1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck’s Development

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheWay, Dec 9, 2019.

1. TheWay

TheWay Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Is there anyone here who has studied Duck's game's so far? I don't have access to the "All 22" camera and I'm very curious to know a couple of things; Is he going through his progressions? How is he at hitting his receivers on timing routes?

Mason tended to stare down his intended receiver and always waited until the receivers broke and were open (which is often too late in the NFL). From what I can tell duck is doing a better job in this regard which is often the difference between a starting and backup quarter back.

I also agree that duck's mobility is part of the difference between him and Mason. Now I want to see him throw more on the move, if he's no longer a passing threat as soon as he is flushed out of the pocket teams will collapse on him immediately once they watch the tape on him

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This team is going nowhere with an offense that can only NOT throw a pick.

They need to be able to take shots down field and connect more than a pass interference call.

I like Duck, but we need to see more of the mid range ball. I feel he's going great individually, but talking playoffs he needs to be playing the best he ever has.

3. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Duck has done everything he's been asked to do so far - which is find a way to win games. He's 3/3 in that department as a starting QB, and has held is own in reserve duty against the Ravens and Bengals. AND, he's done it with a supporting cast containing such names as Trey Edmunds, Kerrith Whyte, Deon Cain, and Johnny Holton...not exactly proven or household names at the skill positions.
    He has made key throws at crucial spots in games to extend drives, and has shown good instincts in scrambling for good chunks of yardage at the right time. While his arm strength is still a bit suspect to me, it hasn't really been a limitation thus far. I saw Chad Pennington's name in this thread...he carved out a decent career with a noodle arm and did so with increased anticipation on his throws. If he can be an above average quarterback in this league, there is no reason why Duck cannot.
    For me, we will find out plenty these next three weeks playing Baltimore and Buffalo's Defense. If the Steelers are down double digits in the fourth quarter and the defense knows he needs to throw, can he put he team on his back and go win the game against a good defense? Can he score a TD when they need a TD and not settle for FGs? A playoff run will most likely require him to do just that. Don't get me wrong, that's a tall order for any quarterback playing a good defense. Ben showed us that ability his rookie year...that's when we all knew that he had "it." The 4th quarter drive against Jacksonville in '04 comes to mind.
    With each week he seems to be getting better, more comfortable. If he gets some more help in the running game and defense doesn't slip, i expect the trend to continue upwards for him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't think we should complain given that a UDFA Rookie is QB for the Steelers and he is undefeated after 3 starts. And Steelers can make the playoffs. Just sayin'

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If it's in NE, Ben will develop diabetes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Duck can spin it, and will need refinement
    just as MR will.

7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Duck is the all-time leading passer in FCS history breaking Steve McNair's record. FCS football is a step above Division 2 but a step below major college football. The Ivy league teams are in FCS and football programs like Villanova and Delaware.

8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Here are the rookie QBR ratings this season so far, won/loss record and signing bonus.
    QBR W-L Signing Bonus
    Drew Lock 80.2 2-0 3.9 million
    Kyler Murray 55.6 3-9-1 23.5 million
    Devlin Hodges 53.5 3-0 1 thousand
    Daniel Jones 51.3 2-8 16.7 million
    Gardner Minshew 42.5 4-5 191 thousand
    David Blough 39.5 0-2 20 thousand
    Ryan Finley 23.0 0-3 790 thousand
    Dwayne Haskins 15.7 2-3 8.5 million

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Hanratty#5.

Thanks for the information. I knew he was very successful at the collegiate level, which to me, does count for something regardless of the competition. You do not accomplish what Duck did without having some degree of talent.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Think of it this way, replace Duck with Murray, Lock, Peyton Manning, Lamar Jackson, Tom Brady, etc. at Samford (in their prime). Do any of them throw for considerably more yards than he did? Doubtful. There's only so many pass attempts available during your collegiate career. Duck had to be able to put the ball where FCS receivers could catch it. He did that as well as anyone ever has.

I said in another thread that even though he wasn't playing against D-1 talent, he still had to make the throws. And aren't D-1 receivers supposed to be better than FCS or D-2 receivers? If you throw a ball close to a D-1 receiver, he is expected to make a play on it. If FCS or D-2 receivers drop a catchable ball, people can say that's why they aren't D-1. Point is, Duck made the most of his time in college. He balled. And there is no significant drop off now that he's playing on Sundays.

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I mean...Steve McNair. Plus he's got Moxie! Maybe some MOTSMOTS as well!

I don't care where you played; You step into the game midway against the Ravens as a rookie with no starts and start making protection calls and audibles...

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    His ceiling is anyone's guess but he's doing his job and that's all that matters. His pass to DJ in the EZ was a beauty and not an easy throw to make... He's growing each week and it's cool to watch.

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Putting football aside for a moment, something serious has developed that could affect Duck's future:

AP Release.

A Maine man crafted a singles ad for his female duck -- after a hungry bobcat ate its fellow ducks two weeks ago -- in an attempt to find her a match and cure her broken heart.

The duckling, named Yellow Duck, (Black 'n Yellow (Gold) sounds familiar) doesn't vibe with Chris Morris' chickens like she used to, the Bangor Daily News reported, leaving him no option but to seek other ways to find her a companion.

So the 31-year-old special education teacher made a singles ad and hung it on a community bulletin board at the Blue Hill Co-op. (Oh no, not more bulletin board material!)

“Duck seeking duck,” reads the ad, which is accompanied by a drawing of a yellow duck and Morris' email address. “Lonesome runner duck seeks companion. Partner recently deceased. Serious replies only.”

[​IMG]

An advertisement for a single duck seeking a partner is seen on a bulletin board at the Blue Hill Co-op, Thursday in Blue Hill, Maine. The duck's owner, Chris Morris, is using the dating ad to try to find a match for one of his ducks who lost its mate to a hungry bobcat a couple of weeks ago at Morris' yard in Blue Hill. (Jennifer Coolidge via AP)

“We wanted to post about this to try to find a duck, and that just seemed like the best fit,” Morris said.

It may have worked. Farm owner Sadie Greene spotted the unusual posting and replied that she may have a duck in mind. (Hodges??????)

The pair have arranged a meeting for the ducks on Sunday. (Hopefully well before kickoff!)

“We have a slew of male ducks, so [Morris] will be able to take his pick,” Greene, 32, told the newspaper. “Ducks are one of the few species that mate for life, so when they lose their partners, they tend to mourn, but they can replace their partners pretty quickly, so it will be interesting to see what happens.” (It better be quick, kickoff is at 8:20 EST!)

Morris said they will create a mood to set the ducks on a date.

“I think we have to provide a private, romantic space for them, something they can share," he said. (Will they have to clear out the locker room for a few hours?)Yellow Duck’s favorite food is a slug (so looks like there will be a use for Suggs and Burflict after all!) , so maybe we can set up a nice little plate for them.”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey The Glory Days.

I fully agree 100% with you. Regardless of the competition, Duck had to make the throws. As you stated so accurately: "Duck had to be able to put the ball where FCS receivers could catch it". That is a skill. You either have the ability/skill-set to do this or not; especially with consistency. I am going to have to look at some of his college film. Although for me , if you say it is valid then that is good enough for me. I still will look at the video if there is some out there for entertainment purposes (smile). Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually, if you were to put it another way. He had to throw a better ball for them to catch. That's probably why the guys are catching the ball off his hand better than Mason.

• Agree Agree x 1