1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Heinz Field West (again)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Go 'lers, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I'm sorry to wax philosophic on this but I'm sure most couldn't help but notice just how much Steeler Nation showed up and took over the Cards stadium.

After all the dysfunction of the past few seasons and the roster depleted by injury this year it makes me proud to see that this fan base has not has their enthusiasm diminished one single iota!

Best fans in the lands! #BurghProud

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It was a crazy and lively Steeler presence in 2011 when I saw them in AZ but this was a downright dominant showing visually and volume-wise. It was hysterical hearing DE-FENSE, DE-FENSE when the Cards had the ball. I felt bad mostly for Larry Fitzgerald knowing how far this team has fallen in such a tough Division and hearing the loud fan base that probably was cheering him on during his days at Pitt.

3. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I'm viewing all the Steeler fans during the game and thinking, I'm just seeing the ones twirling their towels, you know more were there than meets the eye. Amazing for sure.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is amazing to me that they are everywhere,
    When things went south around here in the seventies
    the Steelers fans relocated just about everywhere.YOY

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    There's also a whole bunch of us who've never been to Pittsburgh (well, once) but started following the team during the dynasty years!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sircruz

Sircruz New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Yup! I would be in this crowd!....lol

I was six years old when Franco was pounding the rock! I wore his number all the way through high school. Love this team! I bleed Black and Gold!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I started out as a Raider fan (cool helmets) but switched when I watched them get mauled by the Steel Curtain. Been on the bandwagon since 1975.

8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Front-runner :biggrin:

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  10. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Imagine how great it must feel and sound as a player when you at an “away” game and the crowd is in your favor, whether in LA or Zona. Not many athletes will ever have that experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It amazes me people still get it wrong to this day. It's not relocation or traveling. It's because of the TV deals in the 70-80's. It wasn't regionally based but who was good. That just so happened to be the Steelers and Cowboys that's why they have so many fans. I couldn't say bandwagon because Steelers haven't won anything in a decade and still take over stadiums like this. Patriots have won 3 Super Bowls in that time and don't do this for away games. These people feel a connection with the city. Usually take on the other teams as well. It's like collegiate fandom. College football fans are crazy and travel because of the memories of the good times or whatever. Steelers got that type of connection without 4 years of tuition. Never see Cowboys fans talking about how great Dallas is. They just like the Cowboys.

As far as this crowd. I think this might have been the biggest takeover to date and slightly disappointed. We could of had a real advantage and made some real noise. We need to do what they do in soccer and have a group travel for every away game and lead the fans in chants.

12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    The migration west covers mainly So Cal, AZ and Nevada. I have tons of relatives and family friends living in these 3 areas (all former residents of the Burgh) who left for numerous reasons, climate being a biggie (my Dad's #1 reason) and then employment and career opportunities across the full spectrum (not everyone leaving Pittsburgh worked at the mills) so the emigration spanned many many decades. As far as fans showing up at road games and taking over stadiums, give it a rest already about trying to orchestrate their behavior, they did their part and showed up and were rowdy and waving the sea of golden towels and believe me the Steeler players knew it and appreciated their attendance. I attended a Niner/Steeler game at the Stick back in the late 90's in a pouring rain where Kordell was just starting out and beat the Niners. Towards the end of the game the only fans still there in the miserable cold rainy weather were Steeler fans - maybe 1000 and we all gathered at the tunnel where the team was heading off the field and the entire team just stopped and stood there in the rain honoring their fans. That was priceless and remarkable. :steelflag:

• Like Like x 2
  13. NJSteelerFan

NJSteelerFan Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Add me to the crowd as well. Remember wearing my #12 jersey to a preseason Steelers Eagles game at the Vet. I was too young to be abused too much by the Eagles fans. Went to a Steelers Jets game several years back and it was 50/50 Steelers fans there. Unfortunately we lost even though we were big favorites :facepalm: (Tomlin playing down yo the competition again ;)).