1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

tomlin adjusts defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Dec 2, 2019.

1. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Spot on. Great post.

Go Steelers! :herewego:

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why does Tomlin get all the glory? What about DC/position coaches?

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I tend to not over analyze the steelers.............however I will spend time on a message board analyzing others comments...........:facepalm::shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    All I know is this defense is playing the best I have seen in a long time. People want to kick Butler when we stink but don't want to give credit to him when we are playing lights out. Now this article says MT stepped in and: “straight up went high school football coach and drew up how they were going to defend Cleveland “! I am fine with that as well, I remember myself and others complaining how MT stepped in a couple years ago and took over the defensive play calling and we went backwards. I complained then and I will give credit now. I said it before and I will say it again as long as we win I could care less who is getting credit and who is doing the job.

The one thing I will say is there is a few negative comments about Butler here and I just don't get it. We want to see him gone at the end of the year when we are playing better then we have in a long time. Ever think the talent was the problem, I mean look at what MF has brought to this team and the secondary. Sorry but id you are coach turds no matter what happens it is still a turd. JMO

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

But some fans want to complain Tomlin doesn't do any coaching, he just stands there with his shades on the sidelines :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Truest thing anyone will read on the internet today.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I remember a lot of fans complaining when he took over playcalling from butler and the defense just kept getting worse. Regardless things are going great now and that is what matters not who called who out...........

8. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    He’s the HC. He should get some credit for winning.

Doest every team make half time adjustments? Any and all halftime adjustments are made by the HC. I would hope we are making adjustments in every game if its not going as planned. Thats his job. Even if the punter made the adjustments its the HC that approves it .

It’s bizarre that this is news. Have you ever heard a player to make a point to say the coach helped us win by making adjustments? Does he normally not do this?

Also cracks me up how critical people are of the DC. Our defense has kept us in the hunt. We are one of the best defenses in the league. Why on earth doesnt Butler get some credit for this? You blame him when we are bad but if his unit is good its Tomlin? Thats crazy. The guy finally has players at LB and safety. He can now run the defense he wants . Our talent up the middle before Bush and Mikah was a joke .

lets not forget the talent we had at LB and Safety in every SB appearance. DL knew this. Butler deserves the same opportunity.

Tomlin deserves credit for all of it. Good and bad. He’s the boss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Ryan Clark was saying that the Tomlin behind the scenes was dynamic and inspirational so he asked him why does he give canned responses and talk in cliches while in public. He said Tomlin told him that he doesn't want the public to "get a glimpse of his soul".

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    You need to update your profile pic.... half of those people are not even on the team anymore.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I remember when the defense was less talented than it is now, for the record Tomlin never took over playcalling the defense on gameday :shrug:.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

So you are saying that we have more talent and that is why it is better not coaching......I am just asking? Nope he didn't call the plays on game day but he did make the game plan which is a big part of it. Either way like I said don't matter I am happy they are playing great but hate the whole.....where are these people saying these things, can't we all enjoy the fun this season turned into? I mean holy cow it got off to such a bad start we were looking like a top 3 pick and here we are sitting with the last playoff spot........enjoy fellow fans!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Okay, so he rah-rahed and pumped his fist and the defense responded. Was it motivational? Probably. Did his hype execute the defensive plan? Nope. Did it put the guys in the right position to succeed? Hardly. Would we have given up a touchdown if he said nothing? Highly unlikely.

I can say that telling my daughter to be safe before she leaves our home in West Virginia to drive 6 hours to her apartment in Tenessee was the reason she made it there without incident. But the fact of the matter is that she was raised (aka "coached") to be a conscientious driver and to be prepared for changing road conditions. I'll still always say it because I feel better doing it. But it's really up to her to do what she has been taught to do in order to ensure her own safety.

In this instance, Tomlin did nothing to hurt the team. In fact, his motivational episode was timely and appropriate. But to give him credit for good coaching as a result is insulting to good coaching.

A head coach is less of a coach and more of a manager. A good head coach doesn't have to, or shouldn't have to, communicate much with the athletes during the game. The coordinators/assistants over the particular units/groups should be the ones communicating directly with the individuals under their charge. The HC should be communicating more with the coordinators/assistants. That's how an effective hierarchy works. When you, as a HC, spend too much time directing the athletes, you are not only losing sight of the big picture, but you are also diminishing the role of your coordinators/assistants.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019

Exactly.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The HC does communicate with his assistants, that's why they have those headsets :shrug:. A HC should talk to his assistants, and his players during the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    So, by your logic Bill Belichick is not a good head coach?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Doesn't look like he is pumping his fist and saying that if they do their job, the other team will panic. It looks more like he is drawing up something on the fly. It's called an adjustment based on what he is observing as he manages the game. Apples and oranges. But nice try.

19. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    Fair point.

However, the article stats that players credited Tomlin for the plays he drew up, in game, and how that “saved the game”. So, it’s really comparing apples to apples, and the only difference is the negative bias towards Tomlin.

Nice try though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Two completely separate, isolated incidents. One is Tomlin rah-rahing (the video that we should be talking about). The other is the high school inspired half-time adjustment (the one you brought up to challenge my post). Just let me know which one you want to discuss and I'll be happy to give my opinion on it.

21. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    That’s one way to look at it.

The article is about Tomlin’s in-game adjustment. Which he is really not known for, but did so successfully against the Browns. He drew up plays specific to the situation and the the players executed. In my estimation that is comparable (maybe to a lesser extent) to the Bill Belichick clip I referenced. It also looks like Belichick is giving his own “rah rah” speech in the midst of that adjustment.

The “rah rah” clip you are discussing is only part of what happened in that game. It would be irresponsible to focus on that clip and ignore everything else, because on its own that clip is irrelevant.

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    A former player said he did.:shrug:

23. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    So if you have a boss who can barely outthink a vegetable, and he surrounds himself with toadies about the level of drooling morons, the boss is a great leader?

(None of this applies to Tomlin. Just pointing out the saying is either wrong or woefully incomplete.)

24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I think you have misunderstood the statement. The answer to your misguided question, however, would be no.

25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey MJB.

Oh no. Not at all. That would be totally unacceptable. The HC definitely has to have something upstairs to operate with. I cannot even remember now where I got that quote. I know that post is only a few days old. However, it is imperative that any person in Management have strong support personnel for a whole slew of reasons which I am sure you would agree with.

The overarching main one that comes to mind is to have those people for the Primary Leader (Head Coach, CEO, Principal, etc.) to bounce ideas off of. From my experience as a teacher, the most successful Principals for schools have always had a competent "Think Tank" of personnel to do just that. The Principal is not going to know everything like any leader and if he/she did not tap into his supporting cast for assistance then he/she would be a complete fool.

Now if the Head Honcho, plus the entire Think Tank are all incompetent, then there is a major cluster-F. I have seen this before as a teacher and it is not pretty. As far as the Steelers go, everyone being totally incompetent at the management level, you have to wonder sometimes.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1