1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

McDonald looks disinterested?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Didn't Ben design the playbook? Problem #1 Imo.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No, he didn’t. They just had to dumb it down for him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  3. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    "Get open AB, we're going for six." Big Ben

• Like Like x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No, it’s not. 8 out of 11 were not rookies.

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    HeySteelers304.

Yes, I agree that would be pretty far-fetched thinking that they are holding them back for an "Element of Surprise" effect. Especially, since we are fighting to get into the playoffs and need all hands on deck now.

Now, I do think that Vance is above average, actually "Very Good" and that Vannett is decent. Yes, Vance has his injury history which has made him undependable. Although last year he was pretty good about staying healthy. As far as them not being "Studs", well Vannett, no, Vance I think can be and has shown flashes. Given that, they are our TEs for the rest of the year. It is not like they are totally worthless by any stretch. They are adequate/good IMO. We have to use them in the passing game.

If you can answer the following, then great: Are they being used more for blocking or to set up other plays? If so then great as long as it is bearing the fruit that it was intended to do. However, from what I am seeing this is not the case. They are just simply not be used to any bottom line production at all. What a waste. You cannot tell me that they cannot contribute anything at all to this "O". Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If they can keep vannett on a cheap deal and get a decent TE in the draft they may be better off cutting McDonald. He is almost out of guaranteed money after this year so they save nearly $6m by letting him go. He is good but he is injured a lot.

7. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I question how good he really is. The only truly positive attribute I am sure I have seen from him is once he has the ball in his hands he is a bit of a tank. Other than that I don't see a lot with him. He isn't a great blocker. He isn't a great route runner. He doesn't have great hands. Idk. I just think he has gotten too much love because of a couple runs after the catch he had.

8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Health would still be my biggest concern. I think he is reasonably good at everything but if you look at some of the TE’s that game out of the mid to late rounds in recent drafts like Andrews, Kittle, Dissly etc I’d be tempted to cut him and roll the dice in the fourth round.

9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Offense Coord just doesn't known how to use them i guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Wardis mvp.

I have been ranting all day about the "Underutilization" of our TEs. Quite a few posts from me, then I come across the story below. Does it really even matter (I hope he is okay on multiple levels). I mean the gist of all my posts, and many that I have read today, is the lack of using our TEs up to this point in the season anyway. Whether hurt, or just not being played, for whatever reason, he is not being used. So, does it even matter whether he is not available anyway? Once again, first and foremost I hope he is Ok from a health point. Given that, I really have been burning up about his lack of targets, as well as Vannett's, for well over a month now. I just do not get this. We need our TEs!

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...-te-depth-heading-into-week-15-vance-mcdonald

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    You guys are out of your mind...Vance is a good TE and so is Vannet. And Vance has played every game this year until he got hurt this past one. We finally get two good TEs and you want to dump one because our crappy OC can't call a play to the TE. It's not their fault their number's aren't called. I could see the gripe if they were dropping catches like Moncrief, but they're not even being targeted. Blame Fuchtner before you blame Vanimal.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Turtle.

Yes, they are good! Very Good IMO I have been ranting about this ALL DAY LONG here on the board and for most of the season. As I say, this is "Disgusting". If Vance does not seem interested blame the HC and OC. Vance and Vannett have been totally mismanaged by this staff. All season long. I just do not get at all what is happening here.

They should be heavily involved in the game-planning from an "O" statistic standpoint, to check-downs, to max-protect and whatever else their skill-sets allow them to do; which should be a lot. I repeat, and agree with you, they are good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I hate that we aren't utilizing are two very good TE's, and yes, I believe both are very good. I am actually surprised their quality has come into question to be honest. What I think is happening is that we are running a very limited play selection in an attempt to keep it simple for Duck (or Mason). At some point, the playbook will be have to opened. This is when you will see the true Duck (or Mason) for good or bad. I won't even go into the OC himself, it would take too much of my time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    My suggestion that they may need to cut Vance was more to do with the cap than it was to do with Randy. There are multiple threads on here in the past week asking how they can hold in to all these young studs on defence given they are up against the cap for 2020.

There are four contracts sticking out like a sore thumb that can be cut with minimal dead cap and significant savings, Barron, Chick, Foster and Vance. Combined saving $20m.

I like Vance but he is expensive. Don’t for a second think the Steelers FO won’t be looking at this option. Re injuries I thought he missed three games earlier this year and left another early. Apologies if I got that wrong.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They are under used because we have a guy that I talked about before the season started and about his use this year. Jaylon Samuels. A TE/rb/hback. Not many teams have a guy like this. He has been utilized by our OC. He leads the team in receptions. You guys wanted the wrs used more. They are now. This guy is that to between of all these positions. There is only one football on the field. They have been trying to get the ball in Samuels hands so yes that is taking away from the tes, but we are also helping the oline block with an extra lineman or te at times so it limits touches from these guys too.

Maybe the OC is dumb like a fox and using these assets that we have to fix other areas of need. We are 8-5 with a very depleted team. Name another OC in the league that is in contention using players that have under 6 games with their team. He is actually doing a magnificent job of winning so far. :cool:

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Do we need to pay someone #1 money considering the te's role in Fitchner's offense? Nothing against Vanimal.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    They are winning because of the defense, too say that the team is in contention because RF is utilizing his assets is insane. In a thread about the TEs not being used :facepalm:. Fichtner is treading water..

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The TEs just disappeared this year though...Why is he seemingly avoiding play calls to the TEs is my question? Especially when you trade for a legit #2 early in the season? Makes no sense...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It is not all about the defense. 3s and 7s count too. Is it high scoring? No but we are manufacturing points. At least enough to win with. It's team wide wins. Yes the defense is doing their job, they also are sporting 10 first rd. picks. Randy is using practice squad players and deep backups. You expect it to run like clockwork? Get real. As I said before the season and now, he is using Samuels over the use of tes.:cool:

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Oh you mean the Samuels with the measly 2.8 rush avg and 6.1 reception average? Wow what a weapon...Vance and Nick both have better receiving averages, but keep using the guy that gets you less. Nice work genius.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he has done some good things for us this year. I'm going out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure Randy doesn't tell his qbs to only throw to this guy on any given play. Wow Johnny holten has a 22 yard per catch average, why doesn't every pass to go him?:cool:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, I agree. OL with 5 players trying to block 8 defenders is a tall task especially on 1st downs. Something tells me he is being given "guidance" on what is to be called as it takes special effort to call such a bad game that no one person could do it on their own.

23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It's funny that we are winning, but still find something to b!tch about... the OC.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

you do realize McDonald has 1 less catch then washington. 5 less then juju. He is 5th on the team in receptions. At 7.1 yards per reception he's not lighting it up either.

Johnson 42
    Samuels 41
    Juju 38
    Washington 34
    McDonald 33

it's not like he's not getting used. Blame the OC for not spreading the ball around as was the premise of the offense all year. He has done exactly what we needed to do with this team since we don't have a clear number one. We all talked about the need to spread the ball around this year. This is what he is doing.:cool:

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    [QUOTE
    Samuels is too high on that list. Then again the reindeer loved him.

• Agree Agree x 1