring offense in the league.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    N’ at

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    they allowed 17 points fast then buckled down and allowed what shouldve been only 6 and kept jackson to his lowest rating 54.

14. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    It's waaaaay too early to make those comparisons.

All we see is one awesome yet random stat that compares us to the '74 team. Take it for what it is.

Now if they drag the offense as is to the Superbowl ala 2000 Ravens going through mahomes Jackson the cheats and Brees? I'm totally on board and it's potentially the start of the most unexpected dynasty in sports history

15. fansincethesixties

fansincethesixties Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    My thoughts as well...sure, Steelers defense is vastly improved over the past five seasons, but to even CONSIDER it to be rated with an all time great defense based on a half season’s body of work isn’t even worth discussing. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think any defenses intimidate or are feared these days. They've all been neutered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Glory Days. It was a post that I started and did not finish. Do you speak French. Cool if you do! I had to use an online translator tool to see what you wrote (funeeee!).

Below is the link to the originally intended post. Take care my friend.

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/the-modern-steel-curtain.23568/page-2#post-742494

18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Has there ever been a defense that shut down everyone? Like multiple shutouts and nobody over 20 points?

19. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    If this team with to the SB it would be the most amazing team to ever make it there hands down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I was just poking a little fun at ya. Couldn't resist. I assumed your post got truncated somehow. But the devil got the better of me. ;)

21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm not putting the cart before the horse here, but I will use my fan privilege and just imagine for a moment...

This team is the team that SHOULDN'T be winning 8+ games this year. Even before the season started, the loss of the two B's and influx of talent around our division was enough to have many dropping the potential of this year's group to around .500 ball. And that was before any injuries.

In previous years, we were division favorites at the very least. And those teams severely underwhelmed.

So with a team currently doing the improbable, what is there to say that they can't do the near impossible?

I might put a c-note down on the Steelers winning the SB. Right now, Vegas has them 80:1. That will go up dramatically if we handle business Sunday night.

So where would that victory rank in improbable turnarounds in sports history? And just allow yourself to imagine Duck as SB MVP. Come on, you can't tell me you didn't smile at the thought of that.

If they win it all, and I actually placed that bet, I'll bring my $7900 winnings to Pittsburgh and feed and booze up any of you who show up.

• Like Like x 1
  22. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Sounds like you should change your avatar to Linda Blair from "The Exorcist". :puking 3:

23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Find me a hot pic of her in black and gold and it's a deal. Maybe with her in her prime, wearing only a Terrible Towel. Shwing!!!

24. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Now that AC has sports betting I bet on all 3 Pittsburgh sport teams winning it all. Betting on the Pirates is just out of respect for what they meant to me as a kid growing up in the Burgh, it's like throwing my money in the garbage. I only put 20 on them but the Steelers and Penguins I put 50.

I did put a hundred on the over/under for wins by the Pirates and won the under very easy this season.

• Like Like x 1
  25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I still laugh at this thread, not to poke fun at AQL but this defense doesn’t sniff the 70s. Not that it’s not good enough just can’t play that physical anymore. To me they are the 2015 broncos or maybe 2018 bears defense. 2015 broncos had a great result and Boswell is a better kicker than the turd for the bears last year