1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How about some love for another MAC Wide Receiver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Joshi, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    i frankly can’t believe I am the first person to make a thread about the incredible plays made by D Johnson. I know this is sacrilege, but he looked a little like AB on the punt return and then incredibly reversing his field on the screen. It takes really serious speed to reverse field in the NFL.
    Is it possible the Steelers found another gem at wide receiver from the MAC?
    I know, temper my enthusiasm but we don’t have anyone else on the roster with such electric ability

• Like Like x 1
  2. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    He was a difference maker today. He seemed more explosive and confident. Hopefully he can keep it up as this offense desperately needs playmakers.

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    My brother played college football and tends to have a much better eye for talent than me... He has been saying all year that Rudolph is garbage and Johnson was going to be a star. Seems like he's been right on those two thus far.

TBH you're right on DJ looking a lot like AB. They are similar athletes, are more shifty than they are fast and get to top speed very quickly. Also gets in and out of cuts really fast. YAC always looks like a punt return...

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He needed to atone for that bad performance he had against the Browns last week.

5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He had an amazing game today. Yes, that's AMAZING all caps. Good job young man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Rudolph has not learned what nfl open is let alone he is wildly inaccurate.

DJ has been great.
    Cain has been really good too.

These young wrs are starting to perform and make plays now that they have a qb willing to get the ball out quick and give them a chance.

Ducks 1 td pass never would have been thrown by tye reindeer

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow! After you compared him to AB, I was actually shocked when I just checked #18's height - he's listed at 5-10 but to me plays much taller! And at 186 lbs is almost a mirror image of AB. That makes him shorter than even Washington. Now Cain and Holton are 6-2 and 6-3 respectively and I just assumed Johnson was in that range. Didn't you just love seeing all those AZ players slip on their butts when he reversed field on the punt return. Almost looked choreographed like dominoes falling. Great show young man. Definitely Game Ball to #18!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I'm loving what I'm seeing out of him. Don't forget he's a rookie still adjusting to the pro game. He's only going to get better. Great pick Colbert kudos

9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Actually he is much further ahead than AB was his rookie season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Joshi.

I started a Thread about the "Formidable #2s" which referred to the current three receivers of JuJu, Washington, and Johnson. In short, I stated that all three are very talented and as they build chemistry with: one another, the QB and the "O" as a whole, I think that opposing "Ds" are going to have to pick which "poison" they want to deal with.

This week it was Johnson's turn to break loose and not a moment to soon. They may alternate week by week on who steps up or do it in tandem or altogether. It does not matter as long as the job gets done. I just hope their progression continues and that we can get JuJu back this week. When all three can be on the field at the same time I truly believe that they can cause some havoc out there. I think that they are only going to get better as their average career playing is between 1-3 years of time. They have just begun their careers. When Ben gets back he will have a more seasoned WR crew to work with which is exciting. For now, they have to mature even more rapidly if we are going to continue to be "Significant" this season.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  11. MackDog21

MackDog21 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2017
    I suspect now that JW and DJ are showing up pretty consistently between the 2 of them, when JJSS comes back he will probably look like his former self quickly. Just a hunch, we may be in for a treat

12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey MackDog21.

We have to get JuJu back as I stated to be at full strength for this 3-WR Set (Washington, Johnson, JuJu) to fully be effective. It is obvious that he was the beneficiary of AB and Ben. However, they are not here, so he needs to adjust once he does get back. Not try to do too much and just play within his role. He should not feel, nor should the others, that they have to be a so-called True #1 WR. That will come in time for whoever that may be. In the meantime, just all three must realize to play within their own games and how they fit into the overall scheme of the "O".

It would be easy for JuJu to put too much pressure upon himself given last year's success. He has to realize that each year there will be changes to the face" of the "O". He has to realize where he fits in, continue to be a leader; which does not always mean 100+ yards/game and multiple TDs. Just contribute to whatever it takes to get the win.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Steelwinds. I said this same thing earlier this year. We may not have or need a true number one but we have good twos across the board. I also said Johnson has the quick feet that made ab what he is. Cain is a huge plus and I believe will continue to be even next year with Ben back. We need to pick these guys like he and why he up for the sake of the cap next year. We need this type of players to make a roster next year.:cool:

14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey mac daddyo.

Yeah, you and I see eye-eye here. I would be happy for right now to have three really good #2s. Which I really think we do. I know that I am getting ahead of myself here. However, when Ben returns, and if these three continue to grow and build chemistry as we are seeing out of them now, he will have some nice toys to play with. Ds are not going to be able to deal with all three on the field at the same time. I have to look at Cain more. Honestly, I can only go by what folks are saying about him here on the Board and it all seems positive. Especially, if we get more production from the TEs and if we have an effective check-down RB (I like Whyte and Samuels for that).

On a side note, I was watching Steelers' highlights yesterday on YouTube as I think I told you in another post today. Man I miss Martavis Bryant. Another bone-head. He was really good. i mean his ceiling was very high for talent and potential. Too bad he fell off the cliff. When we had B-B-B-B, and that was really only yesterday, we were "LOADED". You talk about opposing Ds having to pick a poison. Then it was literally all taken from us overnight.

Take the 4Bs plus our new found "D" and JUST WOW. Sports talk shows would be talking about us as SB favorites. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Take care.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bruce Arians was very upset that the Steelers got Johnson, said they just got another good one. I guess the Bucs were getting ready to draft him just before the Steelers took him.

16. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Your thread has the correct title because that’s really what this entire wide receiving group is right now, Formidable #2’s (not stealing your term but rather acknowledging). What will be interesting is will anyone of them become a #1 when a true NFL caliber ab is throwing the ball?

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Johnson needs to get a lot stronger. Brown isn't big, but he is strong. Take that game-winning touchdown against the Ravens, when he had to fight through multiple guys at the goal line as an example.

Honestly, Johnson reminds me more of Santonio Holmes than Brown. A lot of that is consistency, something Brown had when he was the best receiver in the game. Johnson hasn't shown that at all. That said, a career trajectory like that of Holmes would still be a hell of a return on a third-round pick, especially of Johnson's production comes without the pot head issues that finally led to Holmes being shipped out of town.

18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Joshi.

No you are right. They are what they are (#2s IMO) as I rationalized my position and that is okay. I am not going to get too caught up on labels. Now, if I said they are #3s or #4s then I would not hold my breath for all three to explode with potential. To me, each one is very dynamic with the potentials to be True NFL #1 Caliber-Type Receivers, IMO. There are some similarities between all three and some differences as to be expected.

I was watching YouTube highlights of JuJu yesterday. Man, I really did not realize how good he is for fighting for the ball. James Washington is showing a lot of that as well. Now, throw in Johnson's "Break-Out" game the other day and I tell you what, the future is looking very promising for these three young men. I like what I have seen from each of them and I truly feel that they are all only going to get better.

What do they have as NFL experience? A range of 1-3 years I believe. WOW, so much room for growth.; especially when the QB situation straightens itself out. Hopefully, it is Ben. Not knocking Mason or Duck, just right now Ben brings more to the table than those two. Hopefully, in time both mature into great QBs as well.

19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    That's one thing about this year, a lot of players were forced to grow up quickly.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Darryl Drake (RIP) was pounding the table for Johnson, I guess Arians called Drake to cuss him out about the Steelers drafting DJ.

21. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    The nice thing about his emergence, and the fact that JuJu and JC aren't currently on the field, is that even the Pats would be hard pressed to get good film on the offense right now. How can you film Duck's tendencies when his supporting cast is either emerging or coming off injury? What we put on the field week to week right now is all new. I don't think you can pull any predictions from film on us right now. Fichtner might or might not suck, but he's a clean slate right now. He could come out throwing to the tight end Sunday night and surprise EVERYONE!

Defenses are going to have to play us a little more honest since Duck has some emerging weapons to throw to and can get the ball to them. Stack the box and Duck can move the chains. Support the pass and Snell/Sam/Whyte will find holes. I think we're rounding into a not-so-pathetic offense at the right time.

• Like Like x 2
  22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey The Glory days.

Yes, week by week we are not giving the same look on "O" to any of our opponents. Injuries always stink. However, in this case, and to your point (Great Thinking), and as long as we are winning, This could work out in our favor in a "roundabout way". Take care.

23. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They will all benefit from all this game experience this year to hopefully be even better next year. I love that all these young guys are getting snaps even on defense Buggs and Ola will be better next year. I liked Dick LeBeau but it drove me nuts that he almost never played young guys in their first two years then sparingly in their third then they break out in the fourth and cash in elsewhere.

We would be lucky to get one and a half yrs of production before losing them. Not a big fan of Butler and not sure its him or Tomlin but seeing rookies get playing time now is like making a sound investment in the future.

We are truly spoiled we might have bottomed out and come out of it in one freakin year!

24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011