1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck finally

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dynamic Dennis, Nov 24, 2019.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    The same "he is young, has only started a handful of games, and this is his firest season as a starter" also applies to Duck. Why doesn't Duck suffer because of the same supposed pitfalls? Why doesn't he get the same excuses extended to him? MR isn't performing as well under the same circumstances even though he has had more work with the offense and more time under center. I truly believe that MR isn't a waste of a roster spot, but right now he isn't performing up to the level he is capable of.

2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Agree with some, not all.

First, Duck didn't knock anyone out. Dude hit him and hurt his shoulder. The ground did the damage, not Duck.

Rudolph didn't impress me in preseason. He looked the best of the qb's under Ben. That's all. He definitely didn't impress me during his first start or any thereafter. He came back after the concussion and looked exactly like the pre-scrambled qb.

And yes, he does look like a good kid who needs to put this season behind him and work on mechanics and healing. With the right work, he could come back next season and compete for a #2 job or even #1 if Ben isn't Ben anymore.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Duck will get first team reps...blah, blah, blah....:facepalm:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Man you had a lot invested in Rudolph :lolol:

Optimist Hines was fun while it lasted!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm convinced Steelers do not have a legitimate QB going forward.

Ben at 38 with gimp elbow...nope.

Rudolph with damaged psyche....nope.

Duck....UDFA....nope.

Lynch....track record sucks and he won't have any RB, WR or O line help....nope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  7. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    True.

Although I'll disagree with the damaged psyche bit. MR is just flat out not good enough. Even when the team was winning with him it was in spite of his play. His average arm strength, way below average accuracy, tentative decision making, and inability to throw the ball more than 10 yds downfield were all evident from his first start.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    At this point the team needs in the very least a game manager. I think either or offers more in that area than what we've had in the past but that statement can get messy as the whole damn O, coordinator, and injury bug is all mosh pitting at the same time and leave the opinion open to further scrutiny.

We have a current FO that panders to peeps far beyond OUR eyeball tests and have for quite a bit. Terry Bradshaw anyone? How many times has Ben's head been called for? Conversation has stayed fluent within every option we've had over the years after good games or not.

I don't know if Mason or Duck are the furture but I'll give either a bit more O time before it becomes OBVIOUS! This team has hung onto many under performing positions and most recently Bud and we're all on the fence of whether to pay for him... They ain't getting no hometown homie love by the way when that happens nor should they as that is how the spokes roll these days! They can't draft the best QB available off of the board this year no how and no guarantee that that dude would pan out anyhow.

I really look at things like this... Our coaches fail multiple positions and do so with the more magnified picks. The teams scheme sucks on both sides of the ball and it is what it is... However, year after year they give you hope at times and that's what is cool about being a fan. Even when you know ultimately that the train ain't going nowhere in the dance... Maybe it could?

I'll root for em either way... Happy Tomlin brought in duck today cause it e dead in a W. I wanted that at the half last week but it didn't happen. I truly believe at times a minor personnel change can cause a spark mad it dont have to be a controversy, it just needs to help win the day after a day of non adjustments or repetitive failure... It's called a SPARK and sometimes the spark can ignite an inferno.

Letsgo STEELERS!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I think we have to give Duck more of an audition before we write him off. With starter talent around him, perhaps he could be Drew Brees.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not without a offensive head coach. Someone to scheme his strengths.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Yeah this. Mason didn’t lose anything. He never had anything to start with. He’s looked exactly what he truly is, a backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Landry Jones 2.0.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I don’t think you can judge any QB in this offensive system unless there is a qb like Ben who extends and makes things up on the fly. Who knows what any of these guys would do with a half way decent coordinator. I don’t think this system does anybody any favors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    never thought I would miss O'donell but there ya go

15. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Hopefully this season reminds fans how much to appreciate Ben. Last year when Ben had an off game, people were calling to have him benched in favor of Dobbs because Dobbs made one nice pass from the end zone against the Bengals. There won't be another like Ben when he's gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey The Glory Days. You know me and my long posts. So be prepared (smile).

I am partially with you on this for sure. I will extend some of the same reasons to Duck. No problems there. Here is the fork in the road though. Prior to the Brown's game, I thought that Mason was performing admirably. He really was if you look up his stats. Now you would think that the more playing time that Mason got under his belt he would continue to improve. This being the case with anyone at any job.

Unfortunately, improvement does not always parallel with more playing time. In theory, it probably should. Now the Brown's game, and we are left scratching our heads. One possible reason. Just one now. The three prior games were all home games. Huge difference than going on the road to a hostile hungry divisional rival's place. Leaving the comfort zone of "Home" may have upset the proverbial "Apple Cart" for Mason. Just speculation.

I honestly did not watch today's game. Mason's stats today. Very mediocre. 8/16 85 yards 0 TD 1 Int. The pick did look like he was under pressure. However, it is what it is so I am not going to make excuses. Duck's stat line. Also mediocre but a little better. 5/11 118 yards 1 TD 0 Int. From what I see here, and the highlights, he neither set the world on fire. Thank goodness though for that TD. I would need to see more playing time from Duck to make a fair assessment as I compare the two.

Personally, right now, both are very raw and unseasoned. What I do like and maybe I am putting too much credence in is that both had outstanding collegiate careers which I hope transfers into great Pro careers, for us.

I know that I have not directly answered your question yet. Here it is. One, Mason has more of a body of work to work with here and provide us all with more concrete data. Two, teams now have more film on Mason which definitely helps those team's better prepare for him. Three, the biggest one is the old adage "Apples and Oranges". Everyone, no matter what the job is in life, just progress at different rates. Some folks progression is nice and "linear" and others looks like an irregular heartbeat. I need to see more out of Duck to make a fair assessment on him. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think instead of saying overall, I would just call out our offense. Yes, it is so bad it makes us suck overall. However, we are that "on any given Sunday" team for sure if the defense sets up two or more scores we could upset a good team IMO. A potential huge positive would be if somehow Duck is a quick learner and we see fast improvement in the offense. It would be a great story if that happened. At least we have a little hope in the remainder of the season.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Division 3, isnt that just a step above high school, talent wise?

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Samford isn't Division 3. It's division 1-AA I think, or Division 1 subdivision or something.

20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think, if nothing else, Duck's mobility makes a difference. He knows when to get out of the pocket to buy his wr's a couple extra seconds, and allows him clean throwing lanes. And obviously he's a threat to run a bit.

Mason, has zero pocket awareness. Doesn't escape to buy time. Is no threat to run.

With the OL not playing great, those things alone give him an edge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Its a little early to crown hodges since we havent seen anything but a small sample of his playing ability, have to see a lot more before I can rate him any higher than a undrafted fill in because he is as raw as they come.....

22. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

LOL!!!! I Love it!!!

Cajun

23. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018

He’s still better than Mason. Doesn’t matter what talents or strengths either have. Duck has something that trumps mason. He doesn’t look scared out there. Mason looks scared and unsure.

24. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would challenge any Steeler Fans to bring Duck call whistles to the game!!!! When Duck connects for a score let them rip!!! quack,quack,quack:herewego!:

25. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I disagree as long as the Steelers take care of the ball and don't turn it over and take what the Defense gives them they will prevail got my money on the home team!!! This game is not going to be as chippey at first as folks expect they will keep it cool as the game goes on it will get interesting!! Go Steelers!!!