1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Nov 15, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

A very simple reason for that. Not too difficult though I promise. Bill Walsh is a legend whereas Randy Fichtner is in over his head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would not take anything away from that pic. Mason is disappointed. Nothing more to it than that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Weren’t we talking about chipping their edge rushers before the game even started? Amazing that once the coaches saw AV couldn’t handle MG they still did nothing. Don’t know how you can defend the coaches for something so obviously wrong. It’s certainly looking like it’s gonna take a minimum of 8 first rounders for our OC to look competent now. Hey it worked for our DC....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol:

Me and @Roonatic were JUST talking about this in another thread!! Glad I am not the only one that sees this! I stated seven firsts for Randy!! What say you?!

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey HeinzMustard.

I agree with you 100%. We cannot at this point in the season start playing "Musical QBs". We are as I say still "Significant". We have a shot to still make some noise. Mason has to fight through these growing pains to see what we have. Hopefully, Thursday's game was a rare event. Putting in Duck would be like starting all over again with Mason in some regards. To me that would be like conceding the season. And I personally, do not want to wait a whole year, of any year, to concede any season. That is a complete waste of time, one less year of my life (sorry to sound morbid), and just not sensible. All IMO folks.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't think Mason lacks confidence or work ethic. It's ability. I think at best he'll be a nice game manager and back up. Which isn't a bad thing.

Not everybody is a superstar QB. The world needs good back ups too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, the world needs ditch diggers too.

- Judge Smails

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

pimply?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jball.

We just do not know what we have with Mason yet. Way too early to know. Too small of a work sample. Too many folks want immediate gratification (not picking on you). I want it too. Remember Terry Bradshaw did not light it up right away either. We are all spoiled (myself included) with how Ben evolved. Once in a Blue Moon event. Now, remember all of the QBs between TB and BB. Ugh!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Tom Brady, Russel Wilson, That Guy that plays for Baltimore, Kyler Murray, Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson, even Colon Krapyerdick! Some guys are decent to really good from the start. Mason isn't one of those guys imo. Could he be? I guess we'll find out whether he's another Ben, or another Mark Malone. :puking 5:

11. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    The most ridiculous thing is that the Steelers do not employ a QB coach.
    Is this true?....Why in the world have we not hired one since Ben went down.This kid could use somebody specifically helping him with footwork , mechanics and such.The most important position on the field should have extra coaching especially if your basically running with a rookie.jmo

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My guess is they are letting Randy handle dual roles.

That doesn't seem to be panning out on either end.

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

Not to mention he's just not releasing the ball. That 4th down play Holton was wide open and he saw him and held the ball until it was too late.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I posted about that yesterday. In the early 70's people were calling for Bradshaw's head, calling for Hanratty. Then in 74 Joe Gilliam actually beat those 2 out in preseason. The team was 4-1 (as I recall) yet Gilliam kept getting worse. He kept passing, I think 50x in one game, with Franco, Frenchy, and Rocky as RB's. I know Brad called his own plays, I do not know if Joe did, or just audibled. He also had an addiction that likely lead to his poor performance. MR had a decent college career, so did Hanratty...the latter sucked as a pro. I know hard to make comparisons, different eras, really a different game. If all things were decent, running game, good line, good receivers MR might be a good game manager, as it stands we have none of the above and his weaknesses are glaring.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    They had one, he became OC..how is that going?

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Seldom do dual roles rarely work anyhow. There is too much responsibility at that. However, there is a bigger issue here.

Why have essentially a Rookie OC handle QB Coaching duties?! This season was pretty much under the belief Big Ben would be fine throughout all 16 games. That said, having a failsafe option would have been the much safer play. That did not happen however.

That lack of foresight DOES befall on Tomlin for inefficient planning. Big Ben was entering the year at 37. Why not have a QB Coach in case of an emergency?! I understand Big Ben is a HOF QB but that does not mean one cannot prepare for the worst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    A qb coach might threaten Fitchner is my guess.

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This^ The have given him a seven course dinner from the start. It's too much. They should be telling him here is your primary, if it's not there take the check down. Then gradually let him work progressions as he is brought up to real game speed.

Watching football today there are quarterbacks with comparable skills as Mason doing more with less. Just some real crap that RF is throwing out there.

19. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    maybe I’m not getting it

I enjoy your posts just thought you were pulling a Glenn getting personal for a difference of opinion

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jball.

I still think that in part, Mason just does not have a consistent enough supporting cast on "O" at this point. The WRs and RBs are somewhat talented but young. The TEs are playing a Houdini from the "O". The line has been good except for the last game. As I stated with one of my first posts weeks ago, this is Mason's cohort.

They all are about the same age with all about 1-3 years of playing experience. We cannot rush the hands of time of to see how this plays out. It just will one way or another. Just hope this is not the 80s or 90s drought of QB play. Ben fell into an ideal situation both on "O" and "D" folks and think about all of the in between QBs from Bradshaw to him.

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Rudolph with your nose so bright, why did you stink Thursday night?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Saw that when I looked at a taped version. OMG.. Talk about open.. I dont think there was anyone near him for 20 yards either direction. I may take back all the good things I said about Mason particularly the part about having good field vision. I think we need to see more of Mason to come to any conclusion on his overall efficacy. It could take a year or two and if history is any indicator of success we typically jump to far too soon with our condemnation and armchair prophecies.

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think it's because nobody ever says "woah dude, WTF, you're taking that statement exactly in context":hehehe: