1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Have We Seen the NFL Potential of Mason Rudolph?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Dec 2, 2019.

1. No, Mason will eventually play at an NFL caliber level and supplant Ben as the Franchise QB

12.1%
  2. No, Mason will eventually play at an NFL caliber level but be a career backup in the NFL.

67.2%
  3. Yes, He doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB and is destined to join Landry Jones in the XFL

20.7%
  1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    :clapping: Well stated thesteeldeal.

You know what it is "thesteeldeal". In football, the team usually goes as the "main cog" (QB) goes. In Baseball it is the Pitcher. In Basketball it is probably the Point Guard. These are the most glamorized, but also mot polarized positions in their respected sports. Given that, they are subjected, fairly or not, to the most criticism, both positive or negative. It just goes with the turf. Mason has played (IMO) equally as well as Hodges and I am not for musical QBs. However, I keep stating that I feel we are "significant" in the league and Tomlin and Company has to do what they feel is best to keep us "significant".

I have been in the Mason camp once he took over and still am rooting for him. As I have always stated here, and across the Globe, if you don the Black and Gold then you know how we Roll. Hey a rhyme (smile). I actually just made that up. Anyway, let's just get ready for the next one folks. I am getting pumped. Below, is an image of the STEELWINDS Sports Complex East from the 70's and 80's. Take care all.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Steelwinds Sports Complex.jpg

2. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Even before the Cleveland game he was not doing "decent work compared to many qbs". He was at the bottom of yards per attempt, for example. It was plainly obvious that he was serviceable at best. His limitations were there for everyone to see and see they did as his stats were decreasing before bottoming out vs Cleveland and then Cincinnati. His three games before Cleveland his passer ratings were 84.4, 84.3, and 85.6. A rating of 85 puts him right between Mitchell Trubiskey and Joe Flacco. That's not "decent work". His overall passer rating right now is 80.3, that's 31st in the league. Once again, not "decent work".

edit: His QBR is even worse than his passer rating. He's last in the league at 32.9, and it's not even close. Kyle Allen, Trubisky, and Dalton are the next worse at 38.3, 38.8, and 39.4. Four of his last five games have QBR of <30. That's not decent.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You know he only took one sack right?

You can say he tried to bail out when he should have stepped up into the pocket though.

Granted the receiver didn't help Rudolph very much, but I'm betting part of that is the timing and rhythm was just off between them. They couldn't rely on the ball being there when they came out of a break or in front of them where they could get it and get YAC. Always seems like there was a delay in that ball getting there that just didn't mesh. Seems Duck is putting the ball out there on time and in a spot they can make a play on it.

Look at the Flee-flicker, Rudolph throws that and puts it in a spot the DB had a better shot than his receiver on that play, over the outside shoulder and that's probably complete.

4. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think whoever mentioned mechanics hit the nail on the head. I still can't for the life of me figure out if all the drops were the receivers or Mason. They weren't dropping them before, and they haven't since his benching, so I wonder if it isn't something about the way Mason delivers the ball. Maybe where he delivers it? I don't get it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think so. But if he doesn't make strides with a competent
    QB guru you might.He needs lots of footwork help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    We HAVE seen flashes of Mason's potential. And his potential is high.

Unfortunately, we've also seen cracks in his fortitude.

I've said repeatedly that Duck performs better than Mason not because he's more talented, nor even that he's smarter or better prepared, or better at reading defenses. It's because Duck has chutzpah. Mason is consistently hesitant and late on decision making, and by extension, late on his throws, off balance, and just poor timing. The thing is, he wasn't always like this. He just hasn't been "right" since that head shot he took against the Ravens. Can he turn it around and still become a good pro? Sure. But it won't happen this year. And my concern is if he's like this now, will he always get gun shy?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Whoever voted mason will be the future franchise QB... wow what are you smoking?? Mason apologists are the worst. Mason should never see the field again as a Steeler , he was crappy all year even before Earl Thomas , and I hated watching the Steelers with him at QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    you should change your signature lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    That was my point regarding the drops. Except for Moncrief, it's not like the receivers were dropping balls with Ben or with Duck. And it's not like it's one particular receiver, it was the receiving corps as a whole. The one common denominator? The passer.

When you deliver the ball a tad late and in a bad spot then you're going to get some drops, especially after the receivers get hit hard a few times on balls that leave them exposed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah..... upload_2019-12-3_11-23-19.jpeg knew it all along though....

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :wave:

Did Mason's dog poop in your yard?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’d have to blame his inaccuracy for the drops. Requiring receivers to concentrate more than they’re accustomed to just to make a catch takes them out of muscle memory/the zone/whatever. And it pulls attention away from their awareness of what’s around them (defenders, sideline, etc.), something so ingrained that it might not let go of that extra concentration. Pretty hard to shut off your instinct for self-preservation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Someone said it right i think.

Duck is reacting while Mason is simply just going way too slow.

Add to Mason's slow reaction time his lack of pocket presence, footwork, pass accuracy, and his inability to pass down the field in the NFL, I question if he truly does have the "it" factor to be an nfl QB.

There are a slew of college QBs that did well but who were huge busts in the NFL.

The verdict is still out for me for Mason. I'm definitely looking for a QB with our 2nd rounder next year if I'm GM

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Some of his passes have been downright awfully inaccurate from not even that far away either. From what I see it's due mostly to poor footwork which is the result of poor pocket presence from the pass rush.

Maybe a lot of this stems from simply nerves and being anxious. I'm not throwing pitchforks yet but have a lot of concerns at the moment.

The good thing is he's just a 2nd year QB. He'll have his contract most likely to show he can be an NFL QB. I think right now it's clear he isn't.

15. TheWay

TheWay Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    At the end of the day his physical tools are average at best (so are Tom Brady’s)

He’s demonstrated that he struggles to see the game happening in front of him at NFL speeds.

Can a dumb kid in high school study really hard and get an A? Yes for sure, but he’ll still never be a rocket scientist.

Elite nfl qb’s are rocket scientists (not josh dobbs....he’s just a rocket scientist....it’s a metaphor).

IMO with a lot of hard work MR will be a decent back up...that’s it. He just seems to lack the specific skill set required of elite qb’s.

16. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    no sir , but his play stinks like dog poop

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    Can’t mess with the mojo this late in the season lol

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That simply isn't true. There were plenty of drops on balls that should have been caught this season. Most of the drops were the fault of the receivers, not Rudolph.

I get the frustration with the guy, but this desire to use him as a scapegoat for all the team's flaws gets a little old.

Take the two safeties as an example. The first one was absolutely his fault. He held the ball too long in his end zone. He had no chance at all on the second one. It was a jailbreak at the snap and the best he could possibly do there was take the safety rather than turn it over and possibly give up a touchdown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I'm not even 100% sure it's about the footwork and pocket presence. Two examples: the second INT he threw in Cleveland and the last pass he threw in Cincinnati. In both instances he had great protection, a clear passing lane, planted his back foot, stepped up, and threw. In Cleveland he was about a yard behind the receiver and in Cincinnati he one hopped it to DJ.

20. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    He lives in West Virginia.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    He was managing games and not turning the ball over up until Cleveland. We get it you wanna see hydrogen bombs down field every play. And don’t play dumb acting like the receivers are not at all at fault. Mason is benched for good reason, he lost me about 30 grand. I’m done with it. It’s Hodges turn

22. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    The truth is Hodge's ability to run for his life is helping him in the current situation... Mason is the better QB but lacks the same ability... Everyone wants to judge MR on the Browns game without acknowledging that they won some games many didn't think they would with the help of Rudolph... Hodges has also benefited from the receivers apparently remembering how to catch all the sudden... I mean none of Hodge's throws the other night were good but James Washington made him look good by playing like a BEAST... Rudolph got very little help from the receivers though maybe he should just float it up to them like the duck...

23. Philofarnsworth79

Oct 6, 2019
    We get it, Mason Rudolph stole your girlfriend and you're butt hurt about it... You obviously know nothing about football...

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  24. Philofarnsworth79

Oct 6, 2019
    Yes except almost every ball duck threw in the Cleveland game was late & contested yet they still caught it... even when hit b4 it got there..

25. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I wasn't comfortable with MR under center after his first start. I was comfortable with Duck after his first series.

I stayed in MR's corner for as long as I could, but he simply could not deliver the ball where it needed to be. The drops were on the receivers, but I don't think there is enough trust in him to deliver the ball properly. Receivers should anticipate the ball on every play. When you come out of your break, you have to be ready for the ball. Our receivers seemed to be thinking too much and not trusting the ball to be where it should be.

Duck, on the other hand, is putting the ball where they expect it, and can do something with it.

At this point, I'm worried about MR's future. I like the kid. I wish him the best. But I don't know how he comes back from this. Tomlin threw him into the deep end before he was ready to tread water. Tomlin left him there too long. Unless he gets some help, mechanical and psychological, I thing he washes out. It's a shame. But he's not ready or able to compete at this level.

• Agree Agree x 1