1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Omg both of you lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah I know, I gave him what he wanted, an argument over Dobbs.

We've only debated this 9 million times :facepalm:

One day I'll be able to make a post about Dobbs without him badgering me about it... not!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The college resume absolutely matters when you are judging guys with a limited pro resume, but that is far from the only evidence I provided. The best part is you claiming something is irrelevant, then arguing about it.

Of course, you complain that I'm only repeating my opinion, then respond with "blah, blah, irrelevant" when I bury your point in facts.

Where do you get this idea that I'm bent out of shape? You are the one who made this discussion personal, not me. I'm just making my point and I'm the one doing it without resorting to ad hominem attacks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What I want is to have a reasonable discussion of a relevant point without it devolving into personal attacks. What you seem to want is to be able to write anything you want about the greatness of Joshua Dobbs without anybody challenging your point. If that's unfair, I apologize. That's just my takeaway from this post and this entire discussion.

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Went away from this thread for a couple days, but I see the master-debater is still at it. Give it a rest FFS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Was just on PFF, you were close, he's made 5 big time throws and 15 turnover worthy plays..

No doubt in my mind Dobbs would be doing better than this. Since he's not here, they should be trying either Duck or Paxton.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It really is amazing that anybody can have no doubt about something even though that opinion runs counter to almost all of the available evidence.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm also not sure I get the people pushing for Lynch to get a shot. He wasn't good with the Broncos and he hasn't thrown a pass in a game since 2017. Is it just pure desperation because Rudolph played horribly under horrible circumstances?

The time to go to Hodges was halftime in Cleveland. With lousy protection, Conner out of the game and the receiving corps dwindling, Rudolph was having a terrible night. Maybe Hodges could have given them a spark the same way he did against the Ravens. That was worth a shot. Once they made a decision to stick with Rudolph through all that awfulness, it seemed as if they weren't going to let one game change their minds on the quarterback situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Paxton Lynch 'had' a good arm, but that's about it. I can't imagine his game improved by not playing.

I don't agree with pulling the starter at halftime of a 2 score game, unless there's a QB competition going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is fair. Hodges had shown an ability to provide a spark coming off the bench, though sometimes that can be a defense being slow to adjust to a change. I just thought it was clear that Rudolph didn't have it Thursday night.

11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Mason had a rough second half, but he was able to pull the score within a touchdown late in the 3rd (with flag help). At that point they had to go with him (imo), but pulling him late in the 4th would have avoided the mess at the end.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

You really want to have a laugh go back to the DOBBS TRADED thread and read how many were high on Mason and were fine with Dobbs being traded. You may even find a comment saying he is our future.........but here we are talking about Dobbs being better. Time to move on let's worry about the Bungals and not a player no longer here. jmo

15. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I just don't know how anyone can fairly evaluate Rudolph given the train wreck that is the rest of the offense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Who? ....lol

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How dare you bring logic and reason to this discussion!

Don't you know that Dobbs would be competing for league MVP in this offense! Hodges and Lynch would be bound for the Pro Bowl at least!

18. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You can't evaluate his performance as it relates to the performance of the offense as a whole.

But you can evaluate him based on his 4 years of college. He performed at the highest level in college. He was the best senior qb in all of college two years ago. His teammate then and now was the best receiver in college his senior year as well. Those things don't happen if he can't throw accurately. Those things also don't happen if he doesn't have the arm strength and touch to throw the deep ball.

He isn't performing up to the standards he set and demonstrated during college. Those standards were more than enough for fans to feel excited about him being drafted. At that point, he had proven the ability to do the things necessary to compete at this level. Reading defenses and tuning in to receivers can come in time, but bringing the skillset that got you drafted in the first place can't be waited on, regardless of the trainwreck offense surrounding him.

19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Man did you get the ball rolling about our QB situation with this thread:) 500 plus replies and depending how last 6 games play out (not counting playoffs;+)) this baby could stay on first page.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok, these stats on NFL.com are very surprising: Rudolph has better stats than Brady over their past 7 games:

Passer rating: MR 82.1 TB 80.6
    Completion %: MR 62.3 TB 62.2
    MR 10 TDs & 7 ints; TB 7 TDs & 5 ints

I guess we’ve got a second future HOF QB on our roster!

• Informative Informative x 2
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't remember what I said exactly but I do know I was one of the people that felt Rudolph could be the future. Calling for him to take a seat doesn't necessarily change that but I want to make the playoffs too and not confident he can get us there this year.

I wish they had kept Dobbs, I don't know how anyone can look at Rudolphs performance and not feel a change could be helpful. No one has ever claimed Dobbs is the best ever, I see Scribe pushing that false narrative and just proof that he never engaged me in good faith and has been looking for a fight all along.

Dobbs isn't here though and you have depth for a reason, sometimes for injuries or sometimes for ineffectiveness. Rudolph has certainly been ineffective.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This is a good post. I haven't been on here in a while. I'm a bit surprised more aren't carrying the Mason pitch forks.

Mason is showing very limited ability to throw anything more than dump offs to the running back on many occasions. Sad to say I picked up Jaylen Samuels of all people for my fantasy league for the simple fact I know the guy is having a billion balls coming his way.

Why?

Is it because Fichtner is designing running back as the primary option? No. So Mason is CHOOSING to throw to the checkdown. Does our WR core suck so bad no one ever gets open?

Or is Mason simply missing the read? Is the game too fast for him?

He is still is very young playing in this league, but sadly this performance is largely on him. I'm not throwing pitchforks or saying he can't play in this league.

He just looks very green. He as well as Washington look to have zero confidence. Both looked like all stars in little league but are struggling with the big league.

We'll see I'm optomistic. Is Mason the future at QB? Maybe or maybe not. I'd draft another QB high and let them duke it out. He certainly isn't presenting himself right now as the solution at QB.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You attacked me repeatedly and you think that was fine. I make one joke using green font and you falsely claim that is evidence I wasn’t engaging in good faith? That is some serious :bscow:

I don’t know how anybody could read that post of mine and think I was being serious.

I argued the topic every step of the way.

It is funny how many if the folks complaining about the lack of an experienced backup now are the same ones who insited the team should dump its veteran backup for a guy who hadn’t played last season.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes you did and you also said Mason out performed Dobbs in pre season, but how can you say you know for certain Dobbs would be doing better now if you said these other two things? I felt just like you did and even agreed with you earlier in this thread but after seeing others points and thinking about it I am not ready to sit Mason. Take a look at this offense Mason is getting zero help....zero. The dropped passes are horrible and 2 of his first 4 int's were balls right in hands of the wr's(juju & DJ). Not to mention the fact that Fitch stinks. Did Mason have a bad game heck yeah but everyone has them, Ben threw 5 picks and talked about retirement.

All I am saying is if Mason is thought to be a future QB for us then he needs all the playing time he can get this year so the Steelers can evaluate their next move. Ben is at the end and may not come back from this injury so we need to know if Mason has it or if we need to draft another prospect. I think we are being a little hard on Mason with what he has around him, Holton and Jones are hardly household names.

FYI here is what you said about him:

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah so? Have we not gotten new information since that comment? I’m not one of those rigid people who never changes his opinion, I get new information and form new opinions based off of them.

Rudolph is playing bad, try someone else. Doesn’t have to be anymore complicated than that.

Ben is coming back next season, if he wasn’t, I could see the urgency to find out now what they have in Rudolph but since they are still in a playoff hunt they have to factor that in too.

Edit: Wanted to come back and add more to this, was at work before typing on my phone.

Seems like you misunderstood part of my post you that re-posted. I never said I agreed with them choosing Rudolph over Dobbs, only that I felt Rudolph could be successful as well and that the Steelers were all in on him. I even said I preferred if they didn't put all their eggs in one basket.

I was always a Dobbs fan and he would have been my choice to be the QB backing Ben up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.