1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin almost had me believing

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 8, 2019.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :facepalm:

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    They will never miss winning the divsion and subsequently getting to the playoffs.. Their division is and always will be weak. It's brutal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    He's not an idiot for drawing it up. There is nothing wrong with planning for contingencies. The mistake was not properly communicating to Berry that it was cancelled. I really don't think it's the heads coach's job to communicate that to the kicker during the game so you'll have to find something else to rip Tomlin for. Judging by the history of this place I've no doubt you'll be able to come up with something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    We win not because of Tomlin, but despite him. He really isn't a good coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We're onto Buffalo

• Like Like x 1
  6. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    huh? caught a fish

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    He is

10. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Upon Further Review: Mike Tomlin makes NFL coach of the year case by defying odds with Steelers

Mike Jones
    USA TODAY

The scrutiny was already there — the byproducts of fallouts with two of the franchise’s biggest stars and a late-season meltdown that cost the Pittsburgh Steelers a trip to the postseason. And the questions of his leadership ability had only intensified as Mike Tomlin and his squad stumbled to an 0-2 start to the season.

Then the pressure ramped up even further with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger lost for the year and Tomlin expected to somehow keep the team afloat.

But the Steelers coach never batted an eye. Exhibiting the same fortitude he demands of his players, Tomlin by now should have erased any questions about his coaching and leadership capabilities. In fact, this season just might rank among his most impressive bodies of work.

With three weeks left in the season and his Steelers still very much in the playoff picture while coming off of yet another impressive victory, Tomlin is making a strong case for coach of the year honors.

The Steelers entered the season needing Roethlisberger to carry an offense that had lost significant firepower following the loss of Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell. But they also required excellent play from their quarterback because their defense was in the midst of a rebuild as young additions acclimated themselves to the NFL and grew into their roles.

Tomlin then had to alter approaches following Roethlisberger’s season-ending elbow injury. He had little choice but to turn to second-year pro Mason Rudolph sooner than desired. Meanwhile, he worked to expedite the development of a cast of young defensive players while challenging them to carry the team with the offense handicapped.

Tomlin’s plan has worked, as young stars like Devin Bush and T.J. Watt have emerged as bona fide playmakers. The in-season addition of safety Minkah Fitzpatrick has fortified the secondary. Meanwhile, the Steelers lead the league both in takeaways (33) and sacks (48) and rank sixth in the league in total defense (310.9 yards allowed per game) and points allowed (18.6 per game).

A defensive backing like that has enabled the Steelers to remain competitive despite having to shift to Plan B and now Plan C (undrafted rookie Devlin Hodges) options at quarterback and while the offense compensates for the injury woes of running back James Conner and wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster.

The Steelers certainly haven’t been perfect. Rudolph’s turnover woes cost him his job, and Tomlin’s willingness to take risks has subjected him to criticism.

However, his results in the face of this season’s adversity make it hard to deny his effectiveness as a coach and leader. Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFleur, John Harbaugh and Sean Payton certainly deserve consideration for coach of the year as well, but few coaches could have produced the results Tomlin has this season.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...itzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnfl-topstories

• Like Like x 1
  11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I am not sure how anyone can believe this statement.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    He's not a great coach, but he's not a horrible one either. He's average to slightly above IMO, and that's all you need in this league. A coach who "doesn't kill you", to put it in Tomlin's words. I get where the critics are coming from, really I do. The bone headed challenges, yesterday's fake punt,etc. But how can you write off this season as a whole? If he gets blamed for the bad games, he should get credit too, and this year he's winning some games we shouldn't be winning. At least we're in the playoff discussion every year. There's a lot of franchises who would love to have the Steelers consistency in that regard. At least some of that credit should go to coach Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe he's a gangster and telling me that I'm going to sleep with the fishes. :shrug:

14. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    just be glad he didn't post a pic of a horse's head...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The good thing about the fake punt attempt is that it is out of the way now and won't be tried again. If it had worked then Tomlin might have called again in another spot but it failed so miserably that surely it won't even be considered again.

16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey biggbunch68.

As I have stated in the past and these are Tomlin's words: "The standard is the standard" and "The next man up". I am given him no more or no less credit as to where we stand right now. You deal with the cards that you have been dealt (injuries, departures, etc.). He is a Head Coach of a professional football team. This is what he gets paid for. I give him no more or no less credit for a win than I would for a player that scores a TD. It is what I expect.

Yes, I recognize and applaud when a good job is being done but once again it is what should be expected. No different than anyone else in this world who is employed at any job. This is what he was hired for and collects a check for. Now, if he wins a Super Bowl this year, then we can talk turkey.

For me, personally, he has way underachieved; especially the second half of his career given all of the talent he had to work with. I firmly believe we should have several more rings given the "O" weapons we had. And whatever shortcomings that we had on "D" should have been rectified by him since "D" is his supposed forte.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid