1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offer #48 a respectable contact.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 1, 2019.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I like Conner, but I don't see him being reliable at this point. He's an above average RB when healthy, but it looks like he's gonna have chronic injury issues.

We definitely should keep Samuels and Snell. Both are good #2/3 RBs... but we need a McCaffery/Zeke caliber RB at #1.

Who knows, maybe Snell could end up being the #1... haven't seen enough of him yet to make a call. Snell looks legit so far.

As far as TE is concerned, I think McDonald and Vannett are not being used like they should... no fault of their own. The young QBs are not getting them the ball. We do need another TE, but I wouldn't grab one in the 2nd round.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Conner’s reliability is definitely a concern but what do we do with him? He’s not gonna get cut. Snell is showing promise but he need to make the jump in conditioning. He was able to bounce a couple runs outside against Cincy which I thought was great at the time until I learned Cincy is one of the worst teams defending the outside run. Snell lacks the quickness and speed right now to threaten the edge. Of course I’d love to grab Najee Harris but like I said with the current stable,I don’t see a high pick there. IMO.
    Agree on the TEs and their lack of involvement. We invested in Vannett so I think we do our best to keep him and while I do like McDonald I wouldn’t be mad if we had a TE who could threaten the seam. A more athletic type or like I mentioned a big body WR/TE combo. Yes the 2nd is probably high for a regular blocking/ pass catcher but I’m thinking more of a mismatch type player.

3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Vox.

I do like the Transition Tag as you suggested. I get what your saying: "Honestly, why should he be appreciative?" It is a two-way street with any job is my point. Now, as a teacher, and I was highly recruited, but was basically not up to snuff for the first four years I probably would have been let go after three years which is typically the "Standard Probationary" period as teachers go.

Yes, each industry has its own unions and contracts, etc., etc. The Steelers were very patient with Bud. I am ecstatic the way he is playing now. Unfortunately, in a way the timing is bad to turn it up in the last year of his contract. If he performed last year like he is now the Steelers Management had more "wiggle" time to figure this out. However, players evolve and mature and different points and there is not much anyone can do about that.

I get it is a business. These type of conversations take place all the time on this board and everywhere in general. I just hope that Bud realizes (I am sure he does) that the Steelers could have released him at the end of Year#4 with his sub-par resume to go with him out the door. That is my biggest point here. However, they stuck with him. He remained in an ideal situation to improve his craft. If he was let go after Year #4, who knows where he would be right now and how he would be performing. Once again with his sub-par resume following him he may have been out of football altogether. However, the Steelers took a chance on him with the Year #5 and it has been working out great for both sides up to this point. Once again it is a two-way street.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    j

It all depends who's there, but one position I'm not picking high next year is running back. GOod RBs can be found in the 2nd like Leveon. He's a bit of an outlier though. He'd still be a top RB if he didn't sit out a year imo can't expect that out of every number 2 pick

5. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    well, since we don't have a 1st round pick then our 2nd round selection will be the highest one we have....

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    You're not telling me anything I don't already know. Point missed entirely. Bell was a 2nd round pick

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    RB is good value in round 2. Better than OLB.

Steelers could probably get a top notch Center or Guard in round 2 also. 2nd round Centers and Guards can start immediately... like RBs.

8. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    I know, I was referring to your statement "one position I'm not picking high next year is running back. Good RBs can be found in the 2nd like Leveon."

the 2nd round is pretty high...

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Generally rbs can have more value in the second round. Not always the case.

Jason Gildon was a 3rd round pick.

Greg Lloyd was a 6th round pick.

I'd pick o line over RB. I like our current rn situation albeit with people a bit healthier

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    That's my point. I'm not picking 'high' with the second pick next year a RB unless a studly falls. I think you read into what I said

11. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    thanks for the clarification, now that I understand what you meant I agree with you. :thumbs up:

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree but we need a tackle. Hope they grab the first or second RB off the board to pair with Conner.

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey mcam.

I love when we were able to find those hidden LBs back yonder. Lloyd was a monster as well as Gildon. Even with Bud finally finding his way it seems, I would take Lloyd over him in a heartbeat.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Adeniyi has three tackles and zero sacks in his NFL career. He hasn't shown much of anything in regular-season games.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Man we need to find a way to bring Bud back, at least for one more rodeo with Big Ben at the helm.

I got to wonder where this is coming from though? Is it finally clicking, or did he finally decide to play in a contract year.

16. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I agree with this. Bud is having a great year but watt has been lights out from the get go.

17. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    When I first heard they gave Dupree the money they had for this season, I was pissed. Bud now seems like a deal for this season. How all of a sudden did he become good or why did he figure things out now ? I know the back defense got better but that didn't make him run his out of play hoops in the past.
    Is it the money of a new contract ? Is it he finally figured it out after all these seasons ?
    I can't imagine coaches haven't coached him up in the past . I can't imagine he never thought of playing a different way. I also can't imagine he's been saving it for a new contract. Maybe he finally gets it ? Maybe he finally stopped thinking and started reacting ? Maybe he finally understands or sees what, the offense is doing ?
    I also think they shouldn't break the bank for a one year wonder when, we have so many others to maintain. If Bud doesn't get signed to the Steelers I can only blame Bud. He gave too little too late even if he is having a terrific season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    IMHO, offer him a fair contract, but don't tag him. When you tag someone, you end up paying them more than if you didn't.

19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He'd be stupid not to test the market and take the biggest offer he gets. He has had 1 good year and it was his contract year. Players do this all the time and most of them never again play up to their new, large contract. His agent knows that. Bud probably believes in himself, but his agent knows that this might be his only chance to get paid. They'll take the big offer, and I hope the Steelers don't get sucked into making it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    We have to get him signed. He is working well with Watt on the other side. He has been dominate this year and will not be easy to replace. Any of the other 31 teams would jump all over him if availing

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That’s my point... if we are going to make a serious run next year, we’ll need Watt AND Bud.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would use the franchise tag on Dupree, with no first round pick next year he will be hard to replace next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm all for the franchise tag, but I hope they don't offer him a long term deal. I don't trust a 5th year breakout player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers will and should offer him a fair contract but if someone is going to break the bank on him, he'll be gone.

I'm not sure who would, considering this is his first good season but you can never underestimate desperate GM's.

25. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers did that once with the other OLB. And it went south really fast. I just hope Bud doesnt turn into what he was in years 1-4 once he gets his dough, should he get resigned.