1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tomlin Legacy Folks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Nov 15, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Troybellringer hit the nail on the head. The fact that Pittsburgh is still in the playoff hunt is remarkable in it of itself. Not to be a broken record player but I do pose a question.

How many coaches not named Bill Belichick can navigate the entire season without their HOF Quarterback?!?! :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well let The Darkness shed a little light. I’m not arguing the fact he has a track record of performances that fall into the “ playing down” category. My point is strictly based on this particular game. Home teams typically get a 3pts simply for being the home team. Adding in the short week is statistically a advantage as well that factors in.
    Cleveland is certainly a joke of a franchise but they are very talented this year. The6 had the short week advantage and gained a even more superior advantage as the game wore on because we lost a couple of our better players. Add in the fact our OL showed no fight until the fight and IMO I just don’t categorize this loss as your typical Tomlin stinker...(light switch off)...

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s not a stinker. It’s not like we are a loaded Ben team coming into a 2-10 dolphin stadium needing to beat them to retain top seed.

this is simply not the case. We are a bruised and beaten team that played on a short week on the road vs a talented but stupid divisional team that beat the ravens.

I don’t fault tomlin at all on this one. Not a tomlin apologist either, it is what it is and I’ll chew on it

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Your new title: Darkness, The Rudimentary Contrarian.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Not smart enough to know what that means. I hope it’s a compliment :hmm::smiley1:

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's a lil wordy. Let's go back to: The Darkness, Lousy Fan.

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Who is responsible for the team to be prepared and show up? Hope this won't turn out like it did against Jax 2 years ago losing twice to Bortles in our house and one a playoff game after a bye.. Could you say that was a coaching related issue then?

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. My speed and my comfort zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I just can't fathom the lofty expectations you people have for this particular version of The Pittsburgh Steelers. Cue Jim Mora, please. "Playoffs!?" I'm amazed that they are 5-5. Lose our future HoF QB for the season, and you people expect a second year dude to step in and chuck the rock around like Joe Montana with the "talent" they have at WR without AB to draw double coverage. They have a Faberge Egg as their number one back, a couple of decent back ups, a great fullback that is out for the year and a rookie who is on IR. A finally healthy TE who has shown flashes in the past, but looks completely irrelevant without Ben. Add to that a once highly regarded but aging o-line and all of this, including the injuries lies at HCMT's feet? Really?

Then please explain to me why Tomlin receives almost no credit herein about how well the defense has performed. Or even Keith Butler. Or is it all organic? Fitzpatrick got here and solved everything on his own, the coaching had nothing to do with it, right? Look, I get it. I still think they could do better with their coordinators and ST's are atrocious but if you people want some street cred, then please give credit where it is due instead of blaming every thing every time on the coaching staff.

It's the simple little things that are maddening. Look, I liked what I saw out of Diontae Spencer and Tuzar Skipper. Some of you people act as if their mere presence, and/or the presence of Joshua Dobbs would put this team over the top. Each year all 32 teams are forced to make tough decisions on players they really like but play a position that in their opinion is loaded with talent. The most head scratching was to keep Switzer over someone like Spencer but I don't watch these players everyday and neither do any of you.

I'm not a football junkie. I no longer do fantasy leagues because the amount of time that one must spend on them to be competitive simply isn't my cup of team and I'm not willing to put the time into it. Not a huge college football fan nor do I study the NFL draft or take part in mock drafts. I never played organized ball and I am not nearly as schooled as many of you are about the nuts and bolts aspect of it. I like to tune in and watch my beloved Steelers try to win games, but I came to the conclusion a few years back that my life isn't going to be affected one iota over whether they win or lose. It is simply a hobby, a distraction to the daily grind we all face. I use to be "one of those fans". Angered beyond reason over a bad loss or lured in to a false belief that a Steeler win automatically made for a better week, or even a better day.

Bottom line, I love this team. I'm a child of the 70's, and my family, like many withstood some tough times back then and we had "our team" every Sunday to bring us together and act as a fun distraction for a few hours. But, their fate isn't mine, nor does it define my life. The whole reason for this rambling post is that I'm placing what I post here in perspective, and some of the comments I read yesterday and today trouble me. Posts about wanting to see Rudolph hurt, etc. While they might be an attempt at humor or tongue-in-cheek, they make me question someone's sanity. I even posted something nasty about Morgan Burnett in the game day thread that I later wished I hadn't and probably should have deleted.

I'm just asking to keep it all in perspective. Mike Tomlin is not the doofus some of you paint him out to be because for whatever reason, what the Steelers do from week to week has a higher priority in your life than it should. He's a professional football coach, and a damn good one. He, Danny Smith, Keith Butler and Randy Fichtner are not out to ruin you life. Or your day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They're doing an very good job at that, for not even trying.:glare:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    We aren't making the playoffs anyway so doesn't really matter.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Your right about this year but how about next year?

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    When does Ben's rehab start? Looking like a well payed bum.

14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel Hog.

I do not like making predictions. If I could, and be accurate, I would share the lottery numbers with my Steeler comrades and we all could be rich. I for one have not thrown in the towel on the season. And as I say, I think we are still "significant" at this point. Yes, the Brown loss sucked, it hurt mathematically, and was a win I was hoping/counting on.

If we can win out, which I know is a tall order, but doable since we are significant (smile). This by far was Mason's worst game. Up to this point and I strongly emphasize, this was the only game that he played that I can actually blame him in big part for the loss. Look at the other losses, as I have been saying, are the results of other players not named Mason.

Example: The Seattle game. Moncrief's tipped pass leads to interception, leads to Seattle TD, in big part leads to the "L". There are others. Analyze them. The one thing I will place some extra blame on Mason is lack of Red Zone efficiency. However, we have been struggling with that for years with Ben as well. How about those 30 points a game we would always hear about but rarely came to fruition.

Now if Mason continues to have more games like his last one, then yes I will righteously place the blame where it belongs. However, realistically IMO Mason should only be accountable for one loss under his starting assignments.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He’s done.
    Ravens have at least 41 on the media darling Texans.

Tomlin teams aren’t Steelers football.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I disagree, the team was simply not ready to play a critical, prime time, game. Not at any phase of the game! It was 60 minutes, and countless possessions, of the same BS. That falls squarely on Tomlin.

17. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I tip my cap cap and eat my popcorn for Tomlin having to play Rudolph as your QB.

18. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You miss my point. I don't have a problem with holding Tomlin accountable for the team's failures, my issue is that the team's successes are not accounted to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Bens rehab has been at the dinner table, he has to be about 260 now, he looks more like a lineman than a QB on the sideline.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He's really been pushing himself.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Going way back Don Shula did it 2x with Earl Morrall. In '68 Johnny U was out for 9 games (though they lost in the SB to the Jets). In '72 he filled in for Bob Griese for 11 games and of course the perfect season (yes I had to check sources, I only remembered Morrall filled in, lol).

And of course our beloved Chuck Noll did it in '76 with Mike Kruczek. Of course having that D and 2 thousand yard runners, and 2 HOF receivers made Chuck's job a little easier.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    We wont worry about the official weigh in until after the holidays.

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Is Ben on board with this? Time will tell.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You do realize the origin of the word fan don't you? You do realize that no fan has the right to say another fan is a lousy fan don't you?

That kinda makes you the lousy fan:hehehe:

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I didn't give Darkness either of his titles, I just cleaned them up a little bit.

• Like Like x 1