1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TOMLIN Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Nov 24, 2019.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with most of what you say, but nothing is going to change. Tomlin will get a pass this year with injuries as an excuse. His seat is nowhere near hot. Tomlin will coach for the Steelers until he's ready to move on. I wish he would join Cowher on the CBS crew.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or Boswell makes his FGs last year, then the team is in the playoffs.

3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Keep dreaming :roflmao:

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    TLDR zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :lolol:

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Too lazy didn't read? Or perhaps the facts are just too inconvenient for you to acknowledge?

6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Knox!

Tremendously done! Tremendously done! :applaud:

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

7. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Context is everything.

For example, you point out his 17-20 road record vs sub -.500 teams since '12. I honestly don't know how that compares to other coaches in the league. Gruden just got his butt kicked every which way to next Christmas by the Jets, for example. The 6-2 Bills lost to the then 2-6 Browns on the road earlier this season. The Saints lost to the Falcons, at home no less. I'm not saying 17-20 isn't bad because for all I know it may be really bad. It also may not be that bad. I just don't know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Those are single games, not a consistent pattern like what we have with Tomlin. His teams often seem unprepared at the start of games, especially against weaker opposition. Tomlin's record against sub-.500 teams is unacceptable.

I'm surprised Heinz wrote that the jury is still out on Butler. It isn't. He has been terrible for years. This defense still has issues with communication breakdowns and huge openings over the middle, problems that have been there since he took over. Sometimes, talent manages to show results even without good coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    And how many "single games" are out there?

All I'm asking for is some benchmarking which I've never seen.

10. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Stick around this board and you'll find that there's a lot more where that came from.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    What?

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Being a lawyer, we wouldn't expect you to understand common sense, but we will hope you can someday make a post that makes sense.

13. Steeler dane

Steeler dane Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    You say Tomlin can't beat the top "teams" but you only bring up the Pats who destroyed everyone over that time period, so if you say Tomlin sucks compared to Belachick fine, but compared to any other current coach he stacks up great.

You stated he as a 17-20 record against losing teams on the road but don't mention is overall record since 2010 is 100-54 and 45-31 on the road. That stacks up against any coach not named Belichick. Hardly mediocre and those are the facts. Also your so called facts are incorrect their playoff record this current decade is 5-6.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    He is good at getting the best out of practice squad players because they love him. He just can't get much out of talented players because they know he doesn't hold anyone accountable.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I honestly don't get how people make these statements in a vacuum.

If you and I were each handed $1,000,000 at the age of 15 and at the age of 18 you had $2,000,000 in the bank and I had $50,000 in the bank, what would you say to the people who think I am a good money manager because I have $50,000 in the bank at the age of 18?

16. Steeler dane

Apr 28, 2019
    So if his record against sub .500 teams ( which I'm sure you have no idea what it is) is so bad how is his overall record so good? He must be cleaning up on the good teams.

17. Steeler dane

Apr 28, 2019
    Sorry but that makes no sense with Tomlins very impressive record which happens to be better than cowhers if thats what you're implying.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You're missing the point. While Tomlin's record may look acceptable on the surface, without looking at the underlying facts, when you realize what he has had to work with, it's deplorable!

Cowher often made a silk purse out of a sows ear, Tomlin has often made a sows ear out of a silk purse.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    it was on the thread. Please don’t make assumptions about people just because you don’t line their opinions.

The issue is wasted opportunities. Tomlin has had teams miss the playoffs entirely or end up with lower seeds because he can’t seem to get his guys ready consistently for weaker opponents.

What you may be forgetting is that until this season, Tomlin has had the advantage of a Hall of Fame quarterback his entire time as a head coach. He also wasn’t the coach who drafted and developed that quarterback.

To be fair, for those making the comparison to Cowher, he supposedly did not want Roethlisberger. He wanted Rivers.

20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    In the current decade. The decade started in 2011 and goes to 2020, no? Either way, that is the time frame I was referencing. Also feel free to post data to refute that tomlin is not mediocre.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't think it is a good road record against sub .500 teams. Do you have any data that says it is good?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  22. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    You are going to keep beating this horse until it’s dead but your point will remain untimely.
    And frankly you are making the opposing point since Tomlin is clearly making a silk purse out of the sow’s ear that is this year’s offensive line-up. Even a lawyer can see that. What’s your excuse for not seeing it?

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Cowher wanted to draft a OL, I think he liked Stacy Andrews who the Eagles drafted later on.

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Context is everything. There are many data points to support Tomlins failures coaching a team with well above average talent. Here are few that support Tomlins mediocrity and why he isn't a champion. Like I said, I don't celebrate mediocrity and don't accept apologies and excuses for underachieving.

Tomlin has a Superbowl ring as a HC so he is a champion.

Tomlin can't beat the top teams consistently. Case in point is Tomlins record against the patsies is 3-8. Average margin of victory in his 3 wins is 12 points. Average margin of victory for pats against Tomlin is 16 points.

Keep moving the goal post.

Tomlin plays down to opponents particularly on the road. Case in point,Tomlins record against .500 or less teams on the road is 17-20 since 2012. I stopped at 2012 because I got too depressed. This includes 0-3 against the raiders on the road. Bonus, tomlin is only 2-6 against the raiders which includes a loss to them at home. For reference, the raiders have sucked balls with only 1 winning season (2016) during Tomlins time as steelers head coach. And guess what, they have owned Tomlin. Tell me again how that isn't playing down to the competition?

Again Tomlin doesn't play in the games. You probably stopped because it doesn't support your position. LMAO

Tomlins career playoff record leading the Steelers is average at best at 8-7. This includes 4 seasons that he didn't even make the postseason and this year will likely be the 5th. And 4 times he went 1 and done in the postseason.

It's still a major accomplishment in this era that the team was able to make the playoffs 8-12 seasons. Not many teams can make that claim.

In the current decade, with a future HOF QB, all pro WRs, great RBs, his playoff record is 3-5 with 4 years not making postseason and 3 years 1 and done. That is not even mediocre.

3 players that played together in the postseason 1 out of 4 post seasons. It takes a team effort to win in the playoffs.

Tomlin is terrible at clock management and challenges. I dont know what stats to back up the clock management, so I'll go with the eye test on that one. For challenges, he is 34 for 76 or 44%. The past 3 seasons he is 3 for 15 or 20%. This includes 2018 and 2017 where he was 0 for 9. This isn't even mediocre, it is straight up hot garbage.

Plenty of times clock management was on point. Maybe you left the room or changed the channel during those times? Sometimes Tomlin makes the wrong decision. Hey no one is perfect.

Different factors go into clock management decisions and the use of challenges. Just because some would handle the clock management decisions and challenges differently doesn't mean Tomlin was incorrect in his decision making. There isn't a book because there are usually different factors involved in the decision making process. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean Tomlin isn't a good coach.

People make way to much of the use of challenges. Coaches have very little time to "review" a play to make a decision. So they make a quick decision in a matter of seconds(FYI - That's the time before the next play begins). The refs don't even get the decision correct on review. It's "ok' keep making a big deal out of challenges. LMAO. Coaches don't have the same luxury as fans to review the play over and over before making a decision.

These are facts, not just my opinion. Tomlin is a mediocre coach and he gets mediocre results. I want Tomlin gone because I'm not satisfied with mediocre and you shouldnt be either. He has done a decent job coaching this season through a crap ton of injuries, I'll give him that. But he does just enough to reel his supporters back in only to let them down again. Tomlin has underachieved since the last SB appearance with outstanding talent on the roster. That is a decade of underachieving. That would get most HCs fired. But Tomlin is still trading on memories of SB appearances that are 10 years old.

It isn't a fact that Tomlin is a mediocre coach. Unfortunately, you can't see that he's been better than mediocre. Success isn't only measured by Supberbowl wins.

Every team that thought they had "the next best thing" are finding out how difficult it is to maintain a consistent level of success regardless of the talent they have. Making the playoffs and competing for the Supberbowl is a positive accomplishment even if teams fall short of winning the Superbowl. Consistently winning is a difficult accomplishment that some of you take for granted.

It's extremely difficult to put together a consistent winner. A lot of great and proud franchises found that out. It's ashame some of you can't appreciate what you had and have right now. It can all be gone tomorrow and for many many years.

Sorry for the long post, but you Tomlin apologists asked for it. You want facts to back up his mediocrity? There ya go.

I am not an apologist. The organization understands that Tomlin is a good coach. I understand that Tomlin is a good coach. Is he a great coach? Not yet. His story is still being written. When his coaching career is all said and done who knows where he will find himself in the landscape of coaches?

He proved that he can help the organization win a lot of games, make the playoffs, and win the Superbowl. As a fan I know it's extremely difficult to win the Superbowl. So I will just have to settle for winning games and making the playoffs until the organization can put together another Superbowl winner.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Your reponse is totally lacking anything of substance, just excuses and apologies for Tomlin's mediocrity. Nice try though.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1