1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Whatever happened to...........

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Spartacus, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't see them drafting Maurkice's replacement until he is gone. Too many other needs in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Depends on who is available. Again, see above. Should neither be available, the second round pick could very well go to the defense.

As you said, Bud and Javon are likely gone. Their price point is simply too high for Pittsburgh to afford. An EDGE or Interior Defensive Lineman likely takes Round 2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they can find a guy in the later rounds to develop, then maybe they will, I wouldn't use my second round pick in 2020 on a center.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Spartacus.

I cannot imagine that it would fall apart that quick with Munch leaving. Actually, I think statistically, prior to the Browns' game, Mason was receiving outstanding Pass Protection. I would have to look up the stats but I think that they "have" been good. The running aspect has always been suspect even when Munch was here. STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I feel like they aren't doing the line any favors by leaving Mason in empty sets. I rarely see any chips by RB's or TE's either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Nope, We require 1st rounders on defense. 10 is not enough. :lolol:

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

You are TELLING me!! It takes THAT much talent to overcome inefficient coaching?! For that matter, while Minkah Fitzpatrick counts as the 2020 First Round selection, he did not start his career in Pittsburgh!!

You actually make a good indirect point though. How much First Round talent in the Offensive Positions is it going to take for Randy Fichtner?! Seven?! :eek:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Yes, that is certainly a Security Blanket that would help. He may need Max-protect at times. Once again.... coaching or lack there of.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Ugh please stop with the Munchak obsession. He hasn't done crap with Denver's oline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t follow Denver closely but maybe the talent isn’t there and it’s only his first year. Maybe he can get a chance there first?

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Ok yes that's fair but this obsession people in Pittsburgh are having. He wanted to leave! He openly told ownership he didn't want to sign an extension. Move on. Although I will say Shaun Sarrett does not appear to be getting through to these guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I wonder what happened to the offensive line then, what else changed? (not arguing, just wondering...)
    I said last year that age was going to be an issue with this Oline, but I didn't think they were going to fall off a cliff.

13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    What happened to our OL????

The perfect storm happened!!!
    -Munch Left
    -Sarrett replaces him
    -No Run game!! All three RB injured and spent time inactive
    -No true #1 WR and in-experienced WR Corp..... Defenses loading the box and blitzing
    -QB is 2nd year, pocket awareness is a liability
    -OC sucks at play calling, should have some designed roll outs to give Mason some time
    -players aging out , AV overweight and regressing

How to fix.....
    -Fire Sarrett, Promote Flemm and bring in Big Red as his asst.
    -Put AV on a diet and running drills.... feet now too slow
    -move Feiler to LG which is our weakest position
    -Go after George Fant, RT, Seattle, in the offseason FA
    -First Two draft choices Must be OL, one interior and one Tackle

They Like Finney as Pounceys replacement ... he struggled at LG while Foster was out so let’s see what he does the next three games

Cajun

14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Yes they have steelersrule6!

Hopefully, they got this bad performance out of their system. They are one of the constants that we need to be able to count on. Especially, with a young QB. We also need JuJu and Diontae back for the next game. Hopefully, they are healthy and clear concussion protocol.

15. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012

You're probably right Steelwinds, maybe I just posted out of frustration.

16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Spartacus.

Yes, I too have been posting a bit out of frustration since the last game. That is what a performance like that can do to one.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    So, in a nutshell, rebuild the Oline. That sounds familiar...

18. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I think with better QB play, our line will again start to look better.

19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Da Stellars!

I replied to this yesterday. However, it is worth repeating. The coaching staff has to put Mason in the most advantageous positions possible. If that means Max-Protect then so be it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Pretty good assessment. I recall reading somewhere that Munch was heavily involved in game planning the Offensive scheme. I think this might be one of the biggest losses. In spite of age, Pouncey, DeCastro, and Foster did not forget how to play. The inexperience in those setting the game plan has to be one of the issues. Another loss is of course Nix, that has hurt tremendously. Last thought, which may get a laugh, but has losing Jesse James had some impact? IDK, just looking for answers.

21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Having a solid blocking TE in there vs a extra OT who will never be a threat releasing into a passing pattern is to me always better.......
    Bringing in Banner as a tackle eligible on tells the the defense to Load the box!!!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey cajunyankee.

Just compare rosters of when we were successful
    Hey again Da Stellars.

I was thinking again about the Max-Protect issue that we discussed yesterday. If Mason is not comfortable back there, the coaching staff has to do everything in their control to get him as comfortable as possible. I just felt that this was worth repeating since I have read about this concern constantly on this board.

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Haven’t we been saying the same thing about the D for the last 4-5 years? Putting them in a position to succeed? Well it seems 9 first rounders was the answer on D especially adding a true FS that they neglected and fooled themselves into thinking they didn’t need. A true FS changed our D.

Now we’re saying the same thing about the O. How many 1st rounders will RF need to look competent? Jumping around from game to game yesterday I noticed quite a few QBs that surely aren’t future HOFers or franchise QBS having success. Mostly because there were quality game plans and play calling taking place. Plays seemingly designed to attack weaknesses on not the tired old mantra “we do what we do” because it certainly looks like we don’t know what we’re doing on O. No rhythm, no flow , no plan and no identity. That’s ok once we invest in enough 1st rounders on O we’ll be ready to compete. Problem is it will be time to rebuild the defense....

• Like Like x 1
  24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey thesteeldeal.

Yes, you are right ("Problem is it will be time to rebuild the defense") and around and round we go. Why does it seem that we just now are becoming incompetent at drafting. 4-5 years to me is "just now" IMO. We just used to seem so much better at it. If we had this new and improved "D" plus last year's "O" man would we be dangerous.

Who knew that BB was to get hurt and that Bell and Brown were to "flip out". The Brown and Bell pieces are actually bigger, to me, than Ben. I think that their experience would have been helping this team a whole lot right now. Deny it or not they were two very, very high-powered cogs in our "O" machine that Mason could really use right now.

Connor and JuJu just cannot do what they do/did. Shoot, teams had to special game plan for each. Brown Triple team sometimes and Bell, 80+ receptions/year. Bell was a serious safety valve for Ben that Mason would have had the luxury of right now along with his RB style. Maybe his absence is in part trickling down to the ineffectiveness of the OL. I really believe it is.

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    IF they are going to take an OL in the 2nd, I hope its a LT candidate because in my limited viewing, AV has looked bad. I don't know how he has been playing of late. But LTs are harder to find than C which would warrant the higher round selection imo. I would even go LG over C next. I like Finney as the interior depth but as a starter, the next 3 games will tell.
    I wouldn't move Feiler from RT just so he can build some consistency.
    Not sure they go OL in the 2nd, we'll have to see how it all plays out come draft time.

Speaking of "Whatever happened to"... Have our TE's been removed from the offensive game plan? TEs used to be a young QB's best friend. But it doesn't seem like they are being targeted when I read the game summaries. Am I wrong?