1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well who really is ready in the 2nd game of their 2nd season sitting behind a HOF QB? I have started coming down on Mason but his play isn't the only thing bad. I mean injuries are a big key and Fitch stinks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I can easily accept imperfection with a guy in MR's position as you point out hell, I remember watching Bradshaw in his first couple years and it was exasperating. But what I can't get beyond, for me, is the exact same repeated unforced errors in every game. Bradshaw would make risky play calls or try to throw a ball into a tiny window and have it intercepted, MR throws from his back foot and behind receivers even when there is little or no pressure?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The OP had 20 “disagrees”, but it’s now only 19. He must have had a convert.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think what has gone relatively unnoticed or being given enough attention is that for some reason our brilliant OC decided it was in our best interest to let MR throw the ball 44 times. How were Ben’s performances throwing the ball that many times with much better weapons? A one score game for most of the game and he had 44 attempts? Add in the fact we lost two of our WRs along the way. Yes we lost Conner but Samuels was still available and has proven capable when called upon. No denying MR can play better but we are back to not putting our players in a position to succeed again, just on the offensive side now. Terrible game planning and play calling. Terrible OL play. Weapons dropping like flies. The deck is totally stacked against MR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well we have 10 days till we have to play the Bungals maybe the game planning will be better...........I am gonna say no as Fitch stinks.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Nobody has ever seen what Dobbs can do as the starter, getting starter reps with the guys who will be playing on game day. Any comparison between Dobbs and Rudolph in regular season play is speculative and based on very limited data. I favored Rudolph over Dobbs coming out of preseason, and was happy that the team made the decision to go with Rudolph. However, Rudolph has regressed badly, and has had stretches of games where he has looked worse than Dobbs did vs. the Raiders, yet Rudolph has done so while enjoying the benefit of being the starting QB that was at the center of the game plan. Do I think Dobbs could do better? Yeah I do. I think it’s close to a 50/50 proposition, but it’s one I would sign up for at this point. I’d rather have Dobbs making a small handful of great plays vs a small handful of bad ones than what we’re seeing from Rudolph, which is a mix of checkdowns and mistakes.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Sure, every QB has their bad games. The problem is that Rudolph makes almost no great throws to balance it out. He is serviceable as a check down guy when the game is close, but he fell on his face when the team needed him to produce when down double digits in the second half. I’m not giving up on him long-term - yet, but I think he needs a time out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Rams and Browns have a pretty good defense front, that was tough sledding for Rudolph. If he looks as bad against Cincy, he’s out of excuses.

I’m not confident. Even when he has a clean pocket he has made terrible throws. This is part of the reason I want to sit him down, he seems overwhelmed.

9. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I think the best comparison happened last night. Phillip Rivers threw 4 pics and the last one solidified the loss. But after 3 picks, the chargers were still within one score of tying and in the red zone with time to spare. Even with 4 picks, Rivers was successful enough with the other passes to nearly match Mahomes and the Chiefs.

I can't say that MR would have been as successful. Actually, no one can. Because he hasn't had a game this season where his performance would sustain 4 picks.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s speculation on either side. The only comparison that can be relatively fair is MR played better than Dobbs when he had to relieve Ben in the Seattle game as opposed to Dobbs second half against Oakland last year. About the same experience for each at the time. MR also clearly outplayed Dobbs in the PS with a year less experience against relatively the same competition. There’s no telling how Dobbs would be playing 7 games in. It’s more likely he would suffer the same fate as MR under the same circumstances.

MR wasn’t losing us games up until Thursday and having him attempt 44 passes on a short week ,on the road is beyond asinine. What I think is being missed besides MRs draft stock and the fact he outperformed Dobbs in the PS is teams are more than ever keeping QBs as backups that provide the more seamless transitions between QBs should one go down. They don’t want to have to revamp game plans to suit a different style of QB. MR is a pocket passer like Ben so it’s a easier transition.

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yeah I guess you're right. At the risk of violating MB rules, I'll just say that I'm not a fan of being forced to pay for a service that I dont want or need and can do myself.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree like I said before in this thread however like I said I am not sure all the blame can be put on him.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I get what you're saying. It's a convenience and, compared to CA. the price is a bargain!
    I worked at a full service gas station when I was younger and I miss that level of service. In OR, all they do is pump your gas for you, you still have to clean your own windows, check oil, tires, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Some of you guys are serious master-debaters and really need to get out in public a little more often because your keyboard skills are overtaking your social skills.

• Like Like x 1
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Some of us have been married for a long time. We have to be master-debaters ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Did the gas station think in HS, full service. Used to hate the people that would ask for you to check the oil and transmission fluid and clean the windows in the middle of huge rush :butcher:

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    ……...and the tires and brake fluid! We had a lot of older customers who LOVED to make you check everything!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Somebody was probably pulling a “Fake Disagree “

19. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    But did he have a bofa?

20. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Seems like a weird thing to keep track of, but I guess he's slowly changing hearts and minds. After Thursday night someone on the fence must've changed their mind.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There was a RB Sunday who had 0 yards on 6 carries with 1 TD. Our RB's were almost that good against the browns, except they had no TD.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Neither was Dobbs, who sucked the one time he was called upon for more than a single play last season and then lost the No. 2 job to Rudolph. Neither guy was a good option for this season, but Rudolph clearly demonstrated that he was the better option. He did that this preseason while getting just as much work against starters and as much work against future grocery baggers as Dobbs.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How dare you bring facts into this discussion!:drinks:

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The fair comparison is preseason, in which Rudolph outplayed Dobbs by a significant margin and took the No. 2 job from him. There is no evidence to support the idea that Dobbs could be a successful starter.

People are overreacting to Rudolph's stinker against the Browns, a game in which the Steelers couldn't run the ball, failed to protect the quarterback and lost their top two receivers to concussions. Once Conner left the game, they really didn't have much choice but to throw the ball even though it was desperation move to be putting the ball in the air so much under those circumstances.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m kind of weird about my memory for numbers. Actually, I’m just kind of weird. :smiley1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.