1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitzpatrick Trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TRUCK, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    It's difficult for me to argue that Fitzy hasn't made an impact on our defense. Now that everyone can handle their own job, each player can do their own job.

I don't know if Fitz was a steal or not but probably since the Steelers I believe saved money with his signing bonus or something to that affect. I love that the gamble was not there for a number one selection. The Steelers seen a number one selection actually play in the NFL before drafting/signing him. As for this season middle of the road draft selection we will probably have gotten at number one, Fitz was an excellent choice.
    Is it Nelson that plays opposite of Haden ? I never hear of the other corner being burned so, this was another excellent addition to the team that has helped our defense. This signing was probably another steal.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Nelson was a home run signing. Causing teams to throw at Haden.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. Nelson has been a great addition and Fitzpatrick helped pull all the pieces together. As Spencer mentioned, it was also a good deal for the Steelers financially.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    He hasn't been making splash plays but he might be doing his job.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He isn't. He has taken bad penalties and he has been beaten on throws because he can't play the ball. The touchdown pass he whiffed on against the Cardinals was just the latest example. He took a bad angle on the ball, apparently hoping he could intercept it on the run and get a big return, instead of making sure he at least knocked it away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    You're still mad about Steelers picking Edmunds over Darius Leonard.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Lol

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Thank you for that enlightening response. Your contribution to this discussion is invaluable.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I am displeased that they passed on superior player to draft a third-round value in the first round. I am also displeased that he continues to hurt the defense with his inability to make a play on the ball far too often.

10. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I could have/ should have said something worse....Was being kind...No green font

11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Doubtful Haden gets these recent Int's without Nelson doing what he done on the other side. Name hardly ever gets called, last year Artie was getting called how many times a game (for the wrong reasons)?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Nelson mink Hilton and Haden very strong secondary

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Edmunds is saving it for the playoffs. Will he out play his brother Sunday night?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    It is obvious that people are on one side of the fence or the other concerning Edmunds. Like Bud, I think it is just taking Edmunds longer to get to where he needs to be. I know that doesn't satisfy some, but go back and re-read threads concerning Bud over the years and compare to what people are saying now. Is it worth the wait, for me yes. In my opinion, Edmunds and Bud were so physically gifted they were able to get by on that alone until they reached the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Biggest trade since Farrier. It was that huge.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Kind isn't the word I would use, but I'll be diplomatic and keep the more accurate descriptions to myself. Clearly you couldn't dispute the point with something of value. My post about Edmunds was spot on. His mistakes playing the ball are hurting the defense. Even when Fitzpatrick is having a quiet day in terms of splash plays, we aren't seeing the huge mistakes from him the way we are from Edmunds.

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Wasn't Farrior a FA move?

I'd say this was the best trade since Bettis.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, Farrior was a free agent signing.

Is the Fitzpatrick trade better than trading up in the first round to get Polamalu in 2003?

In 1996, they got Bettis and a third-round pick in that draft for their second-rounder in '96 and a fourth-rounder in '97.

In 2003, they gave up their first-round pick, No. 27 overall, and their selections in the third and sixth rounds to move up to No. 16 overall and take Polamalu.

The Bettis deal was the best in team history. They didn't really give up much to get a Hall of Fame running back.

I'm not sure which is second. The trade for Fitzpatrick is definitely the best since they traded up to take Polamalu, maybe even better than that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    To early to call...Minkah has been amazing ( albeit ) a very small sample size...

Bettis trade was AMAZING...Super Bowl Champ, HOF'er, an iconic Steeler " THE BUS " !

Troy: Just the first name says it all...Man , So fun to watch...An absolute game changer...

If Minkah comes close to those 2... We're in great shape!

20. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    91532051-B9BA-4BE8-9B4C-40C5B02D674F.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :facepalm:

As a avid believer in Terrell Edmunds, this depresses me the most;

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/f...tween-minkah-fitzpatrick-and-terrell-edmunds/

What is even more sad is that it is the fundemental aspect that is hurting Terrell right now. The athletic ability and athletic talent alone is worth a Top 20 NFL Draft Grade. However, players are not soley graded on that. Players are graded on the complete assessment paramount to their position.

Terrell's lack of understanding the fundamentals and basics is why so many of Steelers fans believed he should have been selected later.

Personally, I do believe he will get better in time. My issue is not if he can get better. It will be a matter of how soon?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You get my drift!

23. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Not to hijack this beautiful Minkah thread, but who starts at SS next year? Davis or Edmunds?

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Edmunds

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Apologies if this was already posted, but it's a great film breakdown on Minkah from someone who I follow alot in draft preparation.

Enjoy!

• Winner Winner x 1