1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupree - has he broken through or is it a mirage?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Has Dupree finally made the leap to justify his selection as a 1st round pass rusher? Or is it a mirage due to playing some crappy teams and/or Watt dominating.

2. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    They were speaking about this on the fan today. They said they believe the Steelers are allowing him to do what he was brought in for and that is rush the passer. With Watt on one side, a better secondary, Dupree is not asked to drop off into coverage like before. This is his second year at the right side now, they said maybe he has become comfortable now. They still have their reservations because of his first four years of disappointment.
    They seem to want him as the franchise player for next season. With so many other players to sign, Dupree only now having a great season, they aren't sold on his longevity for being this good in the future. They compared him to LLmar Woodely, big contract and never lived up to it despite his injury.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    For me he has. No reason to assume he has not. Keep in mind he was doing well in 2016 until an injury stunted his 2016 season.

In addition, also consider this. Since the new CBA in 2011, under Article 7, Pittsburgh has kept all First Round players who were given the fifth year option. Only Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns are the exceptions. As such, it would be unusual for the Steelers to get rid of a player who is finally living up to his potential; a First Rounder no less.

Add the fact that the Interior Defensive Lineman class is going to be deep again in 2020, and there is only one logical concluaion to this. More than likely, Javon Hargrave is not a Steeler in 2020. Bud Dupree will either be franchised or resigned to a bigger contract.

Pittsburgh is not about to let their First Round player who is realizing his potential walk. Nevermind him doing so well this season. Who is behind him that can supplant him come 2020?!

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    As Spencer stated above Bud's allowed to perfect what he was brought in to do - rush the passer and run blitz rather than play coverage - seems to be working fine. I just about fell out of my Lazy Boy yesterday when Kyler Murray turned and ran full speed smack dab into Bud's big awaiting smothering hug for another killer sack. Both he and Watt seem to be getting much better angles on the QB as the season progresses. Sure hope it all turns out better than what transpired after Woodley signed his big contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Wasn't Woodley's issues his effort coming out of Michigan though?! Dupree does not strike me as that type of player. Seems commited to constant improvement.

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    In my history of the Steelers fandom, the best pass rushing has been with two guys.

Greene and Lloyd
    Porter and Gildeon, later on Haggans
    Harrison and Woodley
    Now Watt and Dupree it took a year to gel, now it's good.

I think two things with Dupree, this is as healthy as he has been, also the contract adds motivation.
    It seemed as worked on his moves, he used to often pass rushed too hard up field, would get himself out of position.
    He now seems to be able to beat you with speed, but can also now do the bull rush.
    He also has worked well on run containment, much improved in that area from years prior.

It's too bad, because I don't think the Steelers will be able to keep him, it be nice to have him and Watt around for 4-5 more years.

But we are going to need to pay Watt who will even command more money than Dupree.

Watt is in DPOY for the league talk and consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    IDK. Can't remember all the nuances about Woodley except a significant drop off after the big contract. Bud seems to keep to himself, not a disrupter and doesn't mouth off to the press. The noticeable changes are improved technique and strength/conditioning. Now that he seems to be improving in those areas, his natural athletic skills have been on display like his terrific sack/forced fumble/recovery against the Browns. It wasn't that long ago that we cringed whenever a play came his or Artie Burns' direction. Now that Artie's riding the pine I look forward to see what Bud can do.

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Woodley's issue was doughnuts, and the like. He got out of shape and wasn't going to work as a LB in coverage. I think he was switched to DE for the Raiders. I could be wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, Dupree has worked out in coverage at least. I don't believe Dupree that type of person to rest on his laurels. Besides, Durpee was mainly an effort player coming out of Kentucky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Didn't he get hurt then put on the pounds? Or did the extra pounds cause injury? Can't quite remember which came first.

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yeah, I wasn't making a comparison between the two of them.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hi:

My mistake.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't remember the timeline either. I do remember Raiders fans being very disappointed.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    No mistake, I agree with your thoughts on Dupree. He attended Von Miller's LB camp a couple off seasons ago, that's a player trying to improve his game.

15. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    That's what worries me. I mean he's certainly turned it on this year that's for sure. Coincidence that it's a contract year for him? Or was it Porter's horrible coaching?

16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This seems to be a recurring matter with Raider fans when it comes to ex-Steelers! :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    As I theorized on a different thread about Bud, in a nutshell, I believe he is benefiting from the current configuration of the defense (post Minkah). I doubt his skill set would work as well with any other team. Yeah Watt helps him too. If a QB has to dodge Watt, then that gives time for Bud to finally get around the guy blocking him and so he gets some too. The secondary playing well means more often the QB pulls down the ball and that`s deadly with so many fast guys flying around.

On a side note, the QB who would do best against us IMO would be a pocket QB who is patient, willing to make the short throw quickly or else throw the ball away and had a good O-line. I used to think maybe running QB`s would do good against us, but that does not seem to be the case because we are just too fast.

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think Dupree has turned the corner. Biggest thing for me is that he finally has been healthy for a long stretch of time (knock on wood). He always flashed this type of potential, but he needed consistency. Now I think we are starting to see the consistency. Another thing is that he has been finishing plays better than he had before. I remember a number of times Dupree would get both arms on the QB and fail to bring him down... like sure fire, dead to rights had a sack and slipped off. This happened to the tune of once every couple weeks it seems (4-5 times a year). Now we see him finishing the plays (although he did have one miss against the Browns).

TBH I really think that its turn the corner for Bud. Good for him too in a contract year. Cant be upset about it at all. I hope we can find a way to pay him since I think having a second pass rusher to pair with TJ Watt is a huge reason why this defense is lighting it up this year. I'd happily let Hargrave and Hilton walk if it meant we could find a way to keep Bud. I don't want him signed at the expense of Fitzpatrick or Watt, but I really think that his ascension has added so much to this defense

19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I hate that you just described Tom Brady lol but in all seriousness I think we can beat anyone in the playoffs right now. I don't think we have enough to string together wins all the way to the superbowl, but I think this team could go on the road to Baltimore or New England (or KC for that matter) and beat them. Not like its a sure thing, but certainly more than just a puncher's chance.

20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree. There is no way they are keeping all 3 (Hargrave, Hilton, and Dupree). The most likely one we can keep is Hilton and I have no problem with that. I also do not see how they will be able to franchise tag Bud, and have much left to sign any other key players. Even if they get to 30 mill cap room with cuts and maneuvers, the tag would take up half of that, if they sign him long term of course a lot of that can be moved into the future, but you also have TJ and Minkah coming up. I do not know how the transition tag affects potential supplemental draft picks, but if they cannot work out a deal that might be an option. Let another team set the market, if he gets huge offers we are not going to keep him anyway, but at least we have the option to match.

21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He’s a beast this year

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, except I don`t think the Cheats have a good O-line. However, I still don`t think we can beat NE because of Brady. We almost beat the Ratbirds, I think we match up much better with them. Our "punchers chance" in the playoffs, if we get there, involves a must have of NE getting eliminated before we would have to play them and our offense gradually improving.

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I think we can sign him if we are resigned to the fact that Ben is here another season or two tops. That way we can just shell out for Bud, Minkah, and Watt and then go with Duck or whoever else at QB. Its really starting to look like we are going to give Ben a "one last hurrah" type season next year and hope we win it all. After that we move on and sign o0ur core defenders as well as find a way to keep our productive O players together. The years after Ben are looking like a "stack the defense and OL" type of game plan and hope we get there with a game manager that rises to the occasion

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The question is grave digger or Dupree? I'd try to sign Hargreaves and give Bud the tag (which he said he's cool with) but in all honesty we got a lot of money coming up to make decisions on without much to spend... Tough calls to make.

25. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Didn't he end up eating Casey Hampton which caused the injury?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1