1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Whyte and Cain...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 26, 2019.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Tomlin seems to like both of these guys and talked about them a lot in his press conference. Look for both of them to be more apart of the offense in the coming weeks. I’ll say this Id rather see both of these guys getting more reps at RB and WR over guys like Edmunds, Holton or Jones.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Cain should absolutely get Holton's offensive snaps. No way in hell Holton makes that catch.

Anyway, I think what these guys did in the last game is why the Steelers in these situations don't go for vet guys like Pryor who have been sitting at home all year but instead go for guys who have been on rosters or practice squads. Those guys are ready immediately for game action. It would take awhile to get a guy ho has been home all year into actual game shape even if he has been working out diligently.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Edmunds and Holton have been replaced in my eyes.Dont know why Whyte never saw the ball the rest of the game.Some guys just need opportunity. I think them two guys are an immediate upgrade over what Holton and edmunds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I was very curious why they cut Brooks for Whyte now I guess I know why. Both of these guys imo have earned the chance to get a little more playing time. Holton, Jones and Edmunds can all go bye bye as far as I am concerned. :thumbs_up:

5. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Once again these two made some big contributions with Whyte having some nice kickoff returns creating fieid position and Cain drawing a big pass interference penalty in the end zone on 3rd down early in the 3rd quarter that lead to the Snell TD and the Steelers going ahead and never letting go of the lead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like them both and hope we start handing out some contract extensions. Whyte, Cain and Duck. Lock them in.:cool:

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Whyte is our fastest back, Cain is big and strong. Like them both and both should be kept next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What is really interesting to me is that we find players via desperation and then they come in and play as well as those we drafted. Not all the time but a lot more than I would have thought. Like when you know we suck at drafting DB's and you have to go to another team to get their draft pick and he turns our D around. If these players are making things happen, we need to find a way to keep them around. I believe that some players don't develop fully until after the draft they were eligible for and then find a niche on a team and become all world. We've had some in Pittsburgh in the past and maybe we ran into a couple more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Cain also picked up a big first down when he just lowered his head and muscled through the defender. I really liked that play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    A lot of times it comes down to opportunity. There are a lot of talented players who don’t get a legitimate chance because it’s a numbers game. Teams are more likely to hang on to guys they invested in. Draft stock, financial reasons,time and money spent developing. You’re comfortable in what you know and other players get over looked. I’m sure the Colts weren’t happy losing Cain but they had other assets that they needed to protect. We found ourselves in a position that we had a roster spot available for a WR and they didn’t. I like Cain,he’s definitely a keeper.

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was thinking the same thing. How accurate is the draft process? Yesterday we saw an undrafted FCS QB with several other undrafted guys around him beat a Heisman trophy winning, #1 pick in the entire draft QB with some of the greatest skill position talent in the NFL at his disposal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I generally agree, but to be fair that talented Browns offense was going up against a defense with 8 1st rounders starting.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like Cain the limited that I've seen him. I also like Holton for his STs, he had two nice plays in coverage that I saw on the TV views. He's definitely taken over DHBs spot. As a WR he had some splash in the preseason but hasn't done much in the reg season.
    If Berry can get his sheet together, Holton definitely can help flip the field if there is a time we need it.

I haven't seen enough of Whyte or Edmunds to make a call, but I liked Whyte's burst on KR and some of his runs.

14. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    I hope they continue to get Whyte more involved in this offense from week to week. He has that quick burst ability when he touches the ball. He and Dion Cain have been tremendous so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey mac daddyo.

I have liked Whyte from the get go. At first, and still is mainly, for his speed. As you may know I was a track coach for many years. With speed you either have it or you do not. Yes, it can always be enhanced with the proper training but only to a degree. I read he ran a 10.5 for the 100 meter dash. That is "Blazing". Get him some holes and he could be off to the races. The O-Line has to produce seams for him to make this possible. So, if the complaints that our O-Line is primarily built for passing they better learn how to become more versatile, which I think they have shown a pulse for lately.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I suspect where we usually end up in the draft order has some bearing on this. We usually pick low enough that we are picking guys with "potential" as opposed to the "sure things" that are more often found in the top half of the draft. And yes, I know there is no "sure thing". Anyhow, this is just me speculating!

17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Iowasteeljim.

I get what you are saying about our historic draft order. However, as many DBs as we whiffed on, this is totally unacceptable. I cannot or would not even want to go through that laundry list here and now. Under Tomlin, it has been atrocious. One cannot tell me that all of the DBs drafted were that bad. No, no my conclusion is that scouting the secondary draft picks is the problem as well as coaching them up. The only one that panned out to any degree, and was gone pretty quickly, was Keenan Lewis. The sad part is that the secondary is supposedly Tomlin's forte....Just Saying.

My conclusion is just let other teams handle our secondary draft needs and work out deals with them like with Minkah. I do not know if I am serious or not as I just wrote that last sentence. I know like some people here, it has gone past the point of frustration. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You really believe that it was the outstanding play of the Pittsburgh Offense that won the game for us?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You do understand that the Steelers would have loved to of taken Fitzpatrick in the 2018 draft, but he went at #11 and we drafted at #28 that year. It is not like the Steelers missed on Fitzpatrick during the draft.

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Whyte, is a great change of pace back. You don’t clock a 4.36 40 and go unnoticed.
    Sounds like he was second fiddle to Devin Singletary at FAU. Which hurt his playing time but he’s look good for the Bills.

Cain played WR at Clemson, which you don’t get to play WR at and be a bad player seems like knee injuries happened with the colts, Steelers getting him at a healthy point.

good pick ups by the scouts and Colbert.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's what Tomlin said in one of his press conferences they like to sign younger players who have been practicing, over veterans like Pryor who haven't been on a roster this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If we can keep these guys, sign vannett, it's almost like an early draft. Drop switzer and holton which saves a little money. It adds some speed to spots we need it at. It helps since we don't have many picks. They are not rookies at draft time. They are hungry to show. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You sure can twist someone’s words around just to fit your own argument. Reminds me a lot of someone else here. :facepalm:

24. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I get that but what I was trying to say is that we have had defensive #1 picks that were very questionable and got someone else's that demonstrated he was worthy of being a #1 pick on another team..

25. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I put no faith in the draft and where someone falls in at. That is just me. I look at Tribiski? who Chi actually moved up like 1 or 2 spots and paid a huge price to do so and he just doesn't seem worth this status in the draft. There are some sure bets in the 1st round, of course, but I also have seen how many 1st round picks our defense had made and not sure if they are as good as players such as Hilton.