1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Le’Veon: I’m gonna show people Pittsburgh let something special go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Jets RB Le'Veon Bell ill, won't play vs. Dolphins

By Rich Cimini

The New York Jets' disappointing season took another bad turn Saturday, as they ruled out running back Le'Veon Bell for Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins.

Bell became ill this week, the team said, and he didn't practice Thursday and Friday, when he was listed as questionable. Coach Adam Gase didn't give any specifics as to the nature of the illness.

"He's sick, probably the same thing that is going around a lot of these other teams," Gase said. "[The] biggest thing was getting him checked out and then get him out of the building so nobody else gets sick."

The Jets will lean on backups Bilal Powell and Ty Montgomery, with Powell to get most of the carries. They also have Josh Adams on the roster.

This will be Bell's first missed game with the Jets. He had been durable, if not productive. Statistically, this has been the worst season of his career, as he's rushed for only 589 yards, three touchdowns and a career-low 3.2 average.

Last week was particularly frustrating for Bell, who had only 10 carries in a 22-6 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Bell signed a four-year, $52.5 million contract in free agency. He drew interest at the trading deadline, and there's a chance the Jets could move him in the offseason.

https://abc7ny.com/sports/jets-rb-le...phins/5739264/

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bell wishes he was a Steelers RB.

Like Joey Porter said to opposing players....when he was OLB...."you wish you was me"!

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers could sign him for the vet minimum :hehehe:

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He would be hurt or about to be hurt. He has trouble finishing the year.

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He made a HUGE mistake sitting out. He doesn't look as explosive.

He had it great here, and just as expected he's just another ex-steeler to move on to another team to be nothing.

He's the move overrated player this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    Le'Veon Bell believes his lack of success with Jets comes down to a lack of touches

Bell is in the midst of his worst statistical season

by Bryan DeArdo

Patience is one of the traits Le'Veon Bell prides himself on, both on and off the field. Bell, whose patient running style led to enormous success during his time with the Steelers, was then patient with regard to signing his longterm contract. He sat out the entire 2018 season before signing a lucrative deal with the Jets as an unrestricted free agent this past offseason.

While he is remaining patient when it comes to his slow start with his new team, Bell -- who rushed for just 589 yards while averaging 3.2 yards per carry during the Jets' first 12 games -- wants to start having more of an impact on the outcome of his team's games. Bell said as much during the latest edition of his joint podcast, "17 Weeks". Bell, who missed the Jets' Week 14 win over the Dolphins with an illness, explained the main reason behind his lack of success during his first season in New York while also offering a solution.

"I've been playing in this league for a long time. I've always been kinda used to like, getting the ball 20, 25, 30 times," said Bell, who led the NFL with 321 rushing attempts during his final season in Pittsburgh. "Because that's what my body can handle and that's the type of player I've always been. Even in college, at Michigan State, I was getting the ball that much.

"I go to the NFL, it's been the same thing. Isn't it funny this year, because it hasn't happened. I understand (the) offense is starting got come together, and guys are starting to learn, we got a new system, and new players up front and we got new coaches and things like that. But I think, for me, I would love to put the game on my back and take games over. I haven't had one of those games this year yet. But a lot of people don't think I'm the same player or I can't do that. That's because I haven't had the opportunity to really show. As time goes on, we'll get better, we'll find a way to make things shake."

Bell is right. He averaged just 15.3 carries and slightly fewer than 20 touches per game during his first 12 games with the Jets. Conversely, Bell, a three-time Pro Bowler, and two-time All-Pro, average 19.8 carries and just under 25 touches in 62 regular-season games in Pittsburgh. Bell received a larger workload in four postseason games with the Steelers, averaging 25 carries and 31.3 touches in his three full playoff games in Pittsburgh.

The extended workload, however, particularly in the 2016 playoffs, eventually took its toll on Bell. After rushing for 167 and 170 yards in Pittsburgh's first two playoff games, Bell left the 2016 AFC Championship Game with a groin injury early in the second quarter. During his five active seasons in Pittsburgh, Bell sustained a season-ending injury three times while missing out on Pittsburgh's 2014 and '15 playoff appearances. While two of his injuries did not have anything to do with his workload, questions Bell's history of injuries is likely one of the main reasons why his market value was not as high as he likely hoped it would be entering free agency. His age (he'll be 28 in February) and the fact that he sat out an entire year likely didn't help his market value, either.

Bell was also on target when discussing the pieces around him. He is no longer surrounded by a future Hall of Fame quarterback and this decade's most productive receiver. Bell is also no longer playing behind an offensive line that boasts three Pro Bowlers, something he had during his time with the Steelers. Instead, Bell is now playing with a second-year quarterback, a weaker offensive line and a receiving corps that pales in comparison to the ones that he played with as a member of the Steelers. Until the Jets' offensive weapons surrounding him improve, Bell will likely continue to struggle to have the success he found with the Steelers.

That being said, Bell is still hopeful that things will turn around in New York. Last month, despite rumors of the Jets nearly trading him before the deadline, Bell talked about his desire to remain with the Jets while promising better days ahead for himself and the franchise. Bell's optimism has been somewhat realized during the second half of the season, as the Jets are 4-1 in their last five games entering this Sunday's road game against the Ravens. And despite his team's 5-8 record, Bell is not giving up on his team's playoff chances, recalling the events of his rookie season as the reason why.

"I've seen weirder things happen in the NFL, so until we're like, officially eliminated from the playoffs, I always kinda got hope," he said. "My rookie year with the Pittsburgh Steelers, we were 7-8, and then we played the Browns in the last game. We had to win that game and we had to hope the Chiefs won their game. The Chiefs had a game-winning field goal, it was like a 35-yarder or something. The Chiefs' kicker missed it, and that's how we missed the playoffs. So, at 8-8, we would have been in the playoffs as a wild card team. So I've seen teams make the playoffs at 7-9. I'm always optimistic. I'm not gonna say we're eliminated until it's official."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ss-with-jets-comes-down-to-a-lack-of-touches/

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And he might be available for vet minimum, but ego might get in the way.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is coming from the same dingleberry that said he didn’t want to be overworked when the Steelers offered him a contract.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bell was sick and Powell had a good day.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I disagree about Bell never being the same after the knee injury. Take a look back at the playoff loss to Jacksonville, and some of the cuts that he made to pick up yards on plays that were not well blocked, or badly beating Tevin Jones on a deep wheel route for a TD. I think he was a great player on the field right up until his departure, but he has shown no sign of recovering from the year off.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    True, the year off really was detrimental to whatever ability he had left. Not sure what happened there

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the year off is a much bigger factor than the knee injury at this point. He was also in a perfect situation in Pittsburgh with the best receiver in the NFL on the outside, one of the league's best offensive lines and a future Hall of Fame quarterback. At times this season, he was the only thing the Jets had going for them on offense. It was well into the season before Darnold got healthy and strung together a few good games, but even that didn't last.

13. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I think with Bells style of running, a year off does not do him well. Also with his style running, youthful legs are a must and he's not getting younger. How many ex-Steelers and especially the ones that left on a bad note really did well in the NFL after they left the Steelers ? Rod Woodson got a ring, so did Plaxico and the one receiver that went to the Broncos. There was also a nose tackle I believe that got one with the Skins a couple of decades ago. I think his name was Tim Johnson. And a nose tackle Zigonda or something like that with the Rams. Also Vrabel that went to the Cheats and the fullback that went to the Packers. Heck, many of our guys left and got rings now that I think about it but not the headcase players it seems. Steve Bono and Bubby Brister too I think got rings on other teams.

14. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He is gone. We look forward on this site not at the past.

15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    They may have got rings but that doesn't mean they contributed in the effort to get the ring. Brister popped out at me. A case in point that a lot of second and third stringers who saw limited or no action earned a ring for being on the right team at the right time.

Now I believe Plexico made a huge SB catch for the Giants. (not near as good as Holmes for us:)

16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Formerscribe.

Bell, and for that matter Brown, both blew it. At least Bell is collecting a check. Both were in the greatest most ideal situations here in Pittsburgh. If I was a betting man, both would have ended up in the HOF if they had finished up their careers with the Steelers. Brown still may somehow.

Also, even though I do not think it was a priority for either one, they would have ended up with a ring(s) given the new and improved "D". Once again, they both blew it on many fronts. If they had stayed (also if Ben did not get hurt) and we have the "D" that is in place now....Just Wow! What a team we would have.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem is that they probably don't make the same moves if Ben doesn't get hurt (I'm thinking he was hurt to start with).

Do they make that Minkah trade? Probably more dependent on Davis being hurt, but still...

What about the Back-up QB situation? I'm thinking Hodges has shown us more in the way of improving than Rudolph has and by a long shot. (do they get him under contract next year is the question).

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    :lollmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Lizard72.

Yes, I was thinking the same things as I was posting to you about all of the events that unfolded (Ben, Davis etc.) prior to the Minkah signing. Also, I was in the Mason camp for a long time. Even, after the 1st Browns' game. However, after the Bengals 2nd game I was for the Duck move. I still think Mason is going to be alright but for now Duck looks like the "Cooler Cucumber" (smile). Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

20. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    good to know, I didn't get that memo.

are you the one who decides that?

21. STEELMAN_CA

STEELMAN_CA Member

Dec 31, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Moron was on the path to a hall of fame career and Antonio Brown was on his way to a first ballet hall of fame career. The stupid part is Le'veon Bell LOST in doing what he did. he lost money, his effectiveness, he didn't gain dick. Lost on all fronts. So, one of two things happened. Either he held out that year because he knew he's get popped for weed again or he made one of the worst career decisions a player can make;.

24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Stephen A Smith just ripped him on ESPN for this. Yes it is true. He was OK to go bowling until 1am but 12 hours later was to weak and sick to suit up and play football.
    It all makes sense now why the Steelers never won anything with Bell and Brown. Yes they had tremendous talent but they weren't winners either on or off the field.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If we still have the 3bs we don't trade for Minkah, our middle defense is still giving up games, & we would be relying on Ben to put up 40pts. a game. Thank God we turned that corner.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1