1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

McDonald looks disinterested?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Can't blame him, total lack of using the TE in the passing game.
    And the Steelers have 2 good ones.
    Makes you wonder?
    This will come back to bite the Steelers,
    Randy really needs to step up these next 3 weeks.
    Ben won't even be able to save his job.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I know we have had a lot of problems this year and one of them being the loss of our starting QB. However I will say this Vance is a top 10 paid player this year and is scheduled to make 7.1 mil the next 2 years. On a team looking to find money for all these young guys coming up this is a lot of coin to spend on a guy not being used very much. Fitch needs to find a way to get min involved no matter what.

4. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The Steelers OC is just bad, he doesn't know how to design an offense. No use of TEs whatsoever and screen passes with no blockers. The reason is he tries to use misdirection but it is so obvious that opposing defenses know the play before the ball is snapped. If I was a TE in this offense I'd be disgusted, I hope the Rooneys can see how bad this guy is and get him out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Some of his designed run plays are so bad, that the opposing teams can see whats happening. We have more run plays for loses than most team. Not all are on the lineman its lot of bad design.

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    he is our new free agent pickup. Funny name huh ?

7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it's time to move on from Vance. He is not going to help this team.. Can't stay healthy and for whatever reason our OC does not draw up plays for our tight end. We need JJ back.. Call Heath and see what he is doing. Man to have a guy like Miller again would be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    You guys do know the Steelers offense is almost made of entirely rookies, right?

• Like Like x 2
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Wardismvp.

I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR OVER A MONTH NOW! (Not yelling at you with the bold/caps Ward, just pissed off here)

I have "NO" idea at all what Tomlin and his Bozo OC are doing with the TEs but obviously it is not tapping into the talents of Vance and Vannett. This is "Totally Disgusting". I am totally Pissed-Off here. I have been saying this for over a month now (I know I just repeated myself here). Why not just line up 10 on Offense if we are not going to use the TE. We might as well since the other teams do not have to account for that position.

Yes, we are winning. That is Great!. However, I would be "Disinterested" if I was Vance, and Vannett as well, with the way that they have been underutilized. This is just 100% Mind-Boggling. I just do not get it!. We have a young QB, and even if we did not, there is no excuse not to incorporate the TEs into the weekly game plan. I could go on all day about this and I have for over a month now.

IF ANYONE HAS A RATIONALE EXPLANATION AS TO WHY THE TEs ARE NOT BEING UTILIZED, I AM ALL EARS. ESPECIALLY, FROM THE TOMLIN LOVERS.

I am just so pissed to the state of affairs to this situation. I should not feel this way, especially after a win.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    You think we just drew up our plays on a chalk board? Call me crazy but I'm sure we are running plays that have been designed by other coaches ...especially up front. There's only a few options for blocking schemes. Our running game will open up when our passing game does. When the opponent is ignoring your pass offense then we have to use max protection and use TE's to run block. You have to account for everyone. I'm sure our online and TE's often have options based on the defense they are looking at.

If Duck can start making quick reads and neutralizing blitzes or stacked defenses then things will become more manageable for the run game. Buffalo will be a true test for DH.

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey OX1947.

Yes, even more of reason to get the Veteran TEs involved. WHERE ARE THE TEs? I ranted much more in other posts about this today. This is just totally unacceptable. I will stop now as this is my third post about this, this morning. Just "Disgusting" the way the TEs are not being used. And some wonder here, why Tomlin gets the criticism that he does. He does sign off on the Game Plan each week, Right?

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I am starting to think that the tight ends just aren't that good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. It is not just a matter of execution, it is the called play itself at times. A mental error. Like the one late in the game and we are near the goal line and we call a bubble screen or whatever. Duck threw it in the ground, but just think about that call. No way if executed results in a TD. It was pretty much all risk-no reward play call. Now, if we were being aggressive and were gambling on a play in the end zone to put the game away, but if it fails it leaves more time on the clock, yes that is a big risk, but you are trying for a big reward. That would have been acceptable as a coaches decision if we were throwing for a TD. What we did instead was brainless, horrible and self destructive. That is not the first time this poor decision making has happened. Fundamental mental errors by the OC are 100% unacceptable.

14. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    We don't have great receiving TEs. McDonald has the size and speed to be a potential top 10 or so TE, but he's often injured or drops it or just maybe he isn't that great. Honestly game planning to use the TEs more sounds easier on paper than what it is if you don't have the horses to back it up. Remember we are working in another QB on the year, and this kid doesn't have much experience just yet. I have no problem right now with the teams we are playing being a little conservative on offense with the defense taking care of business the way they are. Maybe another 2 weeks or if we get into the playoffs they'll start working them more, but i really have no faith in Vance.

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    vance fell off a cliff but the OC is not helping

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I would have been fine with them throwing to try to score a TD as I did not like the thought of being up only 6 at the end and we weren't getting the TD on the ground. However, as you said that play was not designed to get a TD. I assume it was supposed to be a "safe" pass but if safety is the concern they should have just run.

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I've been saying this all year. I don't like his attitude. Granted he's catching the ball and getting killed for 2 yards but still. He's gone after this year imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey TheTerribleOwl.

I disagree my friend. The TEs may not be lighting the World on fire but they are definitely not, not good. We have to use what we have. We are not going to make any changes to that position at this point in the season. We have all seen what Vance and Vannett can do. They are adequate. They have just become Totally Invisible and that is Totally Unacceptable. They can be a QB's best friend. especially a young one.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    McDonald has the ability to post Kittle and Andrews-like numbers. He is not being utilized in the current offense for whatever reason. He's basically a 6th OL... like Mark Bruener back in the day.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. TheWay

TheWay Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    It's pretty simple IMO. Tight ends primarily run routes in traffic. For whatever reason, the Steelers aren't throwing many routes in traffic right now. I don't blame him for being a little bored. He's a glorified offensive lineman and decoy.

21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steelers304.

Maybe they are "Saving" them for a playoff run? Well, first we have to get there. And to get there we need their services now! Sure, that would be nice in theory if we make the playoffs and then out of the blue the TEs all of a sudden become more "Significant" in the "O" by catching the opponent off-guard by not of having them being used all season.

Kind of a risky theory if it is management's plan. I really do not think that is their mode of thinking though. If it is though, and it works out that way, then Management looks ingenious. Once again though, I doubt it as we know we have no margin for error regarding W-L and must win every game from here on in to make the playoffs. To risky of a plan if the case is to hold back the TEs and then let them become more involved in the pass catching "IF" we make the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yup. to think Heath Miller was a better blocker than any tight end we have had, and receiver. Miller was elite

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I have always been told that TE"s and check down RB's are a QB best friend. Not for Rudolph and Hodges.

McDonald gets no looks, and now he is hurt. TE will be a high priority in the draft or Free Agency for the Steelers.

I think McDonald will be gone by next season even though he's under contract.

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think TE should be a high priority in the draft. We need to prepare to move on from Vance whenever his contract is up.

25. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    i don't think we are holding them back to be some surprise for a game plan in the future or anything. I just think they are bringing Hodges along slowly not trying to put too much on his plate. IMO. Or they have no faith in the TE group which is also fair, because they aren't studs by any stretch