1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck’s Development

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheWay, Dec 9, 2019.

1. TheWay

TheWay Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    I have to admit, I missed much of the game yesterday. We had a 40th birthday party to attend. My wife kept kicking me because I was watching on my phone.

I’m hoping to watch the game again today but a couple things excited me and wanted to start a discussion first.

The offensive game plan was obvious and boring again. Lots of short passes and check downs. Once they went up up by 10 they just fed the rb’s and ate clock.

Kind of predictable, and frankly a little disappointing. I was really hoping they were going to open it up to allow Duck some opportunities to practice his timing routes, work the middle of the field and open up the playbook against a weak defence.

despite limited opportunities I think we saw some real progression out of the young QB. The one example that really stood out was the TD to DJ. It was a perfectly timed throw that only his man could catch. He managed to release the ball before the receiver broke to the sideline, even after gathering (another) poor snap. I admit he stared the receiver down but I think the snap contributed to that and there was no safety threat to control.

So one throw yes. But arguably the most difficult throw to make in football. Perfectly placed and timed. We didn’t see mason make that throw once, let alone for a score. I acknowledge that the offence is a concern, and Im not willing to crown duck yet. But I believe he’s showing enough progression that if Juju and JC come back this team might be able to make a splash.

So what do people think about Duck’s progression so far? What are the criticisms? Weaknesses and strengths? What’s got you excited (like me with that TD throw)? What’s got you concerned? The team’s success is likely on his shoulders, let’s analyze it to death cause I know I’m going to spend the next six days doing exactly that, so join me.

2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    To me, his play so far looks much like how Mason started. Exception being he is more mobile.

He needs to avoid a confidence killing game and of course an injury or concussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I just hope he doesn’t start to tighten up, keep playing with that house money kid
    Won’t matter how well he does,he’s just a filler , but if things go south he’ll be riding pine

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What's wrong with short routes and check downs? People were complaining about that with Mason too. If it moves the chains and wins games it's all good. Frankly that has been one area where Ben has killed the team for years. He'd rather have the highlight reel throw and catch than a boring 4 yard that gets a 1st down and nets you three more opportunities.

In watching Kansas City yesterday Mahomes worked everything taking deep shots, intermediate throws and more often than not short throws that let his skill players make plays. Rams did similar stuff last night as well. Getting the ball to Woods and their TE''s on jet sweeps, reverse's and so.

When you do get to watch the game again watch how often the Cards are giving a 5 to seven yard cushion to the slot recever and one of the guys outside. Once Duck is more comfortable with what he is seeing he will know to check to quick throws in that situation for moderate gains. He did it on the fourth, hit the slot guy the right and netted them near first down yardage. Do that enough and it will draw the safeties down into the box and give you single coverage outside so you can take that deep shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Duck made a couple throws yesterday that a veteran NFL QB would be proud of. Not every QB can throw and accurate back shoulder pass and he did it a couple times. If that accuracy continues to improve he's going to be a good QB. He seems to have good patience, good pocket awareness, and the right amount of confidence. I'd like to see him have a little more zip on his passes, those deep balls tend to float...and he doesn't see the whole field. If there's progress he will be good.

Mason could only dream of making some of the throws Duck made yesterday. I have no idea what to expect from Mason. Not sure I've ever seen a 2nd year QB struggle as bad as he did with the opportunities he was given. Something will need to drastically change if he's going to be a starter in the NFL. It was starting to look like Mason had/has a case of the yips.

6. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Mason the future of the franchise would have thrown for 400 yards last night easily! ol Randy just never let him be himself!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I thought Duck looked good when he was allowed to throw. He's been placing the ball very well and giving his guys a chance to make a play, which they have mostly been doing.

8. TheWay

TheWay Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Absolutely nothing at all.

But you make my point for me
    The short routes and check downs are far less effective when there is no other threat on the field. It's the entire game plan and everyone knows it. When the game plan is as predictable as it's been it becomes very easy for opposing defences to scheme against it. Mahomes can make ALL the throws and generally tends to make the right ones. Teams have to scheme for him to throw short, medium and long routes. The steelers are much more transparent for that.

Despite the game plan we're seeing some intricacies to Duck's game that lead me to believe that the potential exists that he can throw the whole play book. I love the idea of this game plan with a young quarterback in order to give him confidence. I felt the same with Mason but I don't believe that he showed what Duck has within that. If this team is going to make any kind of a run the have to open up the playbook. A running back can't be your leading receiver. It's just too easy to defend.

This isn't a bash the OC thread. There's enough of that. This is to gauge the groups opinion about Duck's development as an NFL passer.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  9. TheWay

TheWay Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Agreed...the game plan is very similar.

But my point, maybe not clearly stated, is that we're seeing more out of Duck to justify expanding the game plan at this point. More than we saw out of Mason. Honestly, the best throw I think Mason threw all year was the one he was knocked out cold on. I was so excited on that play as I thought "ok finally a real NFL throw". Then the camera panned to his body.

I think Duck is making more accurate throws. More difficult throws but he's doing all that despite the game plan not because of it.

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Red Zone Efficiency needs improved, he did a good job driving yesterday but only 1 TD in 4 Redzone trips.

You get 3 out of 4 you blow the team out.
    You get 2 out of 4 you win easily.

But he did good 16 out of 19 is great. Didn't throw an INT, made some nice runs with his legs.

I think his running ability helps the Steelers offense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think he’s making some throws that Mason either threw poorly or didn’t even try to make.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Duck has been improving steadily. However and, as I said with Mason (although less so given Mason's lack of development), Duck is not entirely the issue. Randy Fichtner has been, is and will continue to be for the remainder of the season.

What type of Offensive Coordinator passes the ball within the 2 minute warning?!

13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Why didn't Tomlin overrule the call is the bigger question?

The two things Hodges does better than Rudolph is pocket awareness/mobility and accuracy of his throws. Rudolph wasn't the same after the concussion.

14. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Hodges is better than Rudolph even when MR's stats looked "good". His arm strength and accuracy are demonstrably better and we can see that from the receivers making plays and not dropping balls which despite what some may think is correlated to accuracy and timing.

James Lofton nailed it on the telecast yesterday on the one out pass. He said it was delivered late but that the ball was on a rope. You didn't see that in MR. His balls to the outside were late lollipops. If Duck can get to anticipating open receivers better he could be a decent QB. Not sure he has what it takes to be an above average starter, but a good backup

15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Some of y’all really need some perspective. We have A few rookies and players snatched off practice squads starting. They’re all still learning the playbook and still learning how to play together. The simple fact we control our own destiny at this point in the season is tremendous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The offense only scored one touchdown yesterday. I’m happy with any win. But I’m not excited about the offense by any means

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I thought the play Duck made on the run on 3rd and 13 before the two minute warning to Johnson was great. We have seen Duck now two weeks in a row make plays with his arm late in the games with under 5 mins left throwing the ball that have extended drives and eating a ton of clock and have been a big big reason for these last two victories. Adding a guy like Ju Ju back this week can only help Duck and this offense make more plays throwing the football.

18. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I think Duck benefited a whole bunch from running the scout team where he had to go against our defense. Like someone said, Duck is playing loose because he feels he’s playing with house money. The challenge for Duck will come when there is film on him and coaches figure out his tendencies.

Duck’s strength are that he is accurate and can move around. I don’t know if it’s because of lack of arm strength, but he throws a very catchable ball. I haven’t noticed any glaring weaknesses yet except he’s short and has to float his ball over defense on screen pass... the rb’s have to wait on the ball wondering if they will get killed after they catch the ball. He may have vision issues due to lack of height. However, he hasn’t had his passes batted down.

19. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    That 3rd and 13 play was something that even Ben couldn’t have done better. Best throw of his young career.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. He reminds me of Rudolph pre knock out shot. I'm not excited but they are winning and we'll see if he grows any with more playing time under his belt. His best traits IMO is he is fearless and plays loose.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey BigBensBigBong.

Yes, first we do not need a "confidence killing game" or any type of injury. We cannot afford one. If one does occur, hopefully Duck is OK and we still get a "W". Next, I admit I was 100% in on Mason. However, after the first Brown's came I stuck with him. However, I put him on a shorter leash. Once the Bengals game came next, he looked "Meh". I personally felt to give Duck a chance as much as I hate "Musical QBs". So far he has performed "admirably".

This is what is to be expected from young QBs for the most part. However, whoever is in we just got to keep cranking out wins, even if they are 2-0. No margin for error left if we want to sniff playoffs.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnace.

I think you summed it best when compared to Mason: "he is fearless and plays loose". Mason has to find that in case we need him again. I do not know anything about Paxon Lynch. Also, if Duck did go down for any reason, do we go back to Mason or Paxson. What do you think?

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

That was his best throw yet. I thought he should of just ran it, you always worry about an INT or a clock stoppage but he hit his open man and nailed for an 1st down and was able to run even more clock.

24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If you get to go back and watch the entire game, you'll see that he was accurate, decisive, and effective. It wasn't just one throw that defined his performance. He did more than just not kill us. He managed the game. We lost 2 possessions due to a fumble and return for 6. Getting those two possessions back, he likely throws for over 200. He was 16/19. Keeping up that average and adding just 5 more passes per possession, he could have easily been 24/29 for 200 yards and maybe even another td. Yeah, a lot of ifs in my logic. I know.

And to your point about his progression, he is a bit more polished and confident than he was initially, but he started off in command and accurate. He really hasn't changed. And that's a good thing.

I don't get it. You're not the only one saying this, but I just don't get it...from anyone. Mason WAS NOT accurate from day one. Duck was. Duck's first pass was superior to anything Mason threw pre and post concussion. It took ONE series with Duck under center for me to assess that he was better in control of the offense, better at delivering the ball, and simply a better option for this team. I felt comfortable with him under center from the get go. I did NOT feel that way about Rudolph. What I did was make excuses like so many others about him being young, and green, and having his eggs scrambled. Fact of the matter is that Rudolph just isn't that good...but Duck is.

HOW????? I usually agree with your posts, and always respect your opinion, even when it differs from mine. But HOW can you say Duck reminds you of a pre-scrambled Rudolph when pre-scrambled Rudolph was not delivering the ball on target, not mobile enough to adjust to a collapsing pocket, and looked like a rookie out there? Duck was never any of those things. Duck is unrefined and green. I'll give you that. But he's a baller. He's got "it." He's a winner. And he showed from his first pass that he was a better prepared, and better overall, qb than Rudolph ever was. I just can't see the comparison. I can't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Duck, Mason whoever, the Steelers are not going to put a big number on the board unless D has some TD's. Our success will come from the O scoring in the 20"s and the D keeping the other team from seeing the 20's. Bills is doable, Jets is doable, Ravens needing a win, playing at home is not doable.

10-6 would be off the charts amazing season and a huge credit to organization for dealing with what looked like a terrible season.