1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitzpatrick Trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TRUCK, Dec 9, 2019.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Every talking head from the major media outlets believe the Steelers got a steal in that trade. I know Stephen A. didn't like the deal but there is no doubt what he has done to shore up the defense. The splash plays aren't coming as fast now but that is because QBs are staying away from his side. Sean McVay told Jared Goff to be aware of where Fitzpatrick was on the filed after every snap, that is very telling. Amazing how the addition of one guy made the entire unit look good, Sean Davis has already told his agent to look for a job for him.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think that is a part people are missing, that Fitzpatrick serves as a deterrent on deep passes.

I still don't think he is the best or most important player on that defense, but he and Watt are easily the top two.

3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    sorry i was teasing both of you lol. @AskQuestionsLater @Formerscribe

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I figured. Given the occasionally-heated debates he and I have had on the subject, I can understand him not taking my post in the friendly way it was intended.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I can relate, this is me when Scribe walks into one of my posts...

[​IMG]

But like I told him, I'm working on that :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey shaner82.

Yes, I agree with your quote: "That's not really a good way to look at it". My friend and I agree that maybe teams are just staying away from him as they are now recognizing the "force" that he has become. That is a good thing. He does not have to have a pick or forced fumble every game to have an impact. in one way, his presence alone out there can be enough to change the outcome of a game.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

7. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Exactly !!! I mean have you seen Ben on the sidelines during games. He has put on substantial weight this offseason. Sorry, but for what he’s getting paid that’s inexcusable. Sure, maybe he can’t lift weights due to his surgery but surely he can take his lazy a** to a stationary bike or treadmill. I’ve always been one of Bens biggest supporters but his offseason habits tell me he just doesn’t care about being physically fit. All the greatest players, at any position always stay fit during their down time.

I realize this post is off the current subject but when I saw your post, I simply wanted to throw my 2 cents in as well.

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    No. Unlike the other 1st round DB he is progressing, albeit slowly. Finally tried to make a play on the ball but failed very badly.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Mean Joe did once but came to his senses.

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Minkah has made the defense believe in themselves. They are all stepping up their game, he is contagious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How’s that working out ;)

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If Big Ben get any Bigger ... We could put him on the oline and keep Duck as our qb ... lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok ... I was against the trade in the beginning. But, Fitz has definitely made a difference on the defense. My only concern, is that we have started to win. Yes, we would've given up a high first rd draft pick. But, we would've picked high in rounds 2-7 as well

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Sounds like a Nick Foles deal by the Iggles. SB MVP, not good enough, get rid of him. Now they have Wentz, who isn't all that bad, but they aren't clicking like when NF was on the field for them.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Eagles have been banged up all season in their receiving core.

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So have we .... lol

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Also, when he hasn't been hurt, Foles hasn't played well this season. Wasn't he just benched?

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah I know was trolling lol but yeah slope improvement is better than none

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Uh, Foles did not come back as the starter. In fact in SB history I believe a couple of winning Qb's did not come back as starters (though that was a long long time ago). Duck has remained poised and has done what has been asked of him, but has really not done anything special either. That said, him remaining poised is special enough for the moment. Have seen this many times, a young guy comes in, does well and people want him to be the 2nd coming of ???? (whoever is hot at the time). Duck is a great story, but people need to get a reality check. I hope he continues to improve and grow..but the same fickle fans who want to trade Ben and Duck King, will be throwing him into the 3 Rivers when he shows his rookie self.

20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think he saw haden do that last week and tried to duplicate it, lol. I think the all time great on making plays like that was Woodson, when it worked it was a pick 6 he made look easy..when it did not it might go the other way for 6..but he man had such confidence just to try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey kfender69.

Yes, yes! I agree 100% with you. He does not have to have a pick or forced fumble every game to be making a difference out there. His presence alone can/is doing that as you stated. The other teams "Os" have to account for him. Along with some other new pieces/differences such as Nelson (who I do not feel gets enough credit), dare I say the "New and Improved Bud Dupree", the managing of the Tuitt loss, and some other intangibles.

I am though waiting for Edmunds to start living up to his draft status and belief from management. He has yet to earn it IMO. We need him now and do not have the luxury to wait four years like we did with Bud. We need him to step it up now and get onboard of the "New and Improved D".

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    They squeeked by the Giants with 2 receivers and one of them went down. The Eagle offense is worst than ours. They looked horrible most of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    We traded for a safety that other teams now have to account for, and we are still debating whether it was a good trade or not? The mere presence of one player has helped allow the rest of the defense to be more successful at their own positions, and a couple of you don't believe it has made that much difference (I will add I think Nelson also has played a significant part in our success). What does it take to please some people? A new rope to hang yourselves with?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Wasn't one of Wentz's better games...lol

25. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'll call him a bust and I'll gladly eat crow with a smile on my face if I'm proven wrong. He can't play the ball, he literally has no instinct as to how to play the ball and you can't coach that up. A DB that can't play the ball, we had that for cheap with Marcus Allen, Edmunds is more athletic but if he can't cover just a little bit he is useless in his position. In his position he isn't being asked to be a shutdown CB, he has to be able to diagnose plays and understand what the offense wants to do and where he needs to be.

If you watch the Cardinals game there was a play in which Murray was running up the middle and Edmunds was there but then veered off to the right. The play was whistled dead but it looks as if Edmunds didn't realize Murry had the ball passed the LOS, how doesn't he see that? It is because he isn't looking, his eyes are all over the place as he doesn't know where to go and it explains why he is out of position so much. Yeah, he is a bust and I'm calling it now and I'll be surprised if he gets any better at defending passes.

I want to wrong so bad it isn't funny but it hurts watching him knowing they got him in the 1st round. Sean Davis isn't much better and he was a second round pick, again he is basically a carbon copy, no field awareness or instinct and you can't be a good safety without those two things. I'll hope I get to eat a massive plate of crow, a solid safety along with Fitzpatrick and the defense becomes ultra scary but make no mistake, Edmunds is the weak link and I doubt it gets much better other than the occasional tackle for loss or the "hands up" defended pass that isn't called for PI.