1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Rivera

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by santeesteel, Dec 3, 2019.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    This is the quandary we're in. Tomlin isn't good enough to be our coach. His replacement is a coordinator/assistant most likely for another team right now. Someone is going to eventually replace him. Hopefully, that person doesn't make those of us who are dissatisfied with him regret the change or realize too late that he was better than we thought. (that won't happen because he sucks, but I'm just trying to be fair and impartial)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Those excuses being..HOF QB on IR, starting 4th string rookie. Other pro bowl players on IR or injured through mulitple games. Answer..all teams suffer injuries..reply..yes but not to thus depth. It could go on and on..

After last year I felt a change was needed. Not because Tomlin is so bad, rather there are times a coach just does not have the ear of the players, the coach has lost ambition and drive. This year Tomlin has shown just the opposite. What he has done with this core of players is amazing to watch. Does he have short comings..sure. Look at other teams who have recently went to a SB and how the teams look a year or 2 later. I say let it ride for a a couple of years. This year is a building block..if it does not produce then change. Colbert, Tomlin, and Ben can ride off into the sunset.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So you're expecting a miracle from this team, decimated by injuries and you think it's a excuse if they don't win in the playoffs :facepalm:.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    We know Tepper won't be clamoring for Tomlin, because wasn't he one of the minority owners that wanted him out?

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No, it’s not. Fan bases tend to be over the top in criticism of their head coaches. It’s Bellichick or bust.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    He might be better than Tomlin, I haven't paid any attention to his career. With saying that, the Steelers past three HC were new to head coaching and not another teams old. I'd stick with Tomlin over Rivera. Some guys will say, you want to replace Tomlin but seldom have an answer with, whom to replace him with. I'm a fan that wants Tomlin gone and despite whom I want him replaced with doesn't matter. The Steelers probably wouldn't consider my input.
    Tomlin has been loaded with too much talent over the years not to have had more playoff appearances or Super Bowl appearances.
    This year he's doing good with a stacked defense and opponents that are not very good. And this might be the worse NFL season I have ever witnessed i the terms of a poor product. I wouldn't allow Tomlin off the hook if he goes 8-8 or better or makes a playoff shot. Tomlin still needs to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    nope

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This might be an unpopular opinion regarding Ron Rivera but Cleveland might be a landing spot. Of course getting rid of Odell will be paramount for certain as I doubt that Ron would want to go through having such a distraction again. Plenty of talent still on that team that if a coach like Ron goes to could bring good prospects for the future of the Browns.

That said though, knowing the Halsam's, I would imagine someone else is on their radar. For that matter, someone whom John Dorsey and Jimmy Haslam collectively can use and absue as if that coach was a puppet. Jason Garrett comes to mind here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Mike Tomlin would not want to go to David Tepper anyway. David Tepper is much less like the Rooney Family and more like the Jones Family. That dude has a colossal ego and wants to rewrite the Panthers in his own image. To do that, he needs a puppet.

Ron Rivera does not strike me as a puppet type coach.

10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No miracles expected here. I anticipate we are going to do just like we did the last few years with unbelievable talent on the team. watch other teams playing in January. Have you not been following the Steelers prior to this year? Wouldn't it be reasonable to anticipate this based on trends when the team is healthy? I think so. But that is just me. I always hope for the best but that hasn't done me much good for a long time now.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That unbelievable talent was mostly on offense, those defenses lacked playmakers.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Has a 65% winning percentage, but isn't good enough to be our HC :facepalm:.

13. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Exactly! You're starting to see things clearly!!

By comparison, Chuck Knoll's winning percentage was 57%. What a BUM!! He should have been fired long before his 23 years were up. He was a blight on the history of our storied franchise. His winning percentage, just as Tomlin's, is the only measure of success. Man...I sure wish we never had Chuck Knoll as a head coach. :facepalm:

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take Noll as HC, I don't know who the heck Chuck Knoll is :roflmao:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Losing your franchise QB and still being in playoff contention (as of now), doesn't equate to a HC change in my mind. Whether I like Tomlin or not, I don't see the team making a change. They need to address the OC position WAY more than HC.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I misspelled the last name. That's on me for not paying attention. But after you get done laughing at my mistake, your point will still be invalid.

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So now we have a comparison between Noll and MT. I'd think 99.9% of Steeler fans would prefer Noll. Yet Noll had a lower winning percentage. To me, the MT era was good but has been stagnant for many years now.and a fresh approach is needed. So let me ask any one who cares to respond: What does a coach need to do to continue being the HC or the Pittsburgh Steelers and how long should his tenure be? Is it winning percentage fpr as long as he likes, a ring within X number of years, playoff appearances in first X years, rings over winning percentage, be good some years and average/ less than average other years, I am just curious?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Two different perspectives. One is from the fans and doesn't really matter unless you're on a message board. The other is from ownership. We can't talk for ownership (although we like to think we can, and do so frequently).

So from THIS fan's perspective, a HC should oversee the acquisition of new and veteran talent to fill voids and add depth to a roster that supports the coach's philosophy and style. Tomlin and co. have actually done that quite well. They brought in some pretty talented dudes.

A HC should then develop the structure of the team, including, but not limited to, game plan and identity around the roster. Tomlin did that for the offense by putting together a supporting cast for Ben. Unfortunately, while working hard to satisfy Ben, Tomlin alienated other offensive players and totally dropped the ball (see what I did there?) on the defense and special teams.

A HC should prepare the team for game day and game situations. Tomlin preaches situational awareness, and I agree. Unfortunately, he is preaching to the choir. No one is getting his message and we seem ill-prepared far too many times.

A HC should be a leader of men. Oh, the men like him, that's for sure. But no leader has been successful because he was liked. Let me be clear. There are successful leaders who have been liked. But being liked is NOT the catalyst for being successful. This is not a popularity contest. Tomlin fails hard at this. He brought in talent and then cow-tailed to them. He let the talent run him. That isn't fair to the team OR the talent.

So what should a HC do to continue being the Steelers' coach? He should carry on the winning tradition deep into the playoffs. He should reap the benefits of the talent he has acquired and not squander it. He should win the games he is supposed to win and split the others. Even a mediocre coach should be able to win the games he's supposed to win. But a good coach can also win some that he's not supposed to.

I think that winning the games we're supposed to win and splitting the others would be as fair of a benchmark as anything. I don't put much stock in winning percentages as a benchmark. Jason Garrett has an 80% winning percentage. 80%. So would anyone here rather have Jason Garrett as HC of the Steelers? I certainly wouldn't.

It's time for a change. The old talent is falling off. Ben might not ever play another down. Do we allow Tomlin to ruin/spoil/squander another batch of talent like he did with the current talent? I say no. Just look at his mismanagement of Rudolph. He needs to go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    A look at Rivera's record shows that he rode the ups and downs with an inconsistent and oft-injured franchise QB, not unlike some other NFL coaches. I think he got a raw deal unless there is some behind the scenes stuff not being reported.

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Being a defensive coach, Rivera is giving up a ton of points this year.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Rivera had 3 winning seasons with Carolina :shrug:

22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    But how many *non-losing* seasons did he have?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Cam had 3 winning seasons with Rivera. :hmm:

24. Steelersfan19

Steelersfan19 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
  25. Steeler dane

Steeler dane Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Tomlin needs to stay he should be coach of the year he's doing an excellent job. And what is this mismanagement of Rudolph? Surely you don't think Rudolph should still be starting, he's total garbage.

• Disagree Disagree x 1