1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How to approach this week (QB Situation)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Nov 25, 2019.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You split 1st team reps between Mason and Duck. You let Mason start and get his chance at revenge. If it's more of the same we've seen the last 4 games then you go to Duck. I give Mason 3 possessions or 1 quarter.

There you go Tomlin. I did your job for you.

Sidenote - Last game, I said you give Mason one more possession to start 2nd half and if more of the same you go to Duck. Exactly what Tomlin did and it worked.

• Disagree Disagree x 11
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    A two QB system a la New York Jets circa early 2010s?!

:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's not a two QB system. You are giving them both equal preparation because Mason hasn't shown he can get it done. Ideally Mason turns it around and we don't have to go back to Duck but I don't see that happening. Are season is on the line. No more time to baby Mason. If he's doing nothing in 1st quarter against Browns then I go to Duck until we are out of playoff contention.

4. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I just feel like Mason Rudolph is still struggling from his concussion and, now, the issue against Cleveland. I just don't see how you can put him on the field against them again so soon. Duck was clearly the more decisive QB yesterday.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Mason is mentally and physically done. Needs a whole off season of work and preparation just to hope he can play ok.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Mason just looks off.. Especially since the concussion.. he just doesn't look like himself nor does he play like a decent QB...
    Duck came in, bobbled a snap or two, but threw a TD, was mobile.. looked more polished than mason has

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Oh this is even an option? I'm cool with that. I don't see Tomlin doing that. I was just trying compromise before Mason blew the season.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not against the thought process and if it was anyone but Cleveland I would agree. In this case though with MR already being a mental wreck it won’t help to be looking over his shoulder as well. I think Hodges should get the start this week and make it his game to win or lose. The last thing MR needs right now is reliving his nightmare so soon.
    I would say if Hodges is really bad I wouldn’t totally dismiss putting MR back out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Why is everybody using this excuse? Him and the Steelers wanted to rush him back so bad. I was fine with continuing to play Duck. He looked fine against the Ravens and Chargers. There was no need to rush Mason back. I blame Mason and Steelers for that.

10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Start Hodges....... He is more mobile than Mason and our OL can’t protect and you know the Browns will come after Mason not to win but I believe they’ll try to take him out just like the Bengals tried to do!!!

Cajun

11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Regardless of who starts, I’d like to see Fichtner move the pocket around occasionally. Our QB is always in the exact same spot. Duck seems to sidestep pressure better, but Mason often looks stuck. Move it around a bit, so the D can’t just tee off on the same location over and over.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Again,

:facepalm:

13. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Mason looked off from day 1 as a starting QB... When he played in college, he was known for his big arm, putting up massive #s.. I mean yes I know the NFL is wayy different then the Big 12 or College football, but not sure if its the plays they are allowing him to run, but he just doesn't look good in general.. When Duck came in, he just looks more comfortable as a passer, playing under center. In the Baltimore Game, he came in without any practice that week and kept us in the game/took the #2 team to OT.. not to mention went 7/9 passing... The Chargers game.. went 15/20 passing... yesterday he did have a below avg passing day (5/11) but he was our only offensive touchdown..Hell, he's thrown a TD in every game he's played in (other than Baltimore).. He can move around and I think we are better positioned to have him play then MR..
    As for who's to blame.. I don't think we should blame MR... but more blame to MT..

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    I'll play QB

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yes, and some of the Browns players are going to believe Garrett's ridiculous claim of racism and try their best to injure Rudolph. Just let him sit against the Browns and go with Hodges.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Let Hodges start, I have seen enough of Rudolph struggling to get anything going on offense.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I remember the Giants doing that.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hodges did look good coming off the bench against the Ravens, but he did next to nothing against the Chargers. The Steelers did everything they could to minimize the quarterback's impact on that game. He threw down the field twice all game. The first one, he badly underthrew a ball that fell incomplete when Smith-Schuster had beaten his guy deep down the sideline. The second time was an interception.

I don't think splitting the reps makes sense at all. Pick a starter and get him ready to play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    God no!!!!!!!!!! If they haven't learned yet that MR simply isn't ready for the NFL what the hell does revenge have to do with it?

If MR starts, I boycott!

20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'll bet the NFL has been talking to both teams already and will continue to do so. I expect hard play but no extra curricular stuff until someone loses their cool and if that happens, Katey bar the door!

21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think yinz are in for a rude awakening if you don't think there's a high chance MR starts this game. They gave up a 1st with him as a starter. If there's one ounce of competitiveness inside him he's going to be begging to play this game. He's the QB of the future right? Not giving him this chance could lose him for year/forever. I'm trying to cover all our basis and give him one last chance and see how he responds in the face of adversity. While giving Duck the proper preparation because there's a very good chance we are going to need him. But I've only won coach of the year 4 years in a row.

22. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    How many chances do you give him? Hes straight up not good. Hes not having a bad stretch. Hes having a bad career.

• YDS
    • TD
    • INT
    • QBR
      32nd

Theres only 32 teams in the league by the way lol

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It shouldn't take 1 1/2 games, let alone 1 1/2 years, to know you can't throw off your back foot, and NFL WR's are fast so you have to lead them.

Starting him again is just plain stupid! That being said, how many picks will he have before they pull him this week?:smiley1:

24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    THIS!

And after Duck's first series, the bungles had to play a bit more honest. Guess what that led to? Snell finding some daylight and our running game actually being a factor. I don't care about Duck's numbers, or even Mason's for that matter. The OL sucks and can't provide enough protection for numbers to reflect qb performance. What does reflect qb performance right now is decision making and command of the offense. Duck has it. Mason doesn't.

QUACK QUACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Just give Hodges the start and give him QB1 reps.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1