1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Again, to the both of you. I am by no means defending Mason's performance on Thursday at all. For that matter, not once have I said Mason has been flawless up to this point. Some of those passes that turned into INTs were god awful. Some of those passes that were not doubly so. It has been quite the learning experience for him as he is still a rookie.

All I am stating is that these games happen for everyone. In addition, I myself will not be opposed to benching him should his performance continue against Cincy. That said, we will have to hear before Thursdsy if that is going to be the case as Paxton Lynch being called up could imply that might just happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Was watching mason highlights from preseason again. Looked decisive, he was rolling out of the pocket and was hitting bombs. Still had some wtf throws though.

his football looks very slow compared to bens on screen

3. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I think he’s trying too hard and it’s mental right now

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    3 preseasons > than 2

Athletic ability > than statue

They made a mistake letting Dobbs go, they could have turned to him now and let Rudolph regroup.

5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    They also had twice or three times as many great games as they did these awful games.

I'm still waiting for the first MR game that I wasn't pulling my hair out the whole game. I realize he's had limited starts but has there been one that wasn't one of the most frustrating games you've ever seen?

Every game is pure agony, win or lose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014

Dump off
    Wtf throw
    Dump off
    Tipped pass
    Long ball 5 yards off
    Short pass that WR had to stretch out
    Dump off
    Safety
    Beautiful pass
    Int
    Lol

just want to say I bash everyone but yes I feel mason will do better vs cincy... I hope

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe the hits are taking a toll on Mason. He seems to becoming less effective and worse every week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Considering that everyone does better against Cinncy, you may have called it right there Nostradamus.:lolol:

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    1. I’m not overreacting to one game. It’s the cumulative effect of multiple games. As I mentioned earlier in this thread or another thread, the absence of good plays to balance out the mistakes is concerning. PFF uses a couple of metrics called “big time throws” and “turnover worthy throws” when calculating their QB ratings. While I’m not a big PFF fan, I strongly agree with the importance of these two qualitative metrics. A QB needs to make big time throws upon occasion to be effective. How many big time throws has Mason made? I’m struggling to remember more than 3 or 4 so far this season. There have been plenty of turnover worthy throws. He’s actually been very fortunate on a number of overthrown passes over the middle, and passes thrown behind receivers on crossing routes. In Cleveland the poor throws caught up with him - but they were there all season. In the preseason, and in his early regular season action, he avoided those throws, but they’ve been on the rise since the Ravens game. Really, they’ve been on the rise since he started throwing more than check downs and occasional bombs.
    2. Don’t misinterpret my earlier post as saying that Dobbs can be a successful starter in the NFL. I think that’s highly unlikely. However he may be the better fit at QB for the current situation. While he makes his share of mistakes, he also makes his share of big time throws. Remember his other regular season appearance? He only had to throw the ball once, but that throw was definitely a big time throw. It was better than any throw that I’ve seen Mason make. Also, Dobbs adds the element of mobility. While he’s not going to turn into Lamar Jackson, he will force the defense to account for him as a runner in the passing game. That could be enough of a shot in the arm to get points on an additional drive or two per game. I’m looking at Dobbs as a guy that gives us a puncher’s chance down the stretch.

I think it’s unlikely that either guy is on an NFL roster 3 years from now. Of the two, I’d give Rudolph better odds. If he can get his head on straight and fix his mechanics, he has a chance to at least be a quality backup for the long term. However, he is currently regressing, and I don’t have confidence that his flaws are going to be fixed while he has to prepare for a game every week. I think he needs an offseason to regroup.

That’s my view anyway. We’ll never know whether I’m right because Dobbs isn’t coming back. I hope Rudolph gets things going and proves me wrong, because that’s our only realistic chance of playing in January.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dobbs regressed in that third preseason while Rudolph improved significantly in his second.

Much of this is subjective. The only factual error was the claim that Rudolph came in after in the preseason games. Rudolph started one and preceded Dobbs in another.

Your entire claim is based on guesswork. You are the one claiming that we haven’t seen enough of Dobbs in the regular season to form any kind of judgment.

11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Chris Simms just blasted MR on ProFootball Talk.

Picked him as his second goat of the week. Called the interceptions "egregious", said his pass into a "mosh pit" of Brown defenders got JuJu concussed, said winning with Rudolph starting is "unsustainable". Called for a QB change.

TIFWIW.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Chris Simms would know all about throwing egregious interceptions.

Rudolph should have been pulled at halftime Thursday. Then you go back to him unless Hodges does something truly special. If they were going to stick with Rudolph all through that atrocity, they aren't going to make a switch now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    :lollmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, much of what transpires on a message board is guess work and opinions. Just like your claim that Landry would have fared better than Dobbs in Oakland yet you try to pass it off as factual.

It’s my opinion that Dobbs would be doing better than Rudolph. Get over it.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I actually backed that opinion with facts, such as his track record in previous appearances with the Steelers. You are backing your opinion with nothing but more opinion.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL thank you for proving my point. Your “factual” backing amounts to squat, it’s still just your opinion and you have no idea if Landry would have performed better. You can’t grasp that.

And I have actually backed up my opinion more substantialy than you have, I have stated many times that I feel Dobbs athleticism would be helpful and give him a better chance. The whole knock against Dobbs was his accuracy, well Rudolph is inaccurate and immobile.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I offered an opinion backed by facts. You offered an opinion backed by more opinion. No, you haven't backed up your opinion with more than I have. Restating your same opinion over and over again does not quality as backing it up with more.

Under similar circumstances, in preseason games, Rudolph has been far more accurate than Dobbs. That is the apples-to-apples comparison. The rest is you relying on opinion or misrepresentation of the facts.

Edited to keep the focus where it belongs.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Mason Rudolph's career completion percentage in the NFL is 62.3 percent. That is all this season, without Antonio Brown and with an offensive line that everybody seems to say isn't playing as well as it did last year.

Joshua Dobbs's career completion percentage in the NFL is 50.0 percent. That is all last season, when he had Antonio Brown leading a superior receiving corps and the offensive line was playing better.

We could focus on preseason numbers from this year, when both were given similar opportunities, but I don't think Blast would like how those numbers turn out for his side of the discussion.

Do I dismiss the notion that Dobbs's athletic ability might help? Of course not, but the available evidence shows that Rudolph is far superior as a passer based on what both showed in college, in the preseason as pros and in the regular season as pros. Based on that evidence, the passing game would be even worse with Dobbs at quarterback.

If anybody thinks defenses are cheating up now, imagine how much they could do that with an even worse passing game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Bradshaw's completion percentage was 38.1% in his first season. Imagine if there was an internet then.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Steelers should have kept Dobbs, but used him as a receiver. Problems solved.:guitarplayer:

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/pitts...n=2019&week=300&category=PASSING&opp=0&page=1

Here is a link to the Steelers' 2019 preseason statistics. This is the best apples-to-apples comparison of Rudolph and Dobbs.

Rudolph completed 65.1% of his passes, 28 of 43, for 368 yards, four touchdowns and one interception. He averaged 8.6 yards per attempt and had a QBR of 113.3.

Dobbs completed 54.5% of his passes, 18 of 33, for 280 yards, 0 touchdowns and two interceptions. He averaged 8.5 yards per attempt and had a QBR of 57.6.

Sure, based on that they only went with Rudolph because he is supposed to be the guy. :facepalm:

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Likewise.

The part you are struggling with is that your "fact" based opinion still does not make you clairvoyant and able to declare that Landry Jones would have performed better than Dobbs during the Raiders game. It is still nothing more than your opinion.

And by the way, it is a fact that Dobbs is more athletic than Rudolph. All one has to do is apply a little common sense to see how that would benefit the Steelers right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I acknowledged his athleticism. It is your opinion that his athleticism somehow makes up for him being far worse as a passer. Apparently, you forgot the lessons of watching Dennis Dixon. By the way, like Rudolph, Dixon was a much better college quarterback than Dobbs, Think about how that worked out. Perhaps that is where you should apply your common sense.

Every shred of evidence points to Dobbs being worse as a passer than Rudolph and it isn't close. So maybe he could rip off a decent run or two at the expense of the passing game. Everything we've seen of Dobbs is that he is less accurate than Rudolph and more turnover-prone. We saw that act last year against the Raiders. How did that work out again?

Let's be clear here. I went back and found even more statistical data to support my side. I responded to your opinion with facts, not just restating the same opinion over again. You keep trying to drag this into another discussion, allowing Dobbs to be No. 2 and fail in his only extended playing time last season. Perhaps you should try sticking to this discussion. In this discussion, you stated that Rudolph followed Dobbs the entire preseason, which was inaccurate. Rudolph started one preseason game and he entered the one Roethlisberger started ahead of Dobbs.

When you compare their regular-season statistics, Rudolph is better. When you look at completion percentage, he is more accurate. When you compare their work this preseason, Rudolph clearly comes out on top again. The evidence works strongly against your claim that Dobbs is more accurate than Rudolph. This isn't to say that Rudolph's accuracy is good. It isn't, but the evidence points to Dobbs being even worse.

You also claimed that the team was pushing Rudolph as the guy and that's the only reason he got the No. 2 job. The preseason numbers, compiled while both saw time against starters and backups, clearly shows that isn't the case. Rudolph was much better than Dobbs this preseason.

Let's address the other point, your claim that the Steelers made a mistake in not keeping Dobbs. At no point has Dobbs shown he can be an NFL starter. Perhaps having him as an option right now would be a good thing, but that assumes the Steelers knew they would lose Roethlisberger for the season. Do you really think they knew the elbow injury was going to get that bad when they traded Dobbs? Or were they supposed to be clairvoyant and see the injury coming? Did you even argue against the Dobbs trade when they made it? I honestly don't remember what you said about it at the time, if anything. I asked once, but if you responded, I missed it.

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Wow! You've gotta REALLY suck if Chris Simms calls you bad!

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Blah blah blah, lets make a long winded irrelevant post so people think I have something worth while to say and try and spin the conversation away from his original point.

Then fill it up with meaningless stats in an attempt to again make it look like I have something worthwhile to say.

By the way, Dobbs played in the Sec which is much tougher competition than Rudolph faced. Not that anything that they did in college matters. If only thats all it took to predict successful players in the pros :rolleyes:

To bring this back to what I first stated in my OP, I feel that the Steelers would benefit from Dobbs ability to make plays with his legs. Rudolphs accuracy now is all that matters, not all that dung you posted and right now Rudolphs accuracy is worse than anything I ever saw from Dobbs. You're entitled not to agree with that but that doesn't make you right. You shouldn't get so bent out of shape about other peoples opinions. The Dobbs topic clearly gets under your skin.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.