1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupree - has he broken through or is it a mirage?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Just to engage in total hypotheticals, but say dreams come true and we end up in the play-offs, facing NE...

I think BB's strategy would be obvious. Go 4-wide and use a no-huddle offense. Quick passes to nullify the rush and then deeper as the players get tired. Much like what the Cards did on their TD drives, but it's also effectively what he did against us in the AFCCG last time. The difference is that this year the Steelers are much better at generating pressure with 3 players, and Brady's receivers aren't as good - and they would be expecting that kind of move from BB.

Total hypothetical, counting chickens, etc., mind!

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I looked it up & Woodley signed his mega contract then hurt his hamstring. Came back with some production, then the year before he was cut he went on IR with a calf injury. Steelers wanted him to drop in coverage sometimes & he was too big for that & not on board.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Injury first. People kill him for his play falling off after signing his big extension, but he actually logged his best half season after signing the extension, but then his hamstring failed, and we all know what happened after that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    My hypothetical that would get us far would be after the first round is over it`s us at Baltimore and KC takes out NE.

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lets see what Alvin does on another team without a high motor beast All Pro on the other side. Only took 4 years to see improvement. Sorry just ain't buying the hype.

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think you are probably correct. With our next years first already on the team, and no 3rd (unless we get the compensatory pick), our draft next year is not likely to get a splash player on O or D. Some one might slide, but I believe you go core/depth with OL and Dline as priorities. Our WR are showing growth and flashes, I do not thing Conner is the answer long term, Snell intrigues me, but yes we need a stud eventually. TE is also lacking if they ever decide to use one). We really have no clue until we see what ben has left until his return. With the money already shelled out there really is no other option..so we suck it up, hope..and build this D for the long haul.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Maybe they will have enough money to sign Dupree or Hargrave :thumbs_up:.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    He clearly has broken through. Whether he will continue to play like this in future years I don't know but his play this year has been incredible.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers finally have the defense playing lights out and Bud is a big part of that. I just can’t see them not making a good effort to bring him back.

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    totally agree. We may not have the capital to pull it off, but we have a chance if we can get close to the highest bidder. Playing with TJ Watt on the other side definitely makes life easier lol

In all seriousness I do hope we keep him. I'd be all for going the "load up the defense and roll with a game manager" plan in the post Ben years. That guy may be Duck, it may not be... Hell, we could even draft a QB after Ben is gone and hope we get it right (buying us a good 5 years of having a great defense together). Idk. I just love watching this defense and how it reminds me of some of my favorite days as a Steeler fan. I think you can still win in this league with a killer defense and an offense that does just enough and doesn't turn it over.