1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nice 538 write-up on just how unusual it is to be winning the way the Steelers are.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NickSteel, Dec 10, 2019.

1. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Throw in a rechargeable razor while your at it!!!:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm poor... I have a Nautilus.

3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    No Ben Santa cannot take the fat away for your present, but he can give you the tools to take that fat off.

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Last year at this time the Steelers were 7-5-1 with Ben and Brown. I like this season better because they are playing above expectations and not the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I don't think there were any comparisons made. His "look" has nothing to do with anyone else. But in comparison, I was 6'2, 350 about 6 months ago. I'm down to just a hair over 300 now. And trust me, he looks bigger than me. And homeless-er.

In all fairness, however, I doubt I could execute an effective qb sneak. So... :shrug:

6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Obviously, but last year we...well there was AB and he...but JuJu was...uhm, Ben didn't...okay, but Tomlin...hell, I don't have any excuses...this team is better.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    I don’t know bout Ben being depressed. If I was him I would be appreciating the progress of the team, especially the receivers, and knowing that adding Ben to a very good defensive team with good receivers is a strong mix. Ben knows the best the Steelers can do this year is win 1 playoff game, at the absolute best. But he also knows that he will be returning to a playoff contender with out which will be even better with him next year.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    At 6’ 2” 300+ I doubt you can successfully pull off any kind of sneaking. That said, assuming it was intended good job on slimming down. It’s got to feel good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I can sneak into the kitchen late at night with the best of them.

But yeah, at 350, the health problems were mounting and my family had an intervention. At 300, I'm practically a new man. But, I've got 40 more to go. Thing is, I'm not obese. No one believed I was 350. No one believes I'm 300. But yeah, 260 is the goal. It's hard to imagine me being the same weight as some of our biggest boys. Ben being 250? He's a pipsqueak.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel machine.

Do not sell them short my friend. I get that they have probably exceeded yours, as well as others expectations, and that to make the playoffs would be icing on the cake. For me, I want the Super Bowl Championship. Hey only one team gets to have it each year. So, why not us? Get all of our "O" weapons back. Have Duck play semi-conservative, smart football, we know what the "D" is capable of. Hey, just saying. I think it really is going to come down to Duck's composure. Oh yeah, and SMART CREATIVE COACHING! (smile).

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel Hog.

Yes, yes that is another way to look at it. Ben has accomplished a lot in his career and he may be satisfied with what accolades those are. He definitely will be well rested. It may do him some good. However, statistically he has been putting in some of his best data over the past few years. Maybe "Depressed" is not the best choice of words. I just think that he still has a competitive edge and wants to show it.

With the new the players on the Offense, I am thinking that he is anxious to get out there and work with them. He did say he wanted to retire with more rings than Terry Bradshaw. Right? Then if he was sincere about that statement, then he has some more work to do (smile). I do not think that at age 38 he cannot still produced. And like you somewhat indicated, (not putting words in your mouth) he may come back feeling like a new man. One with something to prove at that. Just saying.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelersrule6.

I just looked up some of Snell's college stats. Pretty impressive (see below). Maybe we found a new college (Kentucky) to start pooling from. I am not saying this is what happened but it seems that some NFL teams like to target certain universities when they draft. Obviously, two players does not make a pattern but Bud Dupree is also from Kentucky as you know.

We seem to like Big Ten Conference players quite a bit from what I have noticed over the years and have had a good deal of success with them: Santonio Holmes (one who just blew it in the 'Burgh), Le'veon Bell (and another who blew it here), Devin Bush, Antwaan Randle El, and I am sure there are others.

Back to RBs, Personally, I like Whyte (Speed) as a good complimentary back to Snell as well as Samuels (Catching Abilities). What I like overall about our RBs is that each has certain skill sets that can be tapped into depending on the situation. Obviously, there is Connor. However, he is just too undependable to be counted on consistently due to his history of injury problems that he cannot seem to shake.

Take care and have a great day!

Benny Snell College Partial Bio

Started 27 of 39 games at Kentucky…broke or tied 14 school records, including career rushing yards (3,873), total touchdowns (48), rushing touchdowns (48) and 100-yard games (19).

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    No matter how much the NFL evolves, games will always be won up front, and defense will always win championships...... One need only to go back to the last Superbowl for any type of reference

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I was 360 a few years ago & had been that big for about 10 years. Diabetes took hold & I had to make a change. Down to 240 (high school weight) now & I hope I don't go much lower. You'll make it to 260 brother, stay on that exercise bike. No way Ben is 250 right now, looks about 280.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Cam played at OSU. For a Michigan alum like me it’s painful rooting so hard for such a good player and seemingly good person (we met once in Atlanta and he took a photo with my son).

19. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Nothing about how the Steelers are winning makes any sense to me in the modern NFL. All we hear is about high flying offenses, and highlights of games like the Saints v Niners (which was admittedly fun to watch).

And yet we have a team with little to no passing game and running game that keeps winning with defense and a special teams (Boswell has been great). Every week I keep waiting for this to implode and every week it hasn’t. Truly amazing how much has been done with so little talent on offense.

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Joshi.

You stated "Cam".

Is there a typo there or am I missing something. Sorry about that. Not sure who "Cam" is. Take care.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'll be honest, this year I just watch the games to watch and cheer on my boys and not so much for analyzing. So with that in mind, I still believe we are running a very limited offense given the circumstances. I really don't think we truly know what the potential of this offense is yet. Having said that, I guess it is fair for people to feel like we aren't much of an offense. Unrealistic, but I would love to see how the offense performs with an open playbook. Pipe dreams!

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    TJ Watt from wisconsin. :cool:

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I lowered my expectations quite a bit when Ben went down & watching our offense struggle our first few games. (still struggles) I have gotten more excited this year watching this defense gel & carry the team than I have since we went 13-3. I get more worked up with this defense than I was with the top offense.
    Big Ben might have another shot at winning his first SB MVP. My pipe dream was to see him win 4 & he has had a good run at it.

:steelflag:

Steelers living up to their legend, let's go get #7.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Cam Heyward

25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Joshi.

Got it now. Thank you.