1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Watt on pace to break JH single season Steelers sack record

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The game I'm referring to watt did not play they instead played chick over James.
    If I remember right Watt was injured early his rookie season. Made no damn sense not to play Harrison that day and some other days throughout that season. Was he on his way out due to Father Time? Yep, however he had enough left to provide a spark or atleast stop the damn bleeding in certain situations. Can't recall who it was that said "he's not playing because he's a liability in coverage" when I brought it up on the forum that day but the case I was making was let the dude play as chick got mauled. He could've been situational like O'l Freeman when he went to Atlanta or Ware with the Broncos and he would've done his job and that would've kept things on the up and up IMO.

I doubt James hindered bud much... Bud had some injuries and just appears to be a late bloomer in a contract year.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    We now have 3 linebackers who have won awards this year. Bud and Devin Bush have won AFC DPO the week previously this year. Also Minkah and TJ are strong contenders for DPOY.

3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm still surprised things ended the way they did with Harrison. Not sure why they didn't play him more. It's not like he lost it. He did great in new england.

As for Watt, he's a stud and I haven't heard anyone complain about drafting him with the #1 draft pick

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They started him in the Bears game and got gashed for 200+ yards rushing. That was the end of that. Bud needed to play and Watt was surprisingly solid in his rookie year. No, reason to mess up his development for over the hill veteran.

Nobody in their wildest dreams thought JH would throw away 14 years and sleep in meetings. Drive to games by himself, they cut Blount for doing that once. Not go see Shazier after that serious injury with his linebacker group. Then go to the Patriots and try to help them tie us in Super Bowls.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    How does that make him any different than half the fans?

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't take any scenario that has the Bengals going to the Super Bowl seriously.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is a Steelers great. You can deny reality if you want, but that is your mistake.

Do you make the same claim about Franco Harris? His departure from the Steelers was driven by a salary dispute. He even went to a conference rival. The Seahawks were still in the AFC back then.

The support of the Steelers is irrelevant to Harrison's chances of getting in the Hall of Fame.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's possible. Dunlap got Darnold three times when the Bengals beat the Jets this past Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Butler probably has him dropping into coverage against the Jets. :eek:

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah me neither but in order to compete in the hyperbole contest against him I too had to pull something out of my rear end....:shrug::roflmao:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    There's a huge difference in wanting to make more money and what JH did. Most people can relate to players wanting to make more and as much as possible in their career. But some pull the "your a millionaire anyways" bs.

So if your job said next year we are going to pay you to show up and you don't have to work. You show up and start **** with your co-workers. Oh yeah, you got a 14 year pension. All you have to do is retire to get it. Don't go to our rival company, work for basically free, and try to help them beat us in sales. Nobody can relate to what James Traitorson did. He's a complete idiot that makes rash decisions in the heat of the moment without the ability to think about the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers were the ones who made a mistake by cutting Harrison, thus allowing him to go to another contender. It's the same mistake they made years ago with LeGarrette Blount. That's on them, not Harrison.

I don't like what I did, but you blow it way out of proportion. I don't really want to see the team inviting him back for alumni stuff because he didn't just burn bridges on his way out of town, he pissed on the ashes. It is a bit much to think anything the Steelers or their fans do in relation to Harrison from here on out is going to influence what any future player does. I doubt an active player would think that far ahead.

Allowing players to force their way out is a big mistake. That does set a bad precedent. It shows player they can get out of a contract they don't like. Showing that they won't be nice to them once they're gone isn't going to deter anybody.

13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Completely different. They needed the roster spot and Harrison was acting up. He wasn't worth keeping around with his attitude anyways and it still took needing the spot to cut him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Blount was acting up, too. He left a game early because he wasn't getting enough playing time.

It is exactly the same. Both players acted up, disrespecting the team and coaching staff, to force their way out of town. In both cases, there was speculation about tampering by the Patriots. In both cases, the Steelers effectively handed New England a useful player. It was even worse in the case of Blount, who had a hell of a lot more left in the tank than Harrison at the time each guy was let go.

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Exactly. Blount did it once and gone. They let Harrison get away with it all season to try to help protect his legacy/future. He had to try really hard to screw that up and he did!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You really are around the bend on anything related to Harrison. Blount's action was worse and more public than anything Harrison did. You're also basing it on reports quoting anonymous sources, so you don't even really know what Harrison actually did or did not do.

You're also wrong about Blount only doing one thing. He got busted for marijuana possession before the season. He was the passenger when Bell got his DUI.