1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Future bright or dim?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Nov 18, 2019.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    With our current defense being top 5 (points per drive) and top 5 in takeaways, with Ben returning next year maybe we can do some damage and make a run?

IMO we need:

#1 WR
    A running back that doesnt get hurt every other snap
    maybe a TE
    someone to replace bud/hargrave or both.

Not sure what we can address with the draft but maybe things aren't so grim?

I am not conceding the season just yet but I need a safety net in case things go south fast lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry for the defeatist attitude, and maybe my hearing's poor. But I swear I faintly hear..............[​IMG]

Afraid there's too many broken parts in all the wrong places right now. Next man up has turned into second/third team up. Munch's departure has single-handedly killed this offense just like Hampton/Troy's did to the defense for several years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As for this season, our turning point is coming up against Cincy. Time to find how much this team wants to compete. For that matter, time to find out what both Randy and Mason can do; oh most definitely the former.

In terms of the future if Mason is the guy?! Get back to me after the 2020 NFL Draft. For that matter, get back to me after the 2020 Season. That alone is way too far out there to draw any major conclusion.

The defense is set for the future. The pieces are there currently. The issue is the lack of Offensive Firepower; firepower that cannot stay healthy the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Until I see one of two things, I have to say dim.

1. Tomlin having the team ready to play and making the best of what he has (in other words, what he gets paid to do)

Or

2. A new coaching staff

• Like Like x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    upload_2019-11-18_18-27-53.jpeg Story of our season....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The future is bright in 2020 with a healthy Ben, and some speedy new players at RB and WR.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    As far as the future goes, we have one year, possibly two before it's over for a few years.

Ben will be gone, the whole OL will be gone, or in Depends.

Watt, and Minkah shortly after, will become cap killers. Maybe Juju as well.

Haden will be gone. Nelson will be up.

Heyward and Alualu will be done. Hargrave gone. Dupree probably gone.

We'll need a QB. Can't get one this year. And if we do well with Ben next year then we'll have no chance next in 2021, unless we give up multiple first rounders +, which we can't afford to do because of all the replacements we'll need. It looks like a tough few years coming up.

And we're screwed in this years draft

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think 2020 could be a great season if we can avoid the killer injury bug. There’s a small chance of a playoff run this year, but even if we make it to the playoffs our Super Bowl would be pulling off an upset in the wild card round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I like where the defense is headed.
    We have a younger group in some areas.
    Losing Hargrave and Dupree will hurt.
    Dupree is going to sign for way too much money. He can never stay healthy. This is the best health he has every been in. Of course a contract year.
    Might be a chance with Hargrave, but who knows he might test the market too.

Steelers need to get another wide out. I have faith that Johnson is going to be good, he gets separation, and appears to be a good route runner.

They need running back too. Conner can't stay healthy long enough.

Steelers are going to have to find a few pieces in Free Agency with limited draft picks.

Going to be a tough one. Looks like the Ravens keep drafting wiser and making better FA choices than we have lately.

They took the risk on Lamar Jackson and it's paying off nicely for them, as not too many NFL teams of had a answer to him yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You know Ben grew that beard to hide his chins, don't ya?

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    As do most fat people.

I can’t grow a beard :(

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    You literally named everybody...Minkah is in his SECOND year, Watt will not be let go, Feiler, Finney will be around...You can say this about any team...We will not get rid of EVERYONE

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Mark Ingram would've been a nice free agent pickup for the Steelers :hehehe:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    As long as he loses those extra chins by training camp :thumbs_up:, then we're good

• Like Like x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
  17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    We have a lot of young players, and from memory some of them very well might be gone next year. A limited draft, up against the cap, yet parity in the NFL is still pretty rampant. It is hard to count on draft picks to step in immediately, yet they are going to have to find a gem or 2. Also who can we (or do we keep from going on the FA market. Finally with the scant dollars they have the mid level FA signings we have to be better in production than what they have gotten the last couple of years. Nelson is playing great, Barron started off slow and has had a few decent moments of late Will that continue).

• Like Like x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    This picture next to your bearded Ben AV looks like soup line.

19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Ok the big 4 lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One thing about the NFL is that situations can change from one season to the next depending on different factors. In this day and age there is always hope for the future with the way the league is designed.

Injuries have put a major damper on this team's ability to win games.

NFL rosters generally have a large turnover of players every 4 or 5 seasons.

Another thing is the Steelers generally don't stay a team with a losing or bad record for very long. They haven't had a losing season since 2003. Their worst non playoff stretch was from 1998 to 2000 (7-9, 6-10, 9-7).

They will need to find a new GM, QB, and possibly HC soon. Tomlin may or might not stay depending on the GM. Not having the right GM and HC tandem could set the organization back. They made some uncharacteristic moves as of late so who knows what the organization has in store for the future?

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like some of the players assembled. But as others have mentioned
    the organization could be going in a different direction after next year.
    I guess we will have to see what happens. If you go down thru our roster
    you could probably eliminate over a third of it.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Dim because of the salary cap and draft situation. Between AB's dead money and Ben's salary... Steelers won't be able to do much in Free Agency in 2020 and 2021. Steelers are gonna need OLB, DE, OT, TE, RB, WR... and it won't be cheap. Not many draft picks to work with in 2020.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    AB’s dead money hit was all in 2019. The salary cap issues in ‘20-21 are Ben and both lines. The D line is earning its high pay. The O line looks like it’s aging rapidly, and is underperforming it’s cap value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Really? I thought it was a 2-year hit on the cap from AB's dead money. I stand corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    $21 million of pain, all right now. The AB legacy.